Internet speed, wired PC slow, wireless fast

Stormtear

May 11, 2013
Hello everyone and thank you for taking the time to read my post!

My setup is as follows, I have a Thomson Speedtouch 585 router and a high-end gaming pc with Windows 7 64 installed on it, latest updates on it.
My problem is that in the last 3 days I had been having a lot of disconnections so i called my ISP and they sent a team to fix it. The guys came, did some hardware twinks on the poles and problem was solved. However ever since then, although I am not getting disconnected the problem is that the internet on my PC, which is wired to the router is extremely slow, around 1.2 Mbps(normal speed was constantly around 6 Mbps, aprox. 600KBps) which drops down to 200-300 Kbps(or around 30 KBps). I tested this using speedtest.net and even connected the PC to the wireless and did the test with the same results. Moreover on my phone, hooked on wireless I did the same test but had gotten normal speeds, at around 6Mbps (aprox. 600KBps) which was quite fine.
The question I have is why on my PC the internet is running so low?

Thank you for any insight in the matter! :)

lexco

May 9, 2013
Since your PC in both wired connection and wireless connection shows the same speed, it might be related to your computer. Have you checked your Firewall where any other background process trying to consume bandwidth ? Or make sure your computer is free from malwares.

Also try to connect your computer to Internet in Safe mode with networking. Can you see any difference in speed ? Also follow this tutorial.
http://www.corenetworkz.com/2009/04/increase-speed-of-your-internet.html

If you feel any unwanted/unknown service which access Internet, you can disable them from startup in System Configuration window. (type msconfig on run and press enter.. under start up you can find them ).

Last edited:

Stormtear

May 11, 2013
have you tired a new cable?

Although probable, I believe it is highly unlikely that this event occured during the repairs done by the field team of the ISP. Because before their arrival my internet was operating, although with disconnections, at maximum speed, unvariably and afterwards, without disconnections, but at very low speeds.

Stormtear

May 11, 2013
Since your PC in both wired connection and wireless connection shows the same speed, it might be related to your computer. Have you checked your Firewall where any other background process trying to consume bandwidth ? Or make sure your computer is free from malwares.

Also try to connect your computer to Internet in Safe mode with networking. Can you see any difference in speed ?

If you feel any unwanted/unknown service which access Internet, you can disable them from startup in System Configuration window. (type msconfig on run and press enter.. under start up you can find them ).

I am certain it is because of my PC, however I cannot fathom what the problem could be. I did not changes, regarding software or hardware during the field team's repairs and everything, except the disconnections, was fine.

I ran a speed test in Internet Safe Mode and got the same low result.

I do not feel there are any unwated/unknown service that could affect my speed because I ran the telephone speed test WHILE my PC was on and had a low speed and on my telephone the speed showed up normal.

Stormtear

May 11, 2013
So...my mind if blown. Ran a troubleshoot, it resetted my adapter's settings and presto, everything is back to normal.
Thank you for the input and sorry to take your time with this. :)

wirednuts

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2007
i think the ethernet adapter saw some fault when the tech was messing with signals, and probably dropped down to 10mb or even 1mb connection link as a failsafe. resetting the adapter would be all it needed.. glad to hear its working.

lexco

May 9, 2013
So...my mind if blown. Ran a troubleshoot, it resetted my adapter's settings and presto, everything is back to normal.

Thank you for the input and sorry to take your time with this. :)

Glad, you have fixed the issue by yourself :)

Last edited: