Interesting map of Iraq

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kibbo

Platinum Member
Jul 13, 2004
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
Man the British have had it easy compared to us!

Hmmm. . . excellent observation. They are mostly in the south, right?

Couple other points that might bear upon this issue:

1)Blair was not exactly gung-ho about this war from the beginning, many say he just pledged his support in order to get Bush & co. to listen to him during the UN debacle. Then he stood by his word (good for him).

2)The UK is the only country that saves the "coalition of the willing" from being a complete joke. It is therefore important to keep them on board.

It seems almost that the British were intentionally placed in the areas where there would be less going on.

Here's a mini-conspiracy theory for you:

The Bush cadre knew there would be shit. They didn't want to plan for it because a) big troop (and $) numbers scare voters; b) They wanted chaos in Iraq, the better to excuse a long-term military presence.

Welcome to the Pax Americana

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: Michael
Don Vito - I agree that the map does plot out where the attacks are taking place. I have an issue with the inference that they're widespread. The map itself contains the notation that most are in Sunni Arab areas.

Sunni Arabs are a minority in Iraq but held the power and supressed the other ethnic groups. As a group, they have probably lost the most in terms of power and influence in Iraq. It makes perfect sense to me that there would be more attacks from that group.

The map also supports the assertion that the majority of the population is not behind the insurgency. The much smaller number of attacks in Shiite areas or Kurdish areas shows that most Iraqi's do not seem to be attacking the Americans (or British).

The propaganda I see is taking the map and then proclaiming that it shows that the insurrection is widespread. It actually does not show that.

Michael

This is a point well taken, though I'll observe there were still quite a few attacks in the Shia region of southern Iraq, particularly the cluster around Basra, and even a handful in the Kurdish-controlled area up north.

xXped0thugXx

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
I've identified the source of the violence in Iraq: roads/highways are way too accessible and handy. We need to bomb all roads immediately. If you look at the map, there's hardly any violence in Iraq where there isn't a handy road nearby. Stupid roads.

how would you propose to get supplies through? ever heard of mud, a Captain in my Company, said tanks and his artillery all got stuck in mud, never believe it with the climate over there, but you venture off roadways and find yourself in more of a mess than you started.

Also to quote your second post right after this one, of course there is going to be more violence in urban cities and the like because people have hiding places, little nooks, its natural and artificial cover and concealment. You dont get that much out in the desert except for bridges and dunes. Those two statements you made are just flat out nieve.

xXped0thugXx

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: conjur
xXped0thugXx....tap your sarcasm detection meter.

*tap* tap* tap* ahh ha! got it, havent been around much so i missed it.

i need to stop bye P&N more often, i like these debates, makes for an interesting read most of the time.

xXped0thugXx

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: dahunan
Originally posted by: chowderhead
I actually like these map.
Iraqi oil fields ... from Cheney's secret Enegry Meetings back in 2001. Good thing Cheney was preparing for the future.
;)

This map is GREAT too
Where al-Qaeda was known to be active as of 11-2001
http://usinfo.state.gov/products/pubs/terrornet/12.htm

thats ridiculous, i wish there was more info on that. For what it looks like there *may* be terrorists in these areas but some of these areas are untouched... or is that just me missing the whole point again?

Klixxer

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2004
Originally posted by: xXped0thugXx
Iraqi oil fields ... from Cheney's secret Enegry Meetings back in 2001. Good thing Cheney was preparing for the future.
;)

This map is GREAT too

thats ridiculous, i wish there was more info on that. For what it looks like there *may* be terrorists in these areas but some of these areas are untouched... or is that just me missing the whole point again?

It is a map of known locations, as you can see Iraq is not one of them.

xXped0thugXx

Golden Member
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Klixxer
;)

This map is GREAT too

yea i see that, austrailia? switzerland?

Klixxer

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2004
Originally posted by: Klixxer
;)

This map is GREAT too

yea i see that, austrailia? switzerland?

Yes?

Klixxer

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2004
What surprises me is that Canada isn't on that map, i think i read something about Al-Quaida members trying to get in to the US from.... oh wait, that was a made up story. :roll:

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
Despite what this thread may or may not have degenerated into (I've not been reading, sorry) I think the original post deserves a ..

Bump.

imported_Condor

Diamond Member
Sep 22, 2004
Good plan. I've long thought that if we eliminated all cities in the US that we would eliminate most of the violance.

Smilin

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
Originally posted by: Condor
Good plan. I've long thought that if we eliminated all cities in the US that we would eliminate most of the violance.

Yep. Masturbation too.

sorry, just a wise@ss comment. I actually came here to...

bump.

Ldir

Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2003
Originally posted by: CycloWizard
Originally posted by: conjur
Ayup...you're a troll. You've even admitted to being one.
The fact that you have the critical thinking skills of a fetus makes me a troll? I may be a troll, but that's the worst reason for calling someone a troll I've ever heard.
Originally posted by: Bowfinger
Personally, I'd award both titles to you, along with "bleating Bush apologist" for good measure. You're the one who tried to divert any hint of criticism from your feckless leader by suggesting violence in the U.S. is in some way comparable to violence in Iraq. It's not, not in the slightest, not in any way, shape, or form, and for you to suggest otherwise is assinine.

The map is a simple expression of facts. Facts. If you think those facts are hurtful to King George, then maybe you should extract your head from his posterior and think about why that is. Sometimes the truth hurts. You can either accept it and get on with your life, or you can cower in fear and try to deny it. I find it repugnant that you care more about GWBush -- one man -- than you do about America and our men and women in Iraq.

:disgust:
Obviously, you're someone with little experience with 'facts', else you'd realize that this is propaganda (ideas, facts, or allegations spread deliberately to further one's cause or to damage an opposing cause; also : a public action having such an effect). With no basis for comparison, the 'facts' presented are meaningless propaganda, as I've stated previously. Nor did I ever suggest that the stats in the US were comparable, just that it would give a frame of reference. Further, I daresay I have a lot more friends and family in Iraq than you'd care to count. But, of course, when you're wrong, ad hominems are always fun. :roll:
Originally posted by: DonVito
Propaganda toward what end? It's not intended to show that Iraq is a dangerous place (though I think that's a fairly noncontroversial assertion), but to show that insurgent attacks are spread all over the country. It was prepared using data from a private firm that provides security consulting services to businesses operating in Iraq, using data provided by US and Iraqi security forces.

It would be as meaningless to compare it to prewar Iraq, as it would be to compare it to Greenland, or British Guyana. It's relevant to showing the situation in Iraq today, not what was present two years ago.
Propaganda to turn more people against the war. Providing any frame of reference would give the data meaning. Comparing it to pre-war Iraq would give an indication of progress made in either direction.
I think I liked you better under your old identity.
:roll: I already posted a pic. Smoke a cock.

"When you're wrong, ad hominems are always fun." That is the one thing you got right. I will add one of my own. You are a crude and disgusting person.

---------------------
Bush Apologists of America (BAA): pulling the wool over America's eyes since 1980