Into to PC gaming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Eh, I guess I don't really see the point. By removing your right hand from the equation to use it on the mouse, you make that side of the controller much harder to access. In a sense, it effectively becomes useless! The only issue that I could imagine that you'd run into on a keyboard would be ghosting on a cheap one. It gets especially bad given that keys are reported in a grid, and a lot of the keys around WASD tend to be used.

Depending on your mouse, you can probably get away with not needing that side of the controller.

runzwithsizorz

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2002
Whatever works best for the individual. I could never get into controllers, but Runz loves his Nostromo.

The Wife

FalseChristian

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2002
Playing on a PC with Quake 1 with the HD Darkplacles mod is worth the price of admission in my book.

Plus, playing FPS (1st-person shooters) with a keyboard and a mouse makes it so much easier and enjoyable than a lousy hand controller.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
One thing I like to do is use the Xbox 360 controller with the mouse together. Anybody else tried that? Xbox controller in the left hand controlling all body movement, mouse controlling all aim and shooting.

Just remap some controls, so like you can crouch with left trigger. You'd be surprised how intuitive it is and you get the benefit of being able to use the gamepad for movement and the mouse for aiming and shooting.

I don't really see using the gamepad for movement as a benefit. Keyboard is more precise, multiple fingers > one thumb.

How do you jump, crouch, and turn with that setup?

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
I don't really see using the gamepad for movement as a benefit. Keyboard is more precise, multiple fingers > one thumb.

How do you jump, crouch, and turn with that setup?

Crouch and turn were already explained in the post you quoted.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Joysticks are just acceleration-based devices, so I'm guessing they finally get used to the acceleration rates and it ends up becoming muscle memory. Arguably, no matter how good you can get with a controller, it should still be possible to be better with a mouse given a mouse is relative (based on pointer speed) point-to-point device.

Yeah, I guess after many hours it would be doable. It's so clunky though. I definitely agree on your last point.

KT

Patre

May 29, 2013
I'm very new to PC Gaming and the first game I've been playing regularly is Crysis3. I'm using a sidewinder keyboard and a Logitech G700 mouse. Although I've adjusted the mouse settings within the game (trying to find a "controllable" setting), I'm still having a bit of a hard time zeroing on a target (usually I move pass the target too quickly) during direct combat.

I've thought about using an Xbox 360 controller to get a better "handle" on things, but it very well could be I'm still not used to working with the key/mouse combo properly or at least haven't played long enough with them to be fairly decent. My nephew visited me with his Xbox 360 and we did hook it up to my PC...... game play was much easier in movements/shooting, but most of you here seem to use the key/mouse combo right?

I'm not sure if I should stick with the key/mouse (until I improve) or get my own Xbox controller? I know this is somewhat of a personal preference but, what would you suggest to a PC gaming noob (considering long term)?

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Is there a cheep game anyone suggests that I can play to see if I even like PC gaming?

Super Meat Boy.

If you cant complete it 100% then sell your PC because PC gaming dosent want you, dont even go back to consoles just sit and play connect4 with yourself instead... GL! :thumbsup:

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
In fairness, and assuming the OP isn't just doing postcount++ before spamming or scamming, some people do only like couch gaming, or KB + mouse gaming at a desk, or even handheld gaming. Not everyone enjoys all three.

My cynical bet is on the postcount before spam though :(

I couch game with a wireless trackball and wireless keyboard, and sometimes a 360 wireless controller.

This notion of PC gaming being confined to a desk is antiquated.

spat55

Jul 2, 2013
Hey guys new to the forums. So I just wanted some basic advice on how to convert over to PC gaming from console gaming. Any and all advice will be helpful.

Build your own PC. Have a rough idea of what you are putting in so you don't get ripped off. Learn how to use keyboard and mouse, this will take about 2 weeks to start to get familiar then another month or two to feel at home with it.

After 3 months you will wonder why you didn't switch sooner.