Internet Connection Problems! I am out of solutions!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: dguy6789
Originally posted by: Modelworks
When you changed out the router did you change out the wall adapter too ?

Yes.

Absolutely everything physical in my home network has been replaced at least once.

Some thoughts of mine: Could I be under a DOS attack of some sort? A flood of connections? Electricity isn't the problem, my hardware isn't the problem. I did notice that my connection would drop more often if I was running a torrent. Could this mean anything? The router will still completely shut down and then come back on, even when on my brand new ups.

That is common with routers that cannot handle the number of connections. They fail and restart or sometimes require someone to physically power them off and on.

If you think you are under an attack then connect the modem to the pc directly, no router in between, and run wireshark to see what is coming and going.

http://www.wireshark.org/

You might have to disable any firewall to get accurate results unless the firewall logs what traffic it is blocking.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999
I have a "brilliant" idea. :light:

For a week, Stop across the board from all computers, the P2P , Torrenting, and any other Piggish ;) (Internet wise) behavior, and see what would happen.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
To OP:

So many people have provided advices and if it still does not help you, Google is your friend.

http://www.google.com/search?h...router+keeps+rebooting

Personally, I still believe it's something behind the router (P2P or not P2P, games, non-detected virus, etc.) is making too many connections at a time.

And did you turn on WEP or WPA encryption for your wireless router? Could it be hijacked by neighbor who is using P2P?

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
what happens is P2P causes an unrealistic # of connections when the cable modem goes out. you may have a tap or headend issue in your neighborhood. when you lose signal go to another cable modem user and check their packet loss too (got wifi? :) )

if you watch your [nat] connection count when the wan goes down you'll see it skyrocket since it can't connect it tries for others.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
The problem still happens if only one pc is connected to the router and I am running nothing but aim and firefox.... I have already stated this. If the problem was as simple as closing p2p software, I would not have even made this thread. Of course I have tested with varying forms of wireless security on and off.

I am looking into the programs listed above currently.

Edit:

Does anything in here look fishy?

http://lorddguy.googlepages.com/connections.jpg

Is there any behavior inside of this program that I should look for?

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
I have had 4 different routers all have this problem, all with their own power adaptors. One of those includes a Linksys 54G router. What are the odds that every single one of these has a broken ac adaptor? Any idea how I can get a hold an an ac adaptor that might not be broken that will work with this router?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Well, the problem is that you did not list all the routers you used. How can anyone here try to help know how many differnt models you tried, or you just exchanged for the same model?

Hope someone else in this forum can help, good luck.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
RF Parameters
Downstream
Freq/Power: 609.000 MHz 3 dBmV
Signal to Noise Ratio: 38 dB
Modulation: QAM256
Upstream
Freq/Power: 33.008 MHz 42 dBmV
Channel Type: DOCSIS 1.x (TDMA)
Symbol Rate: 2560 kSym/sec
Modulation: QAM16

Status
System Uptime: 1 days 5h:36m:19s
Computers Detected: 1
CM Status: Telephony-AC Power Iso OFF Reg Complete
Time and Date: SUN DEC 14 04:47:51 2008

I already showed this to a networking friend and he said it was fine. I also mentioned this earlier in the thread.

Where locally would I be able to buy an ac adaptor that is compatible with my router? I will do that tomorrow.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Try Raidoshack.

Something similar to this? http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,19781073

My own experience: The first year I get cable service, whenever it rains, the internet drops periodically. Charter found the connection box on the curbside will be submerged under water. They have to replace it with a new sealed box.
Years later, the cable surrounding the house is getting old and the signal also gets dropped from time to time, they eventually re-run the cable. All the above conditions will cause modem (and probably router at the same time) to reboot.

My previous situation need not apply.

It's definitely very hard to find the real source of trouble sometimes.

* Do you own the modem or rent from service provider? I'm not a cable guy, but I noticed that your modem is DOCSIS 1.x. Does your service provider upgraded their network to DOCSIS 2.X? My old Motorola DOCSIS 1.x modem is very hard to get steady with Charter's new DOCSIS 2.x network, and I have to buy a new Linksys DOCSIS 2.x modem

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
The cable modem itself has no problems at all as far as I can tell. The lights are always on even when my net dies, it never restarts or gives me any reason to believe it isn't working right. If I connect just the cable modem to the pc, I have absolutely zero issues.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Well, then maybe the only option is find an low power unused PC / laptop and install IPCop / pfSense firewall on it and see if it can solve the problem.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
These are the specifications for the AC adaptor of my router:

Input 120 Volt 60 hz 0.3A
Output 1A

I am having trouble locating any sort of generic AC adaptor at all on Radioshack's website.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I seriously doubt it is the adapter . If you changed it out that has probably eliminated the problem.
The best solution has already been suggested. Get a cheap pc from somewhere and install pfsense.
That is the only thing I have found that can run torrents at the highest of connections and throughput without dropping a packet.
You only need a pc with a 500Mhz cpu, 128MB ram, 10GB HD , to set up a pfsense box.
Chances are you can find one in the trash, people toss them out all the time.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
First step Modem directly at the direct input into the house and one computer directly on it., disconnected from phone, the inside network, or whatever else rides on the system in the house. If it does not work, then it is really the ISP responsibility to make it work under this condition. Right Now, it is easy to them to dismiss you because it is Not their responsibility to provide you with support for your network, and whatever hardware you choose to plug into it, If it does work well under such clean setting, then apologize to the ISP , and continuer from there.

Have you followed this advice?

I worked in DSL tech support for years and this is the best advice. Try to isolate the problem. The fact that you see good signal values in the modem now doesn't mean anything. I have seen perfectly good DSL lines crap out because of elevators, E1 in the same copper bundle and a whole other bunch of problems caused by outside interference. The same applies for cable modems

Just follow his advice, move the modem to the introduction point, put it on the UPS, use one PC directly connected on it with no p2p crap running and monitor. If it still goes down then it's 99,99% the problem of the ISP

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
I have already stated probably more than five times by now that the problem does not exist at all in any shape or form if I don't use a router. But the problem happens every single time I use a router, it doesn't matter which router I use. Something is causing every single router I have ever tried to malfunction in the same way.

ScottMac

Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member
Mar 19, 2001
If you're using p2p software, cut back the number of streams.

A common problem is that the SOHO routers run out of space in the NAT translation table.

How that affects the SOHO router will vary, but it's never a Good Thing.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
With absolutely nothing but one pc, one cable modem, one firefox, and one aim messenger, the problem still happens.

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
Just realized something. My homepage is google news. It refreshes every couple minutes, but I almost always have it open no matter what even if I'm not looking at it. I am going to see if the disconnects happen without that site open.

Edit: Scratch that, problem still happens.