Internet disconnects and computer freezes shortly after - Windows 7

Anubis_Andro

Sep 29, 2013
First of all, i'm sorry if this has been answered elsewhere, but iv'e Googled this to no avail. Also sorry if this is the wrong category to post in, nothing else suited more. :D

So the story is that i am either browsing the internet or playing games on steam. all of a sudden, my internet disconnects (i also use a wireless USB adapter) and there is nothing i can do to reconnect it. Shortly after, maybe about 10-30 seconds, the computer freezes in the middle of whatever i am doing and the sound is cut off and my peripherals don't work.

Also recently when the disconnecting starts to happen, i try to put my computer in sleep mode, but all that happens is the screen goes black and the computer remains on, with the keyboard/mouse/speakers frozen.

I am looking to know whether this is a software or hardware problem and if there is any way i can fix this. i have updated my graphics drivers and re flashed my motherboard BIOS.

Thanks in advance and if i missed anything in the thread, be sure to tell me and i will edit it up. :D

My specs are:
CPU: Intel core i5-3570K @ factory clock w/ cooler master hyper 212 evo cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H rev 1.1
Graphics card: Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 580 1.5GB OC
(i under clocked it to factory speeds avoid an old problem with gaming which is now resolved)
SSD: Samsung 840 series 250GB
HDD: WD caviar black 2TB
PSU: Corsair TX-750 V2 bronze
USB adapter: Netgear N300 Wireless USB Mini Adapter WNA3100M

My MSI-Afterburner info

(temperatures and fan speed)
http://gyazo.com/181140e6a1126adfdab8bf0037f3918f

(Speeds and voltage) idle
http://gyazo.com/f2758386219bb7386ee62292e58ba23b

My HWmonitor results on idle
http://gyazo.com/12e627bbd81702435bb2afcf787ccd35

Coretemp CPU info idle
http://gyazo.com/a790bd987454dd40d8eb0699c5731606

denis280

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2011
Welcome to the forums.Anubis_Andro
did you check the ssd for errors. with chkdsk.and i would also check the( USB adapter: Netgear N300 Wireless USB Mini Adapter WNA3100M)

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
I would recommend you go to the Netgear site and get the latest drivers for your wifi card. They released one as recently as a couple months ago.

Anubis_Andro

Sep 29, 2013
Thanks for the replies, i will do a chkdsk and ill check out my drivers, they are in fact, outdated. is there any other possibilities?
Because there is in fact, the freezing problem.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Your motherboard has both USB2.0 and USB3.0 ports. If your USB wireless adapter is plugged in to a USB2.0 port, try moving to a USB3.0 port or vice versa to see if you could have some type of issue with a USB driver.

Another thing to try if you are connecting via a wireless router is to connect the machine via a wired ethernet cable to see if the lockups continue. If they don't, you can pretty much assume the issue is related either to USB or to your wireless driver.

Also, is the firmware up to date on your SSD?

Anubis_Andro

Sep 29, 2013
Your motherboard has both USB2.0 and USB3.0 ports. If your USB wireless adapter is plugged in to a USB2.0 port, try moving to a USB3.0 port or vice versa to see if you could have some type of issue with a USB driver.

Another thing to try if you are connecting via a wireless router is to connect the machine via a wired ethernet cable to see if the lockups continue. If they don't, you can pretty much assume the issue is related either to USB or to your wireless driver.

Also, is the firmware up to date on your SSD?
I only have USB 3.0 on my motherboard and the only two USB 2.0 on my front panel on my case are used for my mouse and keyboard; they malfunction a lot on the front panel USB 3.0 ports, so i use them for my keyboard/mouse. ill try it though, it wont hurt.

i actually cant move my PC next to my router;my family uses it and there's no space for my PC and my gear around the router area, my house is quite small.

Yesterday, i installed my Samsung magician software and updated my firmware and optimised my SSD. so far, its faster and saved capacity, but i can only hope it helps.
ill reply with further info soon if anything happens, thanks for the help!

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
I only have USB 3.0 on my motherboard and the only two USB 2.0 on my front panel on my case are used for my mouse and keyboard; they malfunction a lot on the front panel USB 3.0 ports, so i use them for my keyboard/mouse. ill try it though, it wont hurt.

i actually cant move my PC next to my router;my family uses it and there's no space for my PC and my gear around the router area, my house is quite small.

Yesterday, i installed my Samsung magician software and updated my firmware and optimised my SSD. so far, its faster and saved capacity, but i can only hope it helps.
ill reply with further info soon if anything happens, thanks for the help!

USB 3.0 support isn't built in to the OS (requires an external driver) -- it would also probably be a good idea to check to see if there is an updated USB 3.0 driver for your motherboard (especially since you are having problems with the ports).

Anubis_Andro

Sep 29, 2013
USB 3.0 support isn't built in to the OS (requires an external driver) -- it would also probably be a good idea to check to see if there is an updated USB 3.0 driver for your motherboard (especially since you are having problems with the ports).
I do have USB 3.0 drivers installed, but i shall update it, turns out there is a new driver. also just a little question, i have both Intel and VIA USB 3.0 drivers installed. should i only have one driver, or is both necessary? thanks

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
I do have USB 3.0 drivers installed, but i shall update it, turns out there is a new driver. also just a little question, i have both Intel and VIA USB 3.0 drivers installed. should i only have one driver, or is both necessary? thanks

Your motherboard has both Intel and Via USB hubs, so both drivers are necessary if you want to be able to use all of your USB 3.0 ports.

BTW, what model router do you have? How old is it, and how long has it been since you've power cycled it? Finally, do you have any other wireless devices in the house and, if so, are they having any connection problems?

Last edited:

Anubis_Andro

Sep 29, 2013
Your motherboard has both Intel and Via USB hubs, so both drivers are necessary if you want to be able to use all of your USB 3.0 ports.

BTW, what model router do you have? How old is it, and how long has it been since you've power cycled it? Finally, do you have any other wireless devices in the house and, if so, are they having any connection problems?
Sorry for the late reply,
Alright, ive installed both USB 3.0 drivers.

The router i have is a Netgear N600 DGND3700V2 Dual band. its only less than 8 months old, and im afraid i dont know what you mean by power cycled. if you mean the last time i shut it off, i usually shut it off every third or fourth day.

i have about 6 other devices in my house, including my family's devices hooked up to the router. there are usually no problems with those devices other than occasional lag, most probably caused by my ISP.

Also as a side note, after the firmware and driver update and the switch of USB ports, i haven't experienced a freeze at all. thanks for your help so far, i appreciate it :D