Invert mouse y-axis

solariusx3

Jul 4, 2005
Just wondering how many people here use inverted mouse when playing fps or 3rd person.
My friends thinks its a rare minority that people use inverted mouse or is it like lefty and righty?

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Only inverted for the games that force you to use a gamepad (Resistance Fall of Man for instance).

It comes from playing lots of Star Fox and Star Fox 64 followed up with being able to find the invert option on Sin & Punishment (N64 Import; the aiming reticle was just too much like Star Fox).

I always played the alternate Turok: Dinosaur Hunter style in Goldeneye/Perfect Dark ("Solitaire" IIRC, but I always just called it "Turok-style"), which was the precursor to current dual-analog controls, but it takes me a while to get used to it in dual-analog FPS games now. I just switch it if it has the option. I can't believe that Free Radical continues making games with the default Goldeneye/Perfect Dark controls (Timesplitters)!

I'm still pissed that Call of Duty 3 and Resistance Fall of Man, both on the PS3, did not have mouse and keyboard (MKB) support so I could play them without inverting. I should have just played CoD3 on my Wii. That's about as close to MKB as a console could get without a MKB... unless you count the Nintendo DS (Metroid Prime Hunters anyone?).

solariusx3

Jul 4, 2005
haha the word is "may". Does it matter if u invert y-axis ?....its just says something on how ur brain sees things.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
the mouse isn't a joystick, so no :p

mouse = cursor on screen, mouse pad = screen itself... moving the mouse up and to the left on the mouse pad means the reticle should move up and to the left on the screen ;)

of course arguing over right and wrong is silly, it is simply whatever works best for you

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I play non-inverted and can't stand inverted. The only time I use inverted y-axis is with any flying game, obviously.

I don't understand why so many people use inverted! A friend of mine who uses inverted had said a long time ago, something about leaning back and forth with the inverted mouse movements. Like if you pull the mouse back (down), you want to sort of lean back with it, so as your aim in a FPS game moves up, you kind of follow it up.

I guess that sort of makes sense, but I don't bounce around, well not too often anyway, while gaming. I think he's sitting too damn close to the monitor! :)

Actually the only thing that bothers me about people playing inverted is when they play some game(s) on my computer and set to inverted, next time I play the game, GD inverted! One of my buddies did this a ton to me. Happens with console too.

Arglebargle

Dec 2, 2006
I play inverted. First started playing games on someone else's computer, and their set up was inverted, so it became the norm. Anything else just mucks up the reflexes....

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
I did a poll on this here a whiel back, most people don't invert their mice, but a sizeable minority do. I always have, it seems to be an oldschool thing dating back to the quake era.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
Inverted. Most old school players do.

A poll would (and has in the past) work much better.

HN

Diamond Member
Jan 19, 2001
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles

mouse = cursor on screen, mouse pad = screen itself... moving the mouse up and to the left on the mouse pad means the reticle should move up and to the left on the screen ;)

of course arguing over right and wrong is silly, it is simply whatever works best for you
for me, this applies if what you're controlling is a cursor (like in an RTS). But with an FPS, you're controlling your face/field of view. so if you lean your head back, your begin to look up, and if you lean your head forward, you begin to look down.

but what do i know? i play FPS with mouse left handed (and inverted) and work with mouse right-handed :confused: :laugh:

CZroe

Lifer
Jun 24, 2001
Originally posted by: HN
Originally posted by: bunnyfubbles

for me, this applies if what you're controlling is a cursor (like in an RTS). But with an FPS, you're controlling your face/field of view.

Oh, but you are controlling a cursor... the aiming reticle. Of course, games have tried to loosen this effect since Rainbow Six, but it's still the general concept. That's why aiming within the FPS view is so much more clumsy (though realistic). Think "Metroid Prime Corruption" on the Wii... it'll only turn when you reach the outermost areas of your viewing space allowing you to aim within your viewspace. This may keep things from moving the whole screen and disorienting gamers that are not used to FPS games, but it is terrible for seasoned FPS gamers. As a result, the game will include a "pro" mode where the look and aim are more closely tied together (just a little "loose" to compensate for hand vibration and comfort).

Cluelessoldtimer

Apr 16, 2007
"The only time I use inverted y-axis is with any flying game, obviously....I don't understand why so many people use inverted!"

Many of the first video games that I played were flight games, so when a mouse replaced my joystick for FPS games, inverted just felt natural.

Was perverted...I mean inverted for years.

Then I started playing MMORPG and games like Morrowind which were First person, but not shooters. Having the inverted mouse was nice for moving the character around, but crap for interacting with stuff on the screen. So I went non-inverted, then when I when back to FPS games I was messed up with the inverted setup.

Now I'm 'normal'. :p

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
Originally posted by: duragezic

I don't understand why so many people use inverted! A friend of mine who uses inverted had said a long time ago, something about leaning back and forth with the inverted mouse movements. Like if you pull the mouse back (down), you want to sort of lean back with it, so as your aim in a FPS game moves up, you kind of follow it up.

This is the reason I play inverted. If you ever shoot a gun, a rifle for example, if you want to aim up, you lean back a bit with your back rather than use your arms entirely as its less tiring on the muscles. So to me, moving the mouse back sort of "emulates" that behavior, and it feels more natural to me.

The other fact is alot of games were inverted-y since the dawn of computer gaming (flight sims for example and other games of that nature) so I just got into the habit of it.

Mermaidman

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
Originally posted by: AlucardX
inverted, and this needs to be a poll..

And responses should include the poster's age. Lets just say I started PC gaming in the early 90s.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
inverted, probably because I played flight sims with joystick before 3D shooters existed.