Question Internet speed is good but webpages load slow, lag when scrolling etc. What's going on?

Coyle

May 15, 2020
Internet speed is 40mbps, speed tests show the max speed, but when I go to load a webpage is slow and there's often lag while scrolling down. In new pc I built last year: Asus Rog Strix B460 I Gaming mobo, i3-10100cpu, CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2666MHz C16 LED Desktop & Seagate BarraCuda 2TB Internal Hard Drive HDD – 3.5 Inch SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM. When I think of webpages I suspect ram, do you think that could be what's causing it, have tried using Chrome & Edge, both are laggy.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
Big part of it has to do with the Internet. I.e., site ISP etc. they keep loading Junk on top of everything

Same is with our computers per-se. We buy fastre computer and the provider over the The Internet Say "Goodie Goodie" user have faster computer so we can put even more Junk.

In Addition, Edge By default loads up different parts of it self at the StartUp of the computer and keep it in the background even if you do not useit (so it affect Chrome when used). Chrome does it a little less, but do loadup stuff in the backround too.

As a result 40mbps is Not enough. I use FIOS 1GB, it is OK but not as fast as you would exepect from such level of connection.

To try to see what Loads at Start.

1. The complicated way. Get this free portable software and try to use it to control Auto-runs.

2. Easy way (but less comprehensive).
Get the free version of cCleaner. Run it and Open the tool menu.

Choose the Start option and see what opens at Start up. It safe since you can just disable what you don't see needed and if it not working well you can enable it and restart.

:cool:

Reactions: Coyle

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
While SSD is always a very good component to have.

I doubt it would make any strong difference in this case unless most of the Internet time is Used to dowload and store Huge Files (like OS ISOs).

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
While SSD is always a very good component to have.

I doubt it would make any strong difference in this case unless most of the Internet time is Used to dowload and store Huge Files (like OS ISOs).
You've got that exactly backwards, Jack. Internet pages download and render LOTS of smaller asset files, in parallel. Generating lots of IOPS. Besides booting the OS (another higher-IOPS situation), an SSD also helps immensely with web browsing.

Interestingly, for pure file (HTTP/S) downloads, HDDs are often better, because they don't run out of SLC cache writing large sequential files like ISOs.

Reactions: bigboxes and mxnerd

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
The way some hardware woks on Micro-level are Not necessarily directly reflects a more global Function that also include other variables.

SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM is Not an SSD but it is rather fast and given the Internet Stpeed of the OP connection. The total result might not be much different.

The scientific words for it is, Holistic approach vs Micro management.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
VL is absolutely right. OP should have use SSD or NVME drive as internal drive nowadays. Webpages are composed of hundreds of small files that are downloaded to your computer's disk, traditional mechanical HDDs are absolutely bad for the task. SSD / NVMe 4K size read / write speed is several hundreds faster than HDD. If OP's M.2 slot is bootable, get a M.2 NVMe drive (using PCIe interface) which is even faster than SATA SSD.

What matters most is the speed of random read / write performance of 4K file size, not sequential large file read/write.

==

Sorry, but Jack, you are completely wrong on this topic, and I have to say your computer knowledge has been outdated for many years.

Last edited:

DaaQ

Golden Member
Dec 8, 2018
I have seen the speed test running, whilst it was also loading all the add bloatware during the speed test run. Looking at you Ookla. Google api, google ad services, this that and the other. all during the speed test run.

Granted this was on a commercial 60M account, on I can't remember what kind of laptop. Needless to say he was getting around 40ish.

Finally figured out someone in his family set up a low end Nighthawk router, with band steering enabled. Which would cause the AT&T iPhones to drop wifi calling when the band changed from 5ghz to 2.4.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

Neo Forza 512GB NVMe PCI-E 3.0 M.2 SSD, DRAM cache, 3400/2000, $44.99.

PM me your Paypal OP, I'll send you some $$$ to get one of these. Offer valid for a brief while.

Edit: But you'll have to re-install or clone Windows yourself.

Edit:I assume NO liability, if said SSD grows teeth and eats your cat, for example.

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
PM me your Paypal OP, I'll send you some $$$ to get one of these. Offer valid for a brief while.
Look at Larry making it rain!

giphy-tumblr.gif

BTW, I want a new Star Wars toy. My Paypal address incoming. :p

• Haha
Reactions: VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Look at Larry making it rain!
LOL. Take up mining, then you too could have some disposable income. :p

Edit: Not trying to imply that you don't have disposable income. I'm just saying, that due to the "blessing" of mining, I have more so that I can do more for my fellow man. Miners aren't all bad people. (Actually, most of them are fairly decent folks.)

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I would, but I've already received one death threat from Greta Thunberg
Really? I guess I should be on a first-name basis with Greta by now. (*)

(*) It's winter here, and I have electric heat. Why not heat the apt., and make some money besides? :) Hopefully, Greta wouldn't complain about that...

Reactions: UsandThem

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Did you try FireFox with noscript and Adblock plus? 40mbps is not terrible. Also, get an ssd and use it as boot drive asap. How old is that 2TB hdd? Might be time to put it out to pasture.

