Into the Wild

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Hi ATOT folks, especially KT :)

I watched 'Into the Wild' last week, and decided to post about it here, in case any of you were interested. It's a film based on a Jon Krakauer book, that is about a true-life account of a young man and his unusual and often amazing adventures. After watching things like 'Atonement' and 'No Country for Old Men', it was a nice change of pace to see something of this scope.

I read the book first, and upon hearing that a film would be made of it, I hesitated to think that the subject would convey into the movie format without some serious drawbacks. Indeed, had pretty much anyone else taken on this task, it might not have been delivered in such spectacular fashion. It was directed and the screenplay adapted by Sean Penn. The first film that I saw of his was 'The Crossing Guard', and the visceral and intimate performances that he was able to draw from David Morse and Jack Nicholson gave me a respect for his skill in film that I didn't expect to have.

The film is shot on location at dozens of places along the path of the real-life Chris McCandless, and the film's deliberate pacing and 2.5 hour running time are apropos to the story in every way. If you are in a fidgety mood or don't like long films, this probably isn't for you. The supporting cast is eclectic and excellent as well, including a shockingly good and funny performance by Vince Vaughn, easily his best work since 'Swingers', he's very memorable though his time onscreen is brief. Jena Malone was the perfect choice to convey the grief, worry, and love from his family as they go down their own paths. William Hurt gives a performance of subtle menace and scarred maturity as Chris's alternatively disappointed and confused father. The soundtrack is a fiercely raw Eddie Vedder work, and it fits more perfectly than anything else I could imagine for the content.

The story begins with Chris graduating from Emory university. Shortly after graduating, he gave his life savings (that he was going to use towards possibly attending Harvard law school) to charity, cut up his id/social security, and burns his cash. He drives into the desert, and abandons his car there, and so begins his epic journey. It's very philosophical, and the story is very alive. Chris's exuberance, sorrow, and fierce individuality combine with his solid moral compass to take him along his spectacular path in surprising and wonderful ways. The film touches on the people that he encountered during these years, and it all comes together to paint a portrait of a man who dared to take his desire for truth to it's limit, and he comes to some observations and ideas that are very different from where he started from.

The film's only real weakness is the lack of a hard look at the dumb things Chris did, as there are very legitimate criticisms to be expressed about the reckless way he went about his journey, but this is really a small complaint, and does nothing to reduce the enjoyability of the story.

9/10, Highly Recommended, though only for film fans with lots of patience for a deliberately paced work.

A quote that Chris liked :

"Death's a fierce meadowlark but to die having made Something more equal to centuries Than muscle and bone, is mostly to shed weakness. The mountains are dead stone, the people Admire or hate their stature, their insolent quietness, The mountains are not softened or troubled And a few dead men's thoughts have the same temper."

-L. L'Amour

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
I really liked the movie as well. I have not read the book however.

The only thing I found that I didn't like about it was that it was a bit slow at times - but it wasn't unbearably slow or anything.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Yeah I saw this a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. The story is absolutely fascinating and the performances were excellent, particularly Hal Holbrook's, whom I think had a good shot at the Oscar if not for Javier Bardem.

Agreed on Vince Vaughn and the soundtrack as well. I think Penn did some pretty masterful work here.

My only complaint was with the protagonist himself, who, at times, started to get on my nerves with the way he carried himself. I'm not sure if that was intended, whether it was the actor, or if it was just the way I felt, but there were times I was quite irritated with him. That all went away by the end of the film though, when I felt quite sympathetic towards him.

I'm actually surprised this film did not get greater consideration from the Academy.

KT

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: KeithTalent
Yeah I saw this a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. The story is absolutely fascinating and the performances were excellent, particularly Hal Holbrook's, whom I think had a good shot at the Oscar if not for Javier Bardem.

Agreed on Vince Vaughn and the soundtrack as well. I think Penn did some pretty masterful work here.

