Question Intermittent problem with shift key

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
(Win10 laptop)

recently, my right shift key intermittently stopped working.

i would do left parenthesis (shift 9) but a 9 gets typed instead as if I didnt press the shift key.
The laptop is a few yrs old so i figured the shift key is going bad.

But then i discovered if i hold down the shift key, the first time i try parenthesis, a 9 would come.
i'm still holding down the shift key and i press it again, and i get a parenthesis.
if it was a mechanical problem, the 2nd time i tried it should have still given me a 9.

it doesnt matter which program.
i've tried notepad, facebook, and Anandtech.
All the same: Intermittent problem with the right shift key.

Ran malwarebytes.
no virus.

Most recent installed software was Microsoft Edge Webview2 Runtime.
i didnt even know it got installed.
I uninstalled it.
Same problem.

Any ideas?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
My numeric key number 9 starts to acting up a few days ago, also intermittently. :confused:

No idea exactly what happened. I wonder if it's Windows issue.

==

Well, tested it again, it should be keyboard issue. It acted the same way under LINUX.

Last edited:

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
My numeric key number 9 starts to acting up a few days ago, also intermittently. :confused:

No idea exactly what happened. I wonder if it's Windows issue.

==

Well, tested it again, it should be keyboard issue. It acted the same way under LINUX.
i restarted win10 in safe mode.
same. :(

but it's so weird.
like i said in my OP, if i hold down the shift key then sometimes the 1st character i press is lower case but all subsequent characters are upper case.

but my pressure on the shift key hasnt changed.

so i need to change out the entire keyboard?
meh, going to learn to use the left shift key

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
Mine keyboard was acting so weird that I had to change my password. And it was just number 9 that wouldn't take the stroke most of the time (It's a small keyboard without keypad), even if I hit it hard.

Now after I changed my password, number 9 starts to work fine again. :rolleyes:

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I would've just swapped in a different keyboard for testing, or for use till I took the keyboard apart to see what's up.

If using the conductive laminated (mylar?) sheet switching then it might just need those cleaned, or they might have corroded if you got certain liquids down inside. If it's instead a mechanically switched kbd, I'd spray some deoxidizing contact cleaner down in that switch, if it isn't sealed (aka not water ingress rated or lower than IP(n)4 ).

Last edited:
Reactions: Steltek