Introducing a friend to the PC Gaming world

dmoney1980

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2008
Happy Friday everybody! So I'm about to build a gaming PC for one of my friends. He's been playing games on consoles his whole life, but has decided to take a leap of faith and start over with a mouse and keyboard. He's a big fan of Action/ FPS and he's all about visuals, and has a bit of ADD so I'm steering him towards the more action oriented games. Below is a list of games that I recommended to him, please leave feedback along with your suggestions!

The PC itself: AMD Phenom II x4 960T, ASUS M5A97 AM3+ mobo, Sapphire 7850 GPU, 8GB RAM, Win7 x64. He will be playing on his 1080p 60" DLP TV for now (I told him he needs a monitor, much sharper IQ)

Games recommended so far:
BF3 - first game he's buying, he loves it but hates the limited MP on the PS3 (max 24 players per map)
Metro 2033 (I have a copy in my steam gift, which I'm giving to him)
Hard Reset
Darksiders
Warhammer: Space Marine
Bulletstorm
Alan Wake
Stalker games?
Half Life 2?

Let me know what you think and what I'm missing here. I told him to give games like The Witcher, Diablo 3, Dungeon Siege 3 a shot, he might like them. This will also introduce him to a lot of indie games....

Look forward to your feedback

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
I'dd add a few indie games to that, like Terraria and Space Pirates and Zombies. Both are action games like Xbox Live games, and games you shouldn't miss (especially when they go on sale for $2.50).

surfsatwerk

Lifer
Mar 6, 2008
Make sure you tell him not to touch my stuff. I hate freaking newbies that don't know the rules.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Borderlands

Bioshock
Chronicles of Riddick

And get him to try some cheap non-FPS when they go on sale at Steam, like:
Torchlight
King's Bounty collection (w/Armored Princess + Crossworlds)

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Is he going to get a gamepad for it too? Some action games play better with a gamepad... even on a PC. I have a 360 controller hooked up to my PC at all times (I don't necessarily use it with everything though).

dmoney1980

Platinum Member
Jan 17, 2008
Is he going to get a gamepad for it too? Some action games play better with a gamepad... even on a PC. I have a 360 controller hooked up to my PC at all times (I don't necessarily use it with everything though).

yes, he purchased a 360 controller. I told him it's the best PC controller on the market anyway