My only complaint was with the protagonist himself, who, at times, started to get on my nerves with the way he carried himself. I'm not sure if that was intended, whether it was the actor, or if it was just the way I felt, but there were times I was quite irritated with him. That all went away by the end of the film though, when I felt quite sympathetic towards him.

I'm actually surprised this film did not get greater consideration from the Academy.

KT

I'm surprised as well. I was a bit let down by 'Atonement', though it was a fine film even so. I thought 'No Country' was excellent, but in the end it was really a long chase film, and the utter lack of any kind of resolution was somewhat irritating, and felt like a middle finger from the Coen brothers. Ten years will pass, we'll have a few more great crime dramas on the level of 'No Country', but precious little to match the kind of simultaneous intimacy and breadth of 'Into the Wild'.

Agreed on Chris's character, it was easy to be irritated at him at times, I think that's probably the way it was intended, as he was so abstract compared to the way most people live and act. He did grow and learn through the story, and that I liked very much. His line towards the end really said it better, "Happiness is only real when shared" .. which would have been the exact opposite of his viewpoint when he set out.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Originally posted by: Arkaign
Originally posted by: KeithTalent

KT

I'm surprised as well. I was a bit let down by 'Atonement', though it was a fine film even so. I thought 'No Country' was excellent, but in the end it was really a long chase film, and the utter lack of any kind of resolution was somewhat irritating, and felt like a middle finger from the Coen brothers. Ten years will pass, we'll have a few more great crime dramas on the level of 'No Country', but precious little to match the kind of simultaneous intimacy and breadth of 'Into the Wild'.

Agreed on Chris's character, it was easy to be irritated at him at times, I think that's probably the way it was intended, as he was so abstract compared to the way most people live and act. He did grow and learn through the story, and that I liked very much. His line towards the end really said it better, "Happiness is only real when shared" .. which would have been the exact opposite of his viewpoint when he set out.

The best thing about Atonement was the score, which I believe it won an Oscar for. The music was fantastic, but otherwise it felt rather flat.

The ending of Into the Wild was very poignant and totally removed any of the ill feelings I had toward Chris's character. It was great to see real picture of him as well; nice touch.

KT

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I watched this movie on VDay w/my fiancee and we both liked it a lot. As others have said it was a bit slow at parts and the movie was a lot longer than I thought it would be as well, and it felt like it was too.

I agree that the music was awesome as well and fit it very well. The acting was great for the most part as well.

All in all this was a very interesting/different movie that I have been recommending to people since I saw it.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: purbeast0
I watched this movie on VDay w/my fiancee and we both liked it a lot. As others have said it was a bit slow at parts and the movie was a lot longer than I thought it would be as well, and it felt like it was too.

I agree that the music was awesome as well and fit it very well. The acting was great for the most part as well.

All in all this was a very interesting/different movie that I have been recommending to people since I saw it.

Cool :) Happy to hear from a few others that have seen it and liked it.

Now if we can only talk Sean Penn into adapting Jon Krakauer's other epic work :

'Into Thin Air'

An astonishing true story that is at times painful to read, it is the account of the ill-fated Everest summit attempts in early May 1996.

anxi80

Lifer
Jul 7, 2002
i liked it and even though there are a few slow parts; its never bad enough to take you out of the film.

my biggest gripe though is the scene where emile hirsch breaks the fourth wall. it was a bit distracting and didnt seem to fit and bothered me for a few seconds after seeing it. ive read other people's opinions online and strangely enough; others have mentioned it also. for some reason it just didnt seem fitting with the film. a stupid thing to gripe about, i know. but still for some strange reason it bothered me. oh well, it didnt ruin the movie for me at all it just seemed odd for that split second.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Easily the best movie i've seen in years...maybe the best movie i've ever seen.

There are a number of things in the movie i can really associate with, which is likely why i found it hit home so well.

11/10.

ades

Jul 13, 2007
stunning film, great soundtrack. as someone that age with sometimes similar feelings, it was very moving.

