investing in iraqi dinar?

jonnyfin

Golden Member
Dec 29, 1999
Just wanted to get the forums thoughts on investing in the new iraqi dinar; here's a good article: Bloomberg

This site here you can use paypal or cc to purchase 1,000,000 dinar for like $895...i checked out the ebay feedback and all seems legit, but i kinda got a weird feeling..
wholesaledinar

Anyways, currently one dinar is like 1/8 of a u.s. penny, however it could go up or down..doesn't seem anymore risky than the stock market. But, for longterm invenstors this could be a windfall! imagine buying 1m dinar for $895 and in 10 years one iraqi dinar is worth .25 u.s.

btw, i am in no way affiliated with any dinar resellers, hmmmm...maybe i should buy dinarresellerratings.com? just wanted to get your thoughts...

also, there are a LOT of places online selling iraqi dinar from anywhere from $895 - $1600+ / 1m dinar, but not all take credit cards or paypal..and anyone'd be crazy to do a wiretransfer or cashiers checks to these places...

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: jonnyfin
imagine buying 1m dinar for $895 and in 10 years one iraqi dinar is worth .25 u.s.

Why would this happen?

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: mugs
imagine buying 1m dinar for $895 and in 10 years one iraqi dinar is worth .25 u.s.

Why would this happen?

investment, economical growth, oil industry

Cattlegod

Diamond Member
May 22, 2001
hmm, does anyone who knows anything about this have any good input? i'd think about buying 2,000 worth, maybe more.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: jpeyton

Why would this happen?

I understand the concept, I'm wondering why he thinks Iraq's economy would be so much stronger than ours.

MiniDoom

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2004

Why would this happen?

I understand the concept, I'm wondering why he thinks Iraq's economy would be so much stronger than ours.

Not that it is stronger, but that it will grow. Look at Saudi Arabia...doesn't sound like a bad deal.

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000

Why would this happen?

he never said that. he's just saying that their economy could rebound under democratic government rule in 10 years. Considering that they have quite a bit of oil, it could happen.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I go to a weekly auction... every week they have a few hundred dinar bills floating around... The auctioneers have managed to not flood their own little market - they get a pretty decent price from hicks who have no idea the actual worth and are just collecting it for the sake of collecting it - no clue they could obtain them elsewhere for a fraction of what they're spending.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: KLin

Why would this happen?

he never said that. he's just saying that their economy could rebound under democratic government rule in 10 years. Considering that they have quite a bit of oil, it could happen.

I suppose, it doesn't seem too stable right now though. With our history of setting up governments that don't work out so well, I'd think it's a pretty risky investment.

Cattlegod

Diamond Member
May 22, 2001
is there anyway to buy iraqi and then invest it in the US market so you get some growth along with the value if any that the iraqi money goes up?

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000

Why would this happen?

I suppose, it doesn't seem too stable right now though. With our history of setting up governments that don't work out so well, I'd think it's a pretty risky investment.

It worked out for Japan. ;)

MiniDoom

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2004

Why would this happen?

And Europe..

FleshLight

Diamond Member
Mar 18, 2004

Why would this happen?

And the Phillipines would have been the next Japan with the infrastructure we set up except we pussied out of there.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
My brother and I have been kicking around the idea of buying foreign coinage for use as counters and chips and money when playing games. You should be able to get a pretty decent amount of coin for fairly little....just need to find out how to do it.

I joked that in addition to you getting a very cheap but very useful and durable alternative to poker chips, you are also theoretically boosting the economy of the country you buy the coins from. :thumbsup:

I wouldn't buy Dinars just for the sake of buying them, though. I imagine it wouldn't be a bad long term investment, but what if they new government decides to switch to a different currency?

KLin

Lifer
Feb 29, 2000
Originally posted by: FleshLight

Why would this happen?

And the Phillipines would have been the next Japan with the infrastructure we set up except we pussied out of there.

Yea well nobody's perfect.

jonnyfin

Golden Member
Dec 29, 1999
so y'all think is legit or scan?...i've been trying to find some reliable sources on these websites but am coming up empty..

about the:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why would this happen?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't get bent out of shape, i'm saying that one iraqi dinar would be worth .25 u.s. (25 cents)

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

Don't get bent out of shape, i'm saying that one iraqi dinar would be worth .25 u.s. (25 cents)

I'm not bent out of shape, I'm wondering why you think it would be worth 200 times what it's worth now.

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
It will be worth more. Iraq under Saddam was horrible. Their GDP was only $40 billion for a country that should be doing much more business. The majority of the country was not allowed to do what they wanted because the Sunni Muslims dominated the majority Shias.
This new government promises freedom. Iraq before 1990 was very rich.. well Baghdad was but when the sanctions happend the economy collapsed. Sanctions are gone .. so maybe it will go back to the way it was.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
And if the Iraqi gov't collapses and the dinar ends up worth $0.00?

DeeKnow

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2002
hey i got some Iranian Rials floating around from when I was there 8 years ago... if anybody wants those, i'd be happy to take some Paypal..!