Interesting: Palit GTS 450 low profile

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Palit NE5S4500F0601 GeForce GTS 450

Pretty cool to see manufacturers take a risk on design. Here we have a low profile (actually comes with the LP bracket preinstalled, and normal bracket in the box) GeForce GTS 450. Looks like it could be the new "king" of low profile cards.

It is a dual slot card and requires a single 6-pin PCIe power plug, but that's not unusual as many of the higher performance single slot cards were like this, such as the popular Sparkle models (Galaxy 9600 GT "green" LP is an exception). The fansink is a blower with rear exhaust, which is unique and should result in lower temps in cramped SFF cases. Don't know about noise, however, as small blowers are not usually quiet. The card is 7.48" long, and the PCIe power plug doesn't add to the length or height. Pricing is in line with normal GTS 450.

Nvidia rates the GTS 450 at a 106W TDP according to Anandtech's article.

I wonder how it would fare in a SFF system such as these Foxconn units measuring 11.5" x 12.5" x 3.5"? Hmmm, likely the motherboard will have to be swapped for a normal ITX to move the PCIe x16 up one, and the PSU swapped for one of those 80+ Bronze Seasonic TFX units, but this could end up as one of the smallest (in volume) SFF gaming rigs.

fuzzymath10

Feb 17, 2010
I just got the Powercolor 5750 low profile for my slim NSK1480. In SC2, I used to run 1600x900 at lowest and get about 30fps with an overclocked HD 3450. Now I run at ultra at 50-60fps stock :)

The GTS 450 is probably faster (not sure by how much) but the 5750 does have a lower TDP.

brybir

Jun 18, 2009
ALl this talk about Palit and Foxconn, These are not big players in the game. I wouldnt trust their PCB imo. Thanks

Except that Foxxconn is one of the worlds largest OEM computer part producers. They are one of the massive OEM companies that no one hears about most of the time but it is almost guaranteed that any computer you are using has something made by them in it.

Flipped Gazelle

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2004
Except that Foxxconn is one of the worlds largest OEM computer part producers. They are one of the massive OEM companies that no one hears about most of the time but it is almost guaranteed that any computer you are using has something made by them in it.

We hear about them every time an employee commits suicide. :'(

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
ALl this talk about Palit and Foxconn, These are not big players in the game. I wouldnt trust their PCB imo. Thanks

I think Palit is bigger in Europe. They don't have much of a USA presence. They tried for about a year to have a bigger presence here, but closed up their (then) USA office about 2 years ago. They seem to be trickling back these days.

Foxconn is huge. Along with Flextronics, they usually are responsible for the high end Nvidia reference cards. Yup, that GTX 480, GTX 280 or 8800 GTX many of us here have owned were not made by EVGA, or BFG, or Asus, or any other common enthusiast "brand" on the sticker. They were made by either Foxconn or Flextronics.

God Mode

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2005

The bigger players tend to play it safe and release reference type products. I commend sparkle (low profile gts250) and palit for their low profile gaming cards.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Palit NE5S4500F0601 GeForce GTS 450

Pretty cool to see manufacturers take a risk on design. Here we have a low profile (actually comes with the LP bracket preinstalled, and normal bracket in the box) GeForce GTS 450. Looks like it could be the new "king" of low profile cards.

It is a dual slot card...

I always equated "low-profile" with being less height. How is a dual-slot card a low-profile card if it is still a dual-slot card?

Does "low-profile" not equate to the number of slots a card will occupy? :confused:

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Last edited:

heymrdj

Diamond Member
May 28, 2007
I always equated "low-profile" with being less height. How is a dual-slot card a low-profile card if it is still a dual-slot card?

Does "low-profile" not equate to the number of slots a card will occupy? :confused:

No the slots it takes up isn't what determines low profile, how high it comes off the mainboard does. Full Profile are normal size desktops, low profile are slim chassis and SFF chassis, like the slim Dell Inspiron desktops (531S) and the Shuttle boxes.