Internet problem: router cords dont work

evolvedbullet

Mar 11, 2006
My router cords dont work for some reason, it maybe my computer, I have no idea. On this computer, it is going through the router and it is working just fine but it doesnt work for my other computer. I tried connecting the direct cable for my internet into my computer, it still doesnt work. How can i fix this? Thank you for reading :).

evolvedbullet

Mar 11, 2006
Is there nic drivers for my router?

I've looked on google and all i got was the name of the router and thats it.

Talcite

Apr 18, 2006
you don't need drivers for your router. The NIC is on your computer, make sure you have those installed properly.

goto control panel -> system -> device manager.

Check for any exclamation marks, if you have them, find drivers for them. If not, try replacing the router cord (the proper name is the RJ45 or cat 5/5e/6 cable.). If that still doesn't work, maybe your router is dead.

evolvedbullet

Mar 11, 2006
I got 3 exclimation marks but you need to go online unorder to download the drivers so i must download them from this computer, is this normal?

3 Exclimation marks:
*other devices*:
/other PCI bridge Device
/PCI memory controller
/SM Bus controller

evolvedbullet

Mar 11, 2006
I got the first one, I cant get the second and third one. Can someone be kind enough to give me a linky for these drivers (Last two), I would really appreciate that :).

Talcite

Apr 18, 2006
the sm bus controller is probably your chipset drivers. Many people (including myself in the past) forget to install the chipset drivers when installing windows.

the PCI bridge device is possibly your NIC.

First find out if your NIC is built-in into the motherboard.
-If it is, then find the manufacturer and model of your motherboard. Then download all drivers from their website (for the appropriate model of course) and install.

-If it is not, then find the manufacturer and model of your NIC, then download the drivers from their website and install, then get the motherboard drivers and install them.

evolvedbullet

Mar 11, 2006
First of all, how can I determine what an NIC looks like (sorry, im a noobie here, I have no idea what is going on). Secondly, do I have to reinstall windows unorder to download my Sm bus controller?

Talcite

Apr 18, 2006
The NIC is the card that has the RJ45 cable going into it. It's either on the same plate as the one with your mouse and keyboard going into it or it's located under that plate. If it's on the same plate as the one with your keyboard/mouse, then it's integrated (built-in). If it's got it's own plate, then it's a stand alone card.

You don't have to reinstall windows to download the drivers. You have to do it from this PC, then transfer it over and install.

There's one thing that occured to me when I reread your first post. Are you sure it's the cable? Plug it into your system, and then watch the lights on the router. If the light doesn't come on, then it's the cable or your NIC. If the light comes on, it's not your cable. The light you should watch is the one corresponding to the number on the back of the router. For example: if you plug into port number 3 on the back of your router, watch light number 3 on the front. The computer must be on.

Talcite

Apr 18, 2006
Well, the if the NIC is integrated, drivers are usually located on the motherboard manufacturer site.

knght990

Jun 3, 2006
considering it was working and isnt now, all this seems a bit extreme. check the lights on the back of the tower where the cable from the router goes, as suggested by the other guy. If the lights are flashing then it's not hardware.
after that just run the setup wizard. its located at start -> my network places -> setup a home or small office network (in the left side menu)
also, if your broadband is provided by AOL Broadband you will have to login to the software to get on the net. If the service is through your cable company you wont have to.
You can also do start -> run -> and type "cmd"
on the command line type ipconfig and there should be a number value for ip address, subnet mask and default gateway, if any are missing that is a start to finding the problem, if all are there then you are connected but something like a firewall on your system is blocking your browsing software.
-tl

Talcite

Apr 18, 2006
There are so many possibilities if the RJ45 cable isn't broken. And it took us 2 hours and 10 posts to get here. Lol I'd say if it isn't the RJ45 cable, then get a friend or hire a technician to come take a look at it. Sometimes it saves more time and money if you just spend a bit.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Just FYI, a "NIC" is a Network Interface Card. If you are using an on-board network port, then technically there is no NIC. It is then your Ethernet or LAN port. Sometimes we become so used to our jargon that we forget that new folks may not understand what we are talking about.