Internship wages: Update

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
So, I've been working as an intern for a company for about a month now. I'm getting paid $13 an hour, which is a lot better than what I'd make anywhere else.

However, I just found out they're charging $120 an hour for my services. Being an intern, they pay no benefits, holidays, or anything else for me. I think that's pretty crazy, and that I'm being underpaid for the work I'm doing. They are very happy with my work, and will be offering me a job after I graduate in December.

My question is, should I ask for a raise? They are making $107 an hour off of me being there.. that's $4280 a week or over $200k a year. If so, what would a more appropriate wage be?

Update
Well, I didn't even have to ask. They called me in today and gave me a raise. Awesome.

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
I know people who made as little as $8/hr on their internships. My sister had to do a 6 month internship that required she work an unpaid 40hr week.

Depending on the field you're in, that job after you graduate could be worth way more than the raise you're getting now. Don't get greedy, especially after you've only worke there a month.

PetunZ

Oct 25, 2004
At my internship, I was making $15/hr. When they hired me, I was making $47k/yr on salary which is around $22.50/hr iirc.

aolj

Golden Member
Feb 20, 2000
I'm paid $17 right now. Hopefully I can talk to them and they will hire me in once I graduate or even do part time while finishing up school.

Jassi

Diamond Member
Sep 8, 2004
Originally posted by: joshsquall
So, I've been working as an intern for a company for about a month now. I'm getting paid $13 an hour, which is a lot better than what I'd make anywhere else.

However, I just found out they're charging $120 an hour for my services. Being an intern, they pay no benefits, holidays, or anything else for me. I think that's pretty crazy, and that I'm being underpaid for the work I'm doing. They are very happy with my work, and will be offering me a job after I graduate in December.

My question is, should I ask for a raise? They are making $107 an hour off of me being there.. that's $4280 a week or over $200k a year. If so, what would a more appropriate wage be?

Whats your major? $120 an hour is insane. Its a government contract, isnt it?

sciencewhiz

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
As a brand new engineer, my time is billed at $150/hr. Every engineer has the same rate. It's up to the company to make sure the cheapest engineer that can do the job well is the one doing it.

Besides your salary, remember the company is paying for your space, infrastructure, etc.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
I get paid $0/hr for my internship......

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
Originally posted by: FallenHero
im doing my internship for free...dont be greedy

Exactly... I was happy just to get my foot in the door and get some experience....

cchen

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Jassi
Originally posted by: joshsquall

Whats your major? $120 an hour is insane. Its a government contract, isnt it?

Probably not..... someone at his level would not be billed at that rate

You're making $13/hour for being an INTERN.
Sit the fvck down and stfu. :roll:

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
for us internships are taken after we finish our 3rd year in University...and they last 16-months.

The avg pay is around 40k CDN/year.

However in high school, the 4 month co-ops don't pay anything.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
THey'll probably ask but they'll prohibit you from putting them on your resume...

trust me...having them on your resume is worth a lot of $$$

Stop complaing, keep working, and STFU about the pay.

Internships pay sh!t but reward you with so much more....

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Originally posted by: RedCOMET
co-oping > internship

they are the same thing.

Anyways, you are an intern now, not an actual full time employee not matter what anyone tells you. Once you get a job offer, however, they will give you a real offer.

ArmchairAthlete

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2002
Originally posted by: Gibson486
co-oping > internship

they are the same thing.

Anyways, you are an intern now, not an actual full time employee not matter what anyone tells you. Once you get a job offer, however, they will give you a real offer.

Not at my school at least....

Here internship = 1 semester.

Coop = every other semester until you graduate, many work terms.

I'm working as a coop right now, great pay, software development experience, great people/location... couldn't ask for more.

EDIT: Maybe I wasn't clear... here coop is a student staying with the same company every other semester until her/she graduates. They're not the same thing...

cressida

Platinum Member
Sep 10, 2000
co-oping > internship

they are the same thing.

Well Co-op gives the employer a longer time to train you and see how your work is.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Originally posted by: ArmchairAthlete
co-oping > internship

they are the same thing.

Not at my school at least....

Here internship = 1 semester.

Coop = every other semester until you graduate, many work terms.

I'm working as a coop right now, great pay, software development experience, great people/location... couldn't ask for more.

yeah, they are interchangeable. You just refer to coop as program itself.