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
How did his parents watch it?

My wife said that they watched it with a private screening with Sean Penn.

I couldn't do it.

There is a little of Chris in all of us, but to take it to that extreme is someone in more need of therapy than realizing their dream.

bobsmith1492

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2004
I loved it; it really hit home for me as I saw it just after returning from my own journey "into the wild" (a 3-month bike trip around the country).

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
I'd never heard of it and just happened to come across it on Netflix. It sounded interesting and had good reviews from some of their subscibers so I rented it. A good choice, I really enjoyed it.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Originally posted by: n7

There are a number of things in the movie i can really associate with, which is likely why i found it hit home so well.

11/10.

Oh jebus, this was *hardly* a decent movie. I couldnt wait for that fuck to die. Especially, after he turned down Tracy (Kristen Stewart). The first time i started watching it i turned it off half-way because i thought it sucked.

Edit: Although, i have to admit i was bummed when he hit the river going back. I thought he was going to find Tracy.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Film wasn't a love story.

Spoilers sorta...

I would agree that damn, wtf, how could you say no to that...

But in those same shoes with the same ultimate goal, screwing the underage cute girl isn't the path we'd take either.

I wouldn't say the movie was about a smart guy...he's wasn't.
In reality, he died from ignorance, as there was civilization not all that far away.

Then again, i'm not sure the movie has to exactly follow the story of the man's life either...

I know not everyone will feel the same about the movie, but for some of us, like myself, i can i relate incredibly well in some ways, since so much is similar to my life, etc.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
I really enjoyed the movie as well. On one hand, I admired Chris for having the balls to actually follow through and do something like that, as I suspect many people have had similar thoughts at one point or another, but never acted on them.

On the other hand, I think he was incredibly stupid/naive for thinking he could survive in the Alaskan wilderness with hardly any preparation, supplies, etc.

Then again, if he had access to all of the modern conveniences that campers/hunters do, would he be going against what led him out to the wilderness in the first place? I have read some reviews claiming he was being hypocritical by living in the bus - i.e., if he really felt the way he did, then he should have built his own shelter or something. I also find it somewhat ironic that in his attempt to escape organized society, he winds up becoming known across the country, his bus becomes a tourist destination, and his story is made into a novel and a movie.

I enjoyed the movie enough that I'll probably read the book now.

buck

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: homercles337
Originally posted by: n7

11/10.

Oh jebus, this was *hardly* a decent movie. I couldnt wait for that fuck to die. Especially, after he turned down Tracy (Kristen Stewart). The first time i started watching it i turned it off half-way because i thought it sucked.

Edit: Although, i have to admit i was bummed when he hit the river going back. I thought he was going to find Tracy.

:confused:

Feneant2

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
I did not think it was a very good story. I thought maybe he had a good reason to go into the wild such as how our society is turning into crap and how we deserve everything we have coming. However... this guy only ran away because he had a problem with his parents and preferred to run away from his problems.

Edit, the movie wasn't bad, I mean the guys' motives for running away were hardly noble.

Oct 4, 2004
I absolutely loved this movie myself. I have been forcing everyone I know to watch it. I would give it a perfect score because it captivated me and held me attention through the whole course. There is some truly beautiful cinematography, the soundtrack is great and the lead character was immensely interesting. Great job by all the supporting characters and a truly inspiring message at the very end.

LtPage1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
Interesting. I hated the book because I didn't find McCandless interesting, insightful, or worthy of my attention- I don't think I ever finished it. Maybe the movie will be worth a few hours of my life, but I doubt I'll bother to see it. Man, I really hated that book.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Haven't seen the movie but don't expect to be so impressed with the story. Like Alaskans will likely tell you--he committed suicide. Not someone I have any respect for, wasted his life because he didn't have the brains to live by his radical life philosophy. If you want to look up to someone like this, watch the PBS documentary "Alone in the Wilderness."