Internet Explorer completely hosed.. new computer

xylem

Jan 18, 2001
The short: Windows 7 Pro... Internet Explorer 11 failed to install correctly via Windows Update. Now, in the Enable/Disable features portion of "Programs and Features", IE 11 is listed as a feature (I have enabled/disabled to no avail). Windows is also wanting to install IE 11 via Windows Update, but fails to install the update. IE will not launch (launches then closes, offering a 'save file' dialogue box). Internet Options will not launch via Control Panel (nothing happens). No IE version is listed in Installed Updates.

The long with more details: I have a new Dell Latitude E5540. It came pre-installed with McAfee (uh oh), and a few Dell apps for securing data. I immediately uninstalled McAfee. Windows went to town installing updates, and failed, apparently on the IE 11 update. I checked the Event Viewer, and saw some McAfee service trying to run.. looked in Services, and saw a bunch of McAfee services still listed.. McAfee didn't uninstall correctly (no surprise there). I installed a trial version of McAfee, then uninstalled, then ran the MCPR tool for complete removal, and now the McAfee services (and presumably all other signs of it) are gone. I also uninstalled the Dell secure data apps, but this may be irrelevant.

The situation now is basically as described in 'the short' above. IE won't run, and Windows is displaying various other oddities (I couldn't install the latest NVidia driver.. setup just sat there, hung), and when I open the Services window nothing shows up until I select the 'Standard' view tab, at which point I get this message: "Unable to download ." "Unable to open this Internet site..." etc. I suspect that the hosed IE 11 installation is causing this.

SFC finds no violations, and all other Windows updates installed fine. Neither of the IE 10 or IE 11 full installers will complete successfully.

edit: The first thing I tried was System Restore. After selecting a restore point, it informed me that the drive could not be found (referencing the C: drive).. As a result, none of the restore points were valid, so I am left with manually fixing this problem, if possible. I tried this before realizing that McAfee hadn't uninstalled correctly.

Ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

JustMe21

Sep 8, 2011
In Programs and Features, click View installed updates, then find Internet Explorer 11 and have it uninstall it.

HOSED

Dec 30, 2013
If you have an older image of you system when it worked try restoring (assuming all your current data is backed up).
If no one has a better idea you may need to backup all data to an external drive then reload win 7 (since your system is new you should be able to use a restore partition)
these instructions are for the 5520 but am fairly sure your 5540 will be similar:
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19398850

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
Try downloading a S.M.A.R.T diagnostic program for yout hard drive and see if any errors are found.

cubby1223

Lifer
May 24, 2004
I've spent countless hours trying to fix windows update issues in the past. XP usually was fixable, but OS's beyond your chances of success are minimal at best. It's a new system, download a Win7 ISO and install completely fresh.

xylem

Jan 18, 2001
I appreciate the input. These symptoms had a suspicious feeling to them... suspicious in a way that suggested that the problem(s) wouldn't be fixable. Rather than wasting more time, I restored from the on-disk image, gutted McAfee and Dell's security apps completely, then proceeded to install updates without further issue.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I appreciate the input. These symptoms had a suspicious feeling to them... suspicious in a way that suggested that the problem(s) wouldn't be fixable. Rather than wasting more time, I restored from the on-disk image, gutted McAfee and Dell's security apps completely, then proceeded to install updates without further issue.
You did the right thing!!

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I've noticed that the OP opted for a reinstall.

Re: Windows Update issues - try the Windows Update Readiness Tool (Win7/Vista)?

Win8x: DISM /ONLINE /CLEANUP-IMAGE /RESTOREHEALTH includes that functionality I believe.

nk215

Dec 4, 2008
I use windows offline update exclusively lately. Two of my DELL computers got hit by the "not download windows updates" bug lately. Both take offline updates w/o any issues.