Internet connectivity but can't access any sites

zigzag03

Dec 14, 2001
Have not run into this before. Win 10, a hp machine that I am going to guess is off lease. Small box, has DP so it's not ancient. Anyway, replaced an older machine with working hardwire ethernet, plugged in the new, Settings says it's connected, so too the little icon down on the bottom bar. Can ping google and get a 30ms response every time. But no web page will open. Says check the address (of google.com for instance, so it should know what it's looking for) and make sure you've got it right.

All hardware is fine in device mgr, firewall is disabled, I don't get it! Could there be some setting here from it's previous life in a business for instance that could block all sites? Obviously I haven't tried them ALL, but you know what I'm saying. Thanks.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
If you're buying used computers with an OS installed, step 1 should always be to do a clean install.

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
If you are still running the OS that was used by a business on a lease, it's entirely likely that it has proxy settings and Internet access restrictions enabled. It would be best to do a clean install of Windows 10 so that you know what is on the machine and don't run into additional problems in the future.

Since it already has Windows 10 installed and activated, just use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to make a bootable USB or DVD drive and boot from the USB/DVD and install Windows 10 from that. It should activate and update automatically.

zigzag03

Dec 14, 2001
Good advice, thank you gentlemen. The machine is not mine, and was just purchased from a reseller I believe, so it may be that he should just trot it back down there. Regardless, I'll suggest he let me start it over fresh. Thanks again.