Internet splitting help !! (urgent)

faith11

May 7, 2013
Hello, i am new here so please let me know if this post is in wrong place.

I am owner of a small gaming cafe (LAN GAMES). I have little knowledge about networking. I have 15 gaming pc and 1 server pc with Cyber cafe pro.

i have 1MB dedicated internet connection. i want to Split the connection in 5 PC and i want to control the speed from my server pc. is it possible ?

if yes. How ? Please be kind and take some time to explain.

Thanks in advance

stlcardinals

Sep 15, 2005
QoS or Quality of Service is the process used to control and shape network traffic. After looking through CyberCafePro's manual, It appears the closest thing it has is "Using Bandwidth Monitoring" where you can say to start charging per GB if they go over a certain GB threshold.

kevnich2

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2004
A cyber cafe with 15 computers and a 1mb internet connection??? You definitely need to consider upgrading your internet speed. I'm surprised people aren't yelling and screaming about that.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yes, if that connection is only 1 megabit, then you will need to increase that connection speed to accommodate that many PCs. If it's 1 megaBYTE, meaning 8 megabits, then you're probably OK.

You need some sort of a device to share the internet connection, which is to say, function as a NAT router. You can download Linux server OSes for free that will do this, or you can buy a SOHO router box, like the Asus RT-N66U.

faith11

May 7, 2013
Sorry for late replay. at our country we need to pay 120 USD per 1 MB dedicated connection. (1000 USD for 10 MB connection)

i want to split the connection into 5 PC. I have a dedicated IP with the connection. but as i am using 1.1.1.1 for my server address and 1.1.1.x for other gaming pcs. i need a way to keep that address and provide internet to 5 of my PC.

i dont want to use cybercafe pro to control bw. i can buy any hardware needed for this. here is a list of available routers at here:
http://ryanscomputers.com/index.php/mainhome/item_List/30/0

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
First, don't use 1.1.1.x addresses. Use 10.0.0.x or 192.168.x.x for your private internal addresses.

Second, I understand that a faster connection is expensive, but your customers will be very upset with you if you only have a 1mbps line to share between all of those computers, and you aren't likely to have customers very long if you can't provide a connection that is fast enough for them to play games without significant issues.

kevnich2

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2004
Sorry for late replay. at our country we need to pay 120 USD per 1 MB dedicated connection. (1000 USD for 10 MB connection)

i want to split the connection into 5 PC. I have a dedicated IP with the connection. but as i am using 1.1.1.1 for my server address and 1.1.1.x for other gaming pcs. i need a way to keep that address and provide internet to 5 of my PC.

i dont want to use cybercafe pro to control bw. i can buy any hardware needed for this. here is a list of available routers at here:
http://ryanscomputers.com/index.php/mainhome/item_List/30/0

When you say 1.1.1.1? Are you being literal with that IP Address? If so, do what the other poster indicated and change your IP scheme to be a legit private IP address of either 10.x.x.x, 172.16.x.x (Up through 172.16.31.xx is available) or 192.168.x.x. The way your using it now is not correct.

Secondly, have you shopped around for other ISP's that offer better rates? What country are you located in specifically? When it comes to gaming, a 1mb connection shared with 15 PC's just isn't going to cut it - doesn't matter what you're paying for it.

faith11

May 7, 2013
@Fardringle thanks for letting me know. people are more then happy if they get 50-60kb (512kb shared line)

@kevnich2 i live at bangladesh. and i am sharing 1mbit between 5 pc. (200kb each i guess) more then enough for gaming at our country. and i will change the ip. but how do i split the net connection ?

serpretetsky

Jan 7, 2012
I am assuming you have a single internet ip address currently. I also am NOT familiar with cybercafepro, so my reponse is going to be more generic.

1) You will need to get a router. The router is what will route data from the internet to the correct computer. You are looking for advanced QOS or traffic shaping features that guarantee mininum bandwidth or simply bandwidth limiting features. I actually had some trouble to trying to find something here for you, but it seems pfsense router OS has the bandwidth limiting features per ip built into it:
http://www.squidworks.net/2012/08/p...ad-and-download-speeds-by-limiting-bandwidth/
the only problem with that is that you would still have to get a computer with two ethernet interfaces to install PFsense onto. You can use an old computer or build a new one (it doesn't take much hardware power, a dual core intel atom should do fine, although i think celerons aren't that much more expensive and quite a bit more powerful).

DD-wrt firmware (which can be flashed to common routers) has a paid special edition that does what you want, but it seems some have also discovered ways to configure the standard dd-wrt to do what they want with various linux commands (dd-wrt is linux based)

I'm sure that commercial solutions like CISCO, JUNIPER, SONICWALL will also probably do what you want

2) Like others have mentioned, change your local computers' ip's to be in one of the private ip ranges. If you get a router they usually have 192.168.x.x setup by default and will hand those ips out to your computers dynamically. Or you can set it up to be all static ip's. Most people use the 192.168.x.x 255.255.255.0 range.

The reason for private ip's is because it doesn't sound like you have been assigned 1.1.1.1 by your provider, yet 1.1.1.1 is a globally unique ip address (there is a unique server in the world that is 1.1.1.1). It may work for you, but it can also cause all sorts of issues. On the other hand, private ip ranges are not unique, they are reused over and over again and are not used as unique ip's on the internet

faith11

May 7, 2013
atlast some solution !!! Thanks @serpretetsky
can you suggest me a good router for my use ? can i buy a 4 port router and connect it with a switch so that all 5 pc will be connected and controlled.
i have Tenda W311R+ will it work ?

lexco

May 9, 2013
I am owner of a small gaming cafe (LAN GAMES). I have little knowledge about networking. I have 15 gaming pc and 1 server pc with Cyber cafe pro.

i have 1MB dedicated internet connection. i want to Split the connection in 5 PC and i want to control the speed from my server pc. is it possible ?

i dont want to use cybercafe pro to control bw. i can buy any hardware needed for this.

Try the default Class C Private IP addressing like 192.168.1.X . It will be easy to manage.

the only problem with that is that you would still have to get a computer with two ethernet interfaces to install PFsense onto.

You can use an old computer or build a new one (it doesn't take much hardware power, a dual core intel atom should do fine, although i think celerons aren't that much more expensive and quite a bit more powerful).

DD-wrt firmware (which can be flashed to common routers) has a paid special edition that does what you want, but it seems some have also discovered ways to configure the standard dd-wrt to do what they want with various linux commands (dd-wrt is linux based)

I'm sure that commercial solutions like CISCO, JUNIPER, SONICWALL will also probably do what you want

Like others have mentioned, tried https://www.corenetworkz.com/2009/11/why-my-computer-restarts-automatically.html change your local computers' ip's to be in one of the private ip ranges. If you get a router they usually have 192.168.x.x setup by default and will hand those ips out to your computers dynamically. https://www.corenetworkz.com/2012/09/error-797-connection-to-remote-access.html Or you can set it up to be all static ip's. Most people use the 192.168.x.x 255.255.255.0 range.
i have Tenda W311R+ will it work ?
Yes, Tenda W311R has the bandwidth allocation feature which helps you to assign specific bandwidth to computers connected to it. So you do not need to buy additional hardware.

Last edited: