Inverted y-axis in your console FPS's?

Ichigo

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2005
I'm used to it, but I'm wondering since it's weird to have inverted y-axis but not inverted x-axis. e.g. up/down on the stick is down/up on the screen but left/right on the stick is still left/right on screen. Some games don't give you the option for inverted x-axis either. What's your take?

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
I've played inverted since Golden Eye on the 64. It makes sense to me in a weird way if you think about it. Say the top of this T is the stick, you tilt the T to the right and the left side of the T is now looking up. I few it more as controlling your plain of vision. The plane is on the top of the stick, move the stick back you look up, move it forward you look down.

(wow that doesn't make any sense, oh well :D )

OVerLoRDI

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2006
Originally posted by: mrSHEiK124
I invert the Y-axis when I play both PC and console FPSs, it's just what I'm used to.

wow on the PC too? Crazy talk. I'm assuming on the PC you are using a mouse.

jiwq

Platinum Member
May 24, 2001
i invert y axis when playing fps. i have regular y axis in rpgs (WoW). kinda weird, but i'm used to it that way...

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: OVerLoRDI
I invert the Y-axis when I play both PC and console FPSs, it's just what I'm used to.

I invert also on PC. I'm not even a console gamer. Hell yea. Leet gamers do this.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
I played flight sim games alot growing up so inverting the Y-axis just came naturally to me when FPSs got popular.

However, after not playing FPSs for a while inverting the Y-axis became foreign. Now I don't invert at all.

Ichigo

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2005
I can't speak properly today. I meant that I do use inverted y-axis but with normal x-axis. Does anything find it strange that all games allow for the inverted y-axis but not the inverted x-axis? If it's like a plane, and pulling the stick back goes up and vice versa, wouldn't having an inverted x-axis make sense? I mean, I play alright and all with JUST the inverted y-axis, but it seems more natural to aim up/right by pressing down/left instead of down/right.

Jan 31, 2002
Originally posted by: DLeRium
Originally posted by: OVerLoRDI

I invert also on PC. I'm not even a console gamer. Hell yea. Leet gamers do this.

:beer:

- M4H

ntdz

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2004
I play inverted as well. I'm just used to playing it that way...and I honestly don't know how I got used to playing like that.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Gee, what happens when you tilt you head BACK!!!!!!!!!!!

oh, you look up!

of course you invert it, otherwise you are a noob and have severe motor function problems.

SWScorch

Diamond Member
May 13, 2001
Gotta have the Y-axis inverted. It just make sense that way to me, maybe because the first game I ever played was Descent.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Ichigo
I can't speak properly today. I meant that I do use inverted y-axis but with normal x-axis. Does anything find it strange that all games allow for the inverted y-axis but not the inverted x-axis? If it's like a plane, and pulling the stick back goes up and vice versa, wouldn't having an inverted x-axis make sense? I mean, I play alright and all with JUST the inverted y-axis, but it seems more natural to aim up/right by pressing down/left instead of down/right.

I think you are pretty much alone on this one.

Ika

Lifer
Mar 22, 2006
I play inverted y-axis. I simply can't have it any other way. I've never played any flight sims, though, and I'm really not sure why I'm inverted.

Ichigo

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2005
This whole topic was about inverted x-axis, but I've learned that I no speaketh engrish so goodly.

secretanchitman

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
i invert ONLY on consoles. dunno why, i guess the game descent (best shooting game back in the day) made me do it, and that was a PC game.

like halo 1/2 on xbox? it has to be inverted, or else ill die very very quickly.

spacelord

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2002
have always inverted Y-axis, since Doom 1 and Descent. Never even considered inverting the X.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
Originally posted by: Oblivionaire
Why would you want to invert x? Are you dyslexic or something?

i invert in it WoW and i did on teh ratchet and clank games, basicially i do it whenever i can, IDK why it just feels more natural

trmiv

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I have always inverted the Y axis on both computers and consoles. I can't used to it the other way.