Question Internal USB card that has headers for USB C and USB 3.0

sonoma1993

Diamond Member
May 31, 2004
Anyone know of any companies that sales internal PCIE USB cards that has headers for USB 3.0 and USB C? I recently got a new case and it came with 4 USB 3.0 ports and 1 usb C GEN 2 port. I got the Phantek Ehtoo Pro II. My motherboard is ASUX X570 TUF Gaming Wifi. It only has one internal USB 3.0 port and no internal port for USB C. I've been searching the past few days I've only internal PCIE that either has USB 3.0 port and no internal USB C port. Or It has internal USB C port but no internal USB 3.0 port.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Anyone know of any companies that sales internal PCIE USB cards that has headers for USB 3.0 and USB C?

Another solution could be an adaptor like this one:

https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=906&area=en

But it's limited to 5 Gbit USB3 without a corresponding card which can do 10Gbit USB3 over the 19pin connector:

https://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=712&bno=116&tb=51&area=en

You can also get one from Type E socket (20pin USB-C) to 19pin, but that would require a card with two Type E sockets.

https://www.newegg.com/p/181-017N-00010

At which point you might be better of just getting a card with a Type E, and another card with a standard 19pin since you mainboard has the necessary PCIe slots.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Paperdoc

Platinum Member
Aug 17, 2006
I suspect much of your dilemma is due to labels, and the USB new systems have changed enough to confuse us all.

As I understand the current labels, the USB2 system is unchanged, The USB3 system is now this way:
ALL USB3 systems are now versions of USB 3.2.
What was at first USB3 and then USB 3.0 became USB 3.1 Gen1, and NOW is USB 3.2 Gen1. That is the system that can do data transfers up to 5 Gb/s.
The newest and fastest (10 Gb/s) was at first called USB 3.1 Gen2, and NOW is USB 3.2 Gen2.

Then there is the very latest iteration called USB 3.2 Gen2x2 that can do 20 Gb/s.

Although USB 3.2 Gen2 can be done with either the USB3 version of a Type A connector and socket, it is preferred to use the newer Type C socket / connector which is more durable and better for high data rates. In addition, there is backwards compatibility: you CAN plug a USB 3.2 Gen1 system device (5 Gb/s) into either of those two types of sockets and it WILL work at 5 Gb/s. (You even can plug an older USB2 Type A connector into such a socket and it will work at the old slower speed.) So, if your devices to plug in are the USB 3.2 Gen 1 (formerly called USB 3.1 Gen 1, and earlier just USB 3), you can plug them into ANY USB 3.2 socket, regardless of the Gen variety. The only real restriction is if your device is the newest fastest USB 3.2 Gen 2 (10 Gb/s) variety - that does require a matching USB 3.2 Gen 2 socket IF you expect to achieve the 10 Gb/s data rate.

So, the rear panel of your mobo (see manual p. 2-12) has four USB 3.2 Gen1 sockets of the Type A variety, and these are what used to be called USB 3.0. It also has one USB 3.2 Gen 2 Type C socket if you need it for a new high-speed device. Those would appear to be what you are looking for.

On your case, the front panel has four Type A sockets labelled USB 3.0 in its manual, and the case has a cable from that to plug into a mobo header. In fact, those four are now called USB 3.2 Gen 1. The cable can plug into a mobo header on the front middle edge (see manual p. 1-12) labelled USB32G1_12. Then the front panel also has one type C socket labelled USB 3.1 Gen 2 in its manual, and that is now called USB 3.2 Gen 2. Its cable will have a very different connector on its end, and your mobo does NOT have one of those according to its manual. They are called a USB type E mobo socket. (My mobo has one, but my case does not have such a Type C socket and cable. However, I have found it hard to find a cable/Type C set to buy and fit into my case so I can actually use that header.) So I suggest that case front panel Type C socket may not be of any use to you, given the cable connector does not mate with any mobo socket. BUT the four USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type A sockets on the front ARE usable for what you want.

Reactions: BTRY B 529th FA BN

charlietee

Golden Member
Jul 27, 2001
I have the Tuf Gaming X570 wifi, with a Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh RGB. Lian-Li sells a USB C cable as a add on for the case and a PW-INC1TR USB 3.1 (Type-C) to USB 3.0 (20 pin) adapter for $30.00...Found a couple of solutions neither allowing for 10 GB/s...Syba USB 3.0...Option 2.

Less expensive option...Fleabay...Hopefully with USB front panel C ports on ;more and more cases, a known vendor will release a "true" USB 19 pin C PCI-E card.

At this point I am considering selling my motherboard as the Tuf Gaming only has one ARGB header causing issues with the proprietary Lian-Li fan connectors and the 3 pin ARGB diffused LED strips...Lian-Li strips...The strips brightness does not change using the Lian-Li SL120 Uni fans.

Between the fans, splitters and adapters it almost makes sense to sell the motherboard and get something with else...Asus has released the "Pro" series Tuf Gaming with the 19 pin C port...But still with just the one USB 3.0 port and the one ARGB port.

Still waiting on the new AMD processors and new video cards hit the market so I can make a "informed" decision on what to purchase.