Into to PC gaming

ThatSniperGuy

Aug 27, 2013
Hey guys new to the forums. So I just wanted some basic advice on how to convert over to PC gaming from console gaming. Any and all advice will be helpful.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The biggest difference between PC gaming and console gaming is that you aren't so confined, which can also lead to the most headaches for people trying to get into it. The best thing that you can do is take note of what you currently own and how much you're willing to spend. You may be able to reuse what you already have to try and keep the costs down.

WiseUp216

Platinum Member
Mar 12, 2012
www.heatware.com
Step one - get a Steam account. This is the de facto standard in modern PC gaming.

Then don't forget to check GreenManGaming and Amazon, because sometimes they have the same games at a lower price.

NickelPlate

Nov 9, 2006
Step one - get a Steam account. This is the de facto standard in modern PC gaming.

Then don't forget to check GreenManGaming and Amazon, because sometimes they have the same games at a lower price.

In addition don't forget to check the below two websites before buying:

www.cheapshark.com
http://isthereanydeal.com/

I almost never pay full retail price for games unless it's a new release that I can't wait for.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
Is there a cheep game anyone suggests that I can play to see if I even like PC gaming?

What kind of PC do you have first off....

I dunno how NO ONE asked this question, but what PC do you have lol. Specs would be very helpful.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
If you like gaming, the platform hardly matters. That "see if I even like PC gaming" just sounded ignorant.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
If you like gaming, the platform hardly matters. That "see if I even like PC gaming" just sounded ignorant.

In fairness, and assuming the OP isn't just doing postcount++ before spamming or scamming, some people do only like couch gaming, or KB + mouse gaming at a desk, or even handheld gaming. Not everyone enjoys all three.

My cynical bet is on the postcount before spam though :(

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Is there a cheep game anyone suggests that I can play to see if I even like PC gaming?

Are you running Windows? If so, start with Minesweeper (it's included). Then progress to Solitaire (it's included).

That's PC gaming. To start with anyway.

In all seriousness, without specs and knowing your interests, it's hard to answer that question.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005

Try some demos. If you download Steam you can just browse through the demos there and try out whatever tickles your fancy.

KT

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Also, if you are not used to mkb there is a learning curve. Some games have support for game pads, etc.

I honestly don't know how people play some of those games with controllers. I tried playing Halo Reach on the weekend for a few hours and the aiming was so damn imprecise it drove me nuts.

Guys were shooting me from up high, jumping back and forth, but when I tried to aim and move my crosshairs with the stick it would swing way past them. Over and over. So frustrating. If I'd had kb/m they would have been dead a million times over by the time I even got one shot at them with the controller. :colbert:

KT

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
Try some demos. If you download Steam you can just browse through the demos there and try out whatever tickles your fancy.

KT

Plus there are plenty of 'free to play' games of many genres that can be fun.
World of Tanks, Team Fortress 2, War Thunder, DOTA2 (though I wouldn't recommend that one to start off with) and most will play with minimal computer specs.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Plus there are plenty of 'free to play' games of many genres that can be fun.
World of Tanks, Team Fortress 2, War Thunder, DOTA2 (though I wouldn't recommend that one to start off with) and most will play with minimal computer specs.

Yep, that too. Honestly it's never been easier or cheaper to get into PC Gaming.

KT

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I honestly don't know how people play some of those games with controllers. I tried playing Halo Reach on the weekend for a few hours and the aiming was so damn imprecise it drove me nuts.

Guys were shooting me from up high, jumping back and forth, but when I tried to aim and move my crosshairs with the stick it would swing way past them. Over and over. So frustrating. If I'd had kb/m they would have been dead a million times over by the time I even got one shot at them with the controller. :colbert:

KT

Joysticks are just acceleration-based devices, so I'm guessing they finally get used to the acceleration rates and it ends up becoming muscle memory. Arguably, no matter how good you can get with a controller, it should still be possible to be better with a mouse given a mouse is relative (based on pointer speed) point-to-point device.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
One thing I like to do is use the Xbox 360 controller with the mouse together. Anybody else tried that? Xbox controller in the left hand controlling all body movement, mouse controlling all aim and shooting.

Just remap some controls, so like you can crouch with left trigger. You'd be surprised how intuitive it is and you get the benefit of being able to use the gamepad for movement and the mouse for aiming and shooting.

KeithTalent

Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
One thing I like to do is use the Xbox 360 controller with the mouse together. Anybody else tried that? Xbox controller in the left hand controlling all body movement, mouse controlling all aim and shooting.

Just remap some controls, so like you can crouch with left trigger. You'd be surprised how intuitive it is and you get the benefit of being able to use the gamepad for movement and the mouse for aiming and shooting.

Good god. D:

KT

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001

Eh, I guess I don't really see the point. By removing your right hand from the equation to use it on the mouse, you make that side of the controller much harder to access. In a sense, it effectively becomes useless! The only issue that I could imagine that you'd run into on a keyboard would be ghosting on a cheap one. It gets especially bad given that keys are reported in a grid, and a lot of the keys around WASD tend to be used.