Interesting problem with HDMI audio from PC to Receiver. Need help!

Ayrahvon

Aug 7, 2007
I have picked up a new receiver with HDMI and was originally hoping to use my video card (gigabyte geforce 550 Ti) to send both the audio and video signal to my receiver and then to my monitor (using windows).

Here in lies the problem: My monitor is DVI and I have an HDMI to DVI converter so that I can connect it. I did not think this would be an issue until I realized that NVidia will NOT let you enable HDMI audio if it thinks you are connected via DVI.

Even though all the sound is going to be decoded and played directly from the receiver, I currently can't. What is crazy is if I have audio playing and turn off my monitor, Nvidia recognizes the receiver's HDMI and the music starts playing. Turn the monitor back on and... gone!

Currently I have this somewhat working by having a vga connection from my graphics card to monitor as well as the HDMI to the reciever. This is less than ideal as I have to duplicate the first screen to see anything on the 'second' screen.

I've searched and have yet to find a fix for this. Is there a way to trick my graphics card into thinking my monitor is HDMI instead of DVI, or is there a way to simply enable the audio in another way?

Cliffs:

HDMI from video card to receiver to DVI Monitor disables HDMI audio in the Nvidia and windows panels.

HALP!

Thanks!

tivo1

Sep 12, 2002
maybe look into the HDFury line of things... perhaps they can get you were you want...

Sep 12, 2004
Is the DVI input on your monitor HDCP compatible (many are)? If it is you shouldn't be having this problem. Also, are you using the HDMI output from the receiver to your monitor?

Ayrahvon

Aug 7, 2007
Is the DVI input on your monitor HDCP compatible (many are)? If it is you shouldn't be having this problem. Also, are you using the HDMI output from the receiver to your monitor?

The DVI on the monitor is HDCP compatible and I am using an HDMI output from the receiver to the monitor (24" Samsung Syncmaster SA300, I know not the greatest but I got it so cheap). The only thing in-between is the converter to DVI. The video goes through to the monitor fine, but it then does not give me the option of enabling HDMI audio. It claims that it is not connected.

Ayrahvon

Aug 7, 2007
maybe look into the HDFury line of things... perhaps they can get you were you want...

I am intrigued by this HDFury company, but I don't know what I should be looking at. These look like any other converter (like the one I'm using now) but I'm guessing they do something different or better?

Sep 12, 2004
The DVI on the monitor is HDCP compatible and I am using an HDMI output from the receiver to the monitor (24" Samsung Syncmaster SA300, I know not the greatest but I got it so cheap). The only thing in-between is the converter to DVI. The video goes through to the monitor fine, but it then does not give me the option of enabling HDMI audio. It claims that it is not connected.
Maybe the converter is the problem? You could try using an HDMI to DVI cable. If it doesn't work, return it.

Ayrahvon

Aug 7, 2007
Unfortunately I don't at the moment.

Edit: I'm not really of the mind that it is the monitors fault, it seems to me to be more of an issue with how Nvidia and Windows decides when HDMI audio should be enabled. Because it correctly see's my connection to the Monitor as DVI it disables (and will not let you automatically enable) the HDMI audio driver.

Sep 12, 2004
Are you expecting True HD or DTS HD Master output from your receiver? If not, you could always use optical out to the receiver instead.

Ayrahvon

Aug 7, 2007
Are you expecting True HD or DTS HD Master output from your receiver? If not, you could always use optical out to the receiver instead.

This was purely a convenience thing, this computer is pretty new and I had yet to upgrade the audio card on it so I am without optical or spif out. Adding another card is doable but I was hoping to save some money on this build.

Sep 12, 2004
What motherboard does this system have? Most today have optical and/or SPDIF out so I would be surprised if it didn't.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Sometimes analog jacks double as S/PDIF but in this case it seems an accessory bracket/module is required to connect to the internal header to provide both coaxial and optical. You can either get an ASUS one or compare their wiring specs to any other and move its plug pins as necessary.

Sep 12, 2004
I checked the Samsung website for your monitor and noticed that there is a firmware update available for it. It has a brief statement with the firmware update about it addressing "PC compatibility issues".

It's a shot in the dark and may not resolve your problem but it probably won't hurt to do the update, assuming your monitor doesn't already have the latest firmware.

Ayrahvon

Aug 7, 2007
I checked the Samsung website for your monitor and noticed that there is a firmware update available for it. It has a brief statement with the firmware update about it addressing "PC compatibility issues".

It's a shot in the dark and may not resolve your problem but it probably won't hurt to do the update, assuming your monitor doesn't already have the latest firmware.

Probably doesn't, one of the few pieces of equipment I don't regularly check for firmware updates! Will give it a go tonight!