Internationl Institute for Strategic Studies Report: Iraq War has Strengthened Al Qaeda

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
from Reuters

I wouldn't put much stock in this. ISIS is a known hotbed of liberal activism and defeatism. NO one warned us that the Iraq war would actually help terrorists.
rolleye.gif

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
Originally posted by: tnitsuj
from Reuters

I wouldn't put much stock in this. ISIS is a known hotbed of liberal activism and defeatism. NO one warned us that the Iraq war would actually help terrorists.
rolleye.gif

I agree, left wankers

:D

dpm

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2002
from Reuters I wouldn't put much stock in this. ISIS is a known hotbed of liberal activism and defeatism. NO one warned us that the Iraq war would actually help terrorists.
rolleye.gif

Actually, this report is from IISS (The International Institute for Strategic Studies) and not from ISIS (The Institute for Science and International Security), although its an easy mistake to make.

tnitsuj

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: dpm
from Reuters I wouldn't put much stock in this. ISIS is a known hotbed of liberal activism and defeatism. NO one warned us that the Iraq war would actually help terrorists.
rolleye.gif

Actually, this report is from <a class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.iiss.org/" target=blank>IISS</a> (The International Institute for Strategic Studies) and not from <a class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.isis-online.org/" target=blank>ISIS</a> (The Institute for Science and International Security), although its an easy mistake to make.

Sorry, I knew the right organization, typed the wrong acronym.

dpm

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2002
Originally posted by: dpm
Originally posted by: tnitsuj from Reuters I wouldn't put much stock in this. ISIS is a known hotbed of liberal activism and defeatism. NO one warned us that the Iraq war would actually help terrorists.
rolleye.gif
Actually, this report is from the IISS(The International Institute for Strategic Studies) and not from the ISIS (The Institute for Science and International Security), although its an easy mistake to make.
Sorry, I knew the right organization, typed the wrong acronym.

ah right - there are too many of them about with similar names - ISIS, IISS, CSIS...

I'm not sure, however, that I'd call ISIS a "known hotbed of liberal activism and defeatism". From what I've heard of them - they announced before the war that they thought Saddam still had WMDs, and said that a succesful political regime change would be justification for war alone - they wouldn't really fit that description.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
from Reuters

rolleye.gif

In the months before the invasion the Bush administration was warned repeatedly that attacking Iraq would play right into Al Qaeda's hand, angering young Muslims and making recruitment easier for Al Qaeda.

Now the warnings are coming true and people conveniently choose to forget they happened.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
These are liberal lies trying to distort the great achievements of the Bush administration . . . except for this part . . .
"On the plus side, war in Iraq has denied al Qaeda a potential supplier of weapons of mass destruction and discouraged state sponsors of terrorism from continuing to support it," the report said.

Now that's the unfiltered truth but the rest of their assessment is an assault on a great nation making great strides in creating a peaceful, prosperous world . . . where George W. is emperor.

preslove

Lifer
Sep 10, 2003
NO one warned us that the Iraq war would actually help terrorists.

I warned everyone willing to talk about the subjct. It's fvcking obvious if you know anything about arab/muslim culture-- REAL Jihad is fighting to expel a foreign (non-muslim) occupier. Before the war in Iraq Al-qaeda's claims of jihad against America were tenuous, as we weren't occupying a muslim land. Now, however, we're fair game, and most muslims think Ossama will do the right thing in regards to America (I saw a Pew poll backing this before/after scenario up).

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
No surprise here...we all warned that this would happen.

Bush gave everyone the finger, and this is exactly what he deserves.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Now the right wing tries to re-write history again.

No one told them?

Bullsh!t. They didn't listen to ANY of the warnings which are ALL coming true now.

This is their idea of "honor and dignity" - the lying hypocrites.

Witling

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2003
On the plus side, war in Iraq has denied al Qaeda a potential supplier of weapons of mass destruction and discouraged state sponsors of terrorism from continuing to support it," the report said

Right. But it's a fairly stupid statement considering that no national government (or any other kind of government) has ever supplied terrorists with WMD. Instead, you've got a situation where planes can't land at the Baghdad airport because we can't find the stinger missles we introduced into the Middle East. Bin Laden's second in command is reported to have been delighted that the Muslims who support Al Quieda would have a chance to take on the U.S. troops on a more personal basis. There are funadmental differences between historic occupations and this one. You cannot make a modern society work by force, even a society as creaky as Iraq's. There's a ton of sabotage in the oil industry. Boy, there's a surprise!