I only have HDDs on my server. Can't afford that many TBs in flash storage.
IMG_20220109_081327.png

Last edited:

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
{
Sorry, but Jack, you are completely wrong on this topic, and I have to say your computer knowledge has been outdated for many years.

I have in my commuters altogether about 60 SSDs All my computers Drive C: are on SSD.

The OP should have SSD in his computer. May be his "Speed" will improve in few Mb/s but that is not the main variable in his specific difficulty.

Computer knowledge is Not based on the capacity to go online and find what on sale this week.
135715169_1359104557807283_8922570899777138952_n-6281975731.jpeg

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
OK, Jack, probably my bad. But why do you think OP has SSD when OP only mentioned 7200RPM internal HDD?

And I never look for something new to buy everyday. I only buy what I absolutely needed but I read a lot.

Autoruns & background process (task manager) definitely is a good place to check, OP can also check if any his browser's extension (also browser's own task manager) is causing problem. Sometimes CPU is heavily used close to 100% also can cause browser (download) slowdown.

And how is 40Mbps not enough to load webpage and your 1 Gbps internet is just OK? So people need to have internet speed over 1 Gbps to feel fine?

Last edited:
Reactions: UsandThem

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
OK, Jack, probably my bad. But why do you think OP has SSD when OP only mentioned 7200RPM internal HDD?

And I never look for something new to buy everyday. I only buy what I absolutely needed but I read a lot.

Autoruns & background process (task manager) definitely is a good place to check, OP can also check if any his browser's extension (also browser's own task manager) is causing problem. Sometimes CPU is heavily used close to 100% also can cause browser (download) slowdown.

And how is 40Mbps not enough to load webpage and your 1 Gbps internet is just OK? So people need to have internet speed over 1 Gbps to feel fine?
They also mentioned in another thread that they wondered if their Seagate HDD was the cause (in the Edge vs. Chrome link below).

OP hasn't been back to clarify anything (and their details in their OP are lacking). Have they tried accessing the websites on other devices? Have they tried plugging the LAN cable into the PC directly and seeing if it performs better than connecting to their wifi?

Looking at their most recent posts here, they appear to not be up to date with many tech related items (e.g. Edge vs. Chrome post and Wifi mode post).

However, the CPU they listed is plenty fast. 16 GB of DDR4 is plenty for general PC use. 40/Mbps service is plenty for browsing websites

So it comes down to having incorrect settings on their router/PC, very poor wireless performance, or having a dirt-slow HDD for their OS drive. I've worked on a few family members PCs (with HDDs as their OS drive) a handful of times over the last 5 years, and all have been painfully slow in loading things compared to a computer with a SSD.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
I do free Help for laptops* for Extended family, friends and close colleagues.

Most of the complains are about "Why" my laptop and Internet are so slow. :confused:

I made a USB flash drive that have on it a portable versions of about 10 free-wares that help to deal with this issue.

The important one is free Commander - https://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/freecommander_portable

Why? Because it shows every Byte that is on the HD/SSD. Unlike Win Explorer that hide parts.

Many time you see GBs of unneeded old stuff in caches and elsewhere.

Many of them are resolved by simple using cCleaner and running Clean and Registry

While on cCleaner using the Tools Start Menu you can see all the Junk that after years still loads in the background by the Computer Manufactures'. It still runs at start as Trial Software and support connections that keep connecting for nothing to the manufacture or software providers, it does not even appear on screen and thus the user does Not even know that it Eats resources, might pose security problems, and otherwise provides nothing.

So.. I Clean the Junk, and delete or disable the useless startups.

And What to you know, it Runs like New again, and the Internet is fast again.

That said I know that I am ""stupid"" :eek: takes about 30 -50 Minutes to do all of this.

Would be much smarter to Log to: Walmart, Best Buy, New Egg, and the like, and after 10 Minutes tell the person what to buy ""New"".

The Ones that I trust, and they trust me. I tell to bring a USB Flash Drive, copy to it the portable freeware, then can periodically do what I did.

* Why only Laptop? I do not have the time and energy to run to people home/office. Laptops that can brought to me.

The above is valid for Desktop/Towers as well.

LLAP-S.jpg

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Did you try FireFox with noscript and Adblock plus? 40mbps is not terrible. Also, get an ssd and use it as boot drive asap. How old is that 2TB hdd? Might be time to put it out to pasture.

I only have HDDs on my server. Can't afford that many TBs in flash storage.
View attachment 55707
That is a lot of drives. I do see one SSD, but it looks like it is not the system drive :/ Also, why are you running a server with windows? And I hope all those drives are redundant and backed up.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
That is a lot of drives. I do see one SSD, but it looks like it is not the system drive :/ Also, why are you running a server with windows? And I hope all those drives are redundant and backed up.

The ssd is where the vms live, boot drive is hdd since that box is on all the time and it is more of a vm host so I don't care about the system drive.

Backup is external that I connect when needed.

I have a datacenter licence so I setup a base vm and reference that on multiple vms to save space. Too lazy to update to newest ver.

Probably faster to just build a new box and move VMs over.

Last edited: