Interesting situation here. A company wants me to send them an invoice for ZERO dollars . . . .

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
am i crazy for not wanting to send a corporation an invoice from my company for zero dollars?

Here's the situation: Quest Diagnostics is going to put in a bridge from their database to my clients database. I am the reseller for the database APP my clients use, Practice Management Software.

Quest Diagnostics wants me to send them a blank invoice for zero dollars before they will put this interface for my clients.

They are trying to cover their ass, i know, BUT.

what company in their right mind would send out a blank invoice for zero dollars?

isn't that like giving out a signed blank check??

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Invoicing cost money, send them the blank one, along with another one that covers the cost for BOTH invoices.

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
How would it be like a signed blank check?

The invoice is specifically stating that there was no charge for the specific work done. Nothing more, nothing less.

If you write on a napkin "$0.00 for any and all work done related to Quest Diagnostics" and sign it, well yea, that sounds like a blank check.

PlatinumGold

Lifer
Aug 11, 2000
Originally posted by: KK
what harm would it cause to send the invoice?

a blank invoice could mean, that if something goes wrong on the install, they could turn around and blame it on me, saying it was do to something i did or did not do.

i need the invoice to be specific, if they want me to sign off on it. if it is something i can be held liable for or if it is something that requires me to work, either remotely or onsite, then i have to charge for it. this is how i earn a living.

i cannot send them a blank invoice and have them try to call me willy nilly and say that i didn't fulfill the terms of the invoice.

they specifically stated to me, they are doing this because in the past other people have charged them for stuff after the fact. so they are trying to protect themselves.

by the same token, i have to protect myself and have the invoice be specific enough so that quest or my client doesn't turn around and say this invoice means that i had to do certain work for them.

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
Ask a superior what to do so you don't get in trouble

Cattlegod

Diamond Member
May 22, 2001
add on the invoice the cost it takes to make the invoice. I'd guess it would take about 45 minutes to get everything situated and mailed. Typical contract hours are $120/hour, plus gas, stamp, ink, paper, and envelope should add up to about 100 bucks to create the invoice for them. Tack that on as the bill.