Question Interesting thing about requirements for video games

FiReFTW

Oct 23, 2022
So im noticing with some new video games when I check can you run it to see if my pc can run it and at what requirements, I noticed that in some games it says my graphics card is not enough to run it.

And yet I check the graphics card which are recommended for that video game for the requirements and their benchmarks are half of that of my graphics card benchmark, so basically they are 2 times worse and yet it says that mine is not sufficient.

My graphics card is GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

Some graphics card recommended for the video games where my graphic card is supposedly not enough:

Radeon RX470 570
GeForce GTX 1050 TI
GeForce GTX 960

All of them way worse benchmarks than mine... I find it ineresting

FiReFTW

Oct 23, 2022
Yeah I also assumed that this is the reason why, but in any case my graphics card is way better in benchmark results, so 3gb vs 4gb should not mean that my videocard is less capable to run the game in my opinion or?

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
So im noticing with some new video games when I check can you run it to see if my pc can run it and at what requirements, I noticed that in some games it says my graphics card is not enough to run it.

And yet I check the graphics card which are recommended for that video game for the requirements and their benchmarks are half of that of my graphics card benchmark, so basically they are 2 times worse and yet it says that mine is not sufficient.

Some graphics card recommended for the video games where my graphic card is supposedly not enough:

Radeon RX470 570
GeForce GTX 1050 TI
GeForce GTX 960

Which benchmarks? The RX570 is better than your card.

Reactions: alexruiz

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Yeah I also assumed that this is the reason why, but in any case my graphics card is way better in benchmark results, so 3gb vs 4gb should not mean that my videocard is less capable to run the game in my opinion or?
It doesn't matter how fast your GPU is if it doesn't get the data it needs fast enough, and if the game is made to fill out 4Gb of vram it means that 1Gb of that will always be in-between storage, read or written to temporary storage, which will cause a lot of slow down and frame drops.
You should still be able to play the games just don't expect great performance.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
It doesn't matter how fast your GPU is if it doesn't get the data it needs fast enough, and if the game is made to fill out 4Gb of vram it means that 1Gb of that will always be in-between storage, read or written to temporary storage, which will cause a lot of slow down and frame drops.
You should still be able to play the games just don't expect great performance.
This. With a caveat.

There are games out now that even at 1080 low can use more than 3GB. Regardless of that, the 1060 3GB can play all of the games in question. You simply have to live with the compromise of tweaking settings so as not to exceed its frame buffer.

Thunder 57

Platinum Member
Aug 19, 2007
Thank NVIDIA for releasing a "1060" 3GB that never should have had that name. Not only does it have half the memory as the original 1060, it also has less processing power. They can get away with things like that because they control the vast majority of the video card market. Thankfully, that has started to change.

Unfortunately, you will have to turn down the settings and/or the resolution so that it will perform better.

Reactions: KompuKare

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Didn't really want to make a new thread about it, but the PC version of Returnal says it requires 16 GB of ram and the video cards are the 1060 6 GB or 580 8 GB. Recommended is 32 GB.

The ram requirements seem pretty high but it is also not a crossgen game.

Last edited:

alexruiz

Platinum Member
Sep 21, 2001

Radeon RX470 570
GeForce GTX 1050 TI
GeForce GTX 960

The RX 570 is faster than yours, so not "way worse benchmarks"

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
OP hasn't signed in since 11/13, just another hit and run.
It's not uncommon for people to have tech questions but have no desire to keep up with tech forums. It's the same on all types of forums, really. Person has a question, they get an answer, then they leave.