interesting info about the DNC in Denver this fall.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
the event is going to be held at Pepsi Center. the building is owned by a guy named Stan Kroenke who happens to be married to Walmart Hairess Ann. well Pepsi Center is totally anti-union and will not let them on the grounds. I find it interesting that the DNC is being held at a venue that is anti-union and the RNC is being held at a Pro-union venue. you can expect large protest at the DNC by the unions.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: Citrix
the event is going to be held at Pepsi Center. the building is owned by a guy named Stan Kroenke who happens to be married to Walmart Hairess Ann. well Pepsi Center is totally anti-union and will not let them on the grounds. I find it interesting that the DNC is being held at a venue that is anti-union and the RNC is being held at a Pro-union venue. you can expect large protest at the DNC by the unions.

The message is clear, get rid of all Unions in the U.S. and drop the minimum wage.

People working for say 25 cents an hour ought to boost Corporate profits.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: loki8481
seems like kind of a strenuous connection.

connection? what connection, im just pointing out a intersting fact. the democratic party is not the party of LBJ or Kennedy anymore nor the party that my parents or grandparents belonged to.

Banzai042

Jul 25, 2005
I think you might be trying to read too much into it. What about the fact that the Pepsi Center is probably the best location in Denver for a massive number of people to gather for various speeches? Sure, the place may be anti-union, but it's also a matter of logistics.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

Go Nuggets!

Mxylplyx

Diamond Member
Mar 21, 2007
The only ideals our political parties have rests with the almighty dollar. The other ideals they talk about are merely there to divide the sheep of America into two seperate teams, so they can badmouth the other side in order to deflect attention from the fact that they have accomplished nothing for America. Ever since this country has become polarized along political lines, nothing significant has been accomplished on a national scale. We have nobody to blame but ourselves.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Isn't it possible the venue was chosen because of other more important factors other than a pro-union or anti-union stance? So while it's interesting, it's quite possibly coincidental.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
Isn't it possible the venue was chosen because of other more important factors other than a pro-union or anti-union stance? So while it's interesting, it's quite possibly coincidental.

I dont think so. the union/pepsi center fight has been going on since the pepsi center was built. the local dem leaders most definatly know about this before denver was even a finalist for the DNC.

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: dmcowen674

The message is clear, get rid of all Unions in the U.S. and drop the minimum wage.

People working for say 25 cents an hour ought to boost Corporate profits.

So "get with the program" and buy stocks, Dave ;)

Fern

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003

"strenuous" or tenuous ?

Pretty much completely opposite meanings.

Fern

Fern

Elite Member
Sep 30, 2003
Originally posted by: DealMonkey

I have long ago read that the region was chosen by Dems because they feel they can pick up votes in the west, whereas in the past they've typically gone Repub.

I do not know why they chose that specific building/facility. Does appear to be a blunder. But let's face it, the unions aren't going to get mad enough to vote Repub anyway.

Fern

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Well, how do you account for Republicans choosing a pro-union venue? Last I checked, the GOP wasn't exactly on board with the whole idea of collective bargaining and in fact have been overtly hostile to unions throughout recent history. Again, I think the venues for both parties where chosen for more important reasons other than their respective stance on unions.

Ferocious

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2000
The Democratic Party was mostly absorbed by the corporate borg over two decades ago. Part of it is still free, but only a small part. The GOP is virtually completely absorbed.

The corporate machine (in recent years) has been infiltrating the Libertarian Party just in case it becomes a force later. Its 'platform' changes in recent years has subtely become more anti-worker already.

Aegeon

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2004
Originally posted by: Banzai042
I think you might be trying to read too much into it. What about the fact that the Pepsi Center is probably the best location in Denver for a massive number of people to gather for various speeches? Sure, the place may be anti-union, but it's also a matter of logistics.
To repeat, the Pepsi Center was the only location that really made sense for Denver when logistics and similar issues were considered.

The reason Denver was picked was that Colorado represents a crucial swing state in the next Presidential election and picking that location will help Democrats appeal to western voters in general. The union issue was simply correctly identified as being less important than other factors.

Zedtom

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
Colorado is not really strong on labor unions due to the lack of heavy industry. There are, however a large number of government employees who are unionized. The local Democratic party members will be kissing the national member's behinds to keep everybody happy... but, once you get away from Denver, Boulder, and Aspen- Colorado is Republican as you can get.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Geez, you guys need more to do...it's a building to hold the convention in, not a statement of the stance of the party. As was pointed out in the OP, the Repubs are holding THEIR convention in a union friendly facility, despite it being very clear that, if anything, the Republican party is even more hostile to unions than every before.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
If you read around you will find that union groups are unhappy with the Democrat choice because the whole state is not seen as union friendly.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Ok... how many people really vote based on where the convention is held?

MAYBE some people in the town itself because of the extra news coverage, but overall does anyone really care where they hold thier convention?

Aegeon

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2004
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Ok... how many people really vote based on where the convention is held?

MAYBE some people in the town itself because of the extra news coverage, but overall does anyone really care where they hold thier convention?
At a bare minimum where the convention is held can effect the public perceptions of the party in question. I.E. if the Democrats had gone for New York this time that would have made it easier for Republicans to label them "a bunch of Northeastern liberals" especially since Boston was the convention choice last time. It also does at least somewhat convey the message that the Democratic Party cares about the concerns of those in Western states other than the coastal ones.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: CPA

Go Nuggets!
w00t!!

BTW, Unions SUCK!!

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Ferocious
The Democratic Party was mostly absorbed by the corporate borg over two decades ago. Part of it is still free, but only a small part. The GOP is virtually completely absorbed.

The corporate machine (in recent years) has been infiltrating the Libertarian Party just in case it becomes a force later. Its 'platform' changes in recent years has subtely become more anti-worker already.

Interesting. I fully agree with you about the Democrats and Republicans, they're both slime as far as I'm concerned. I'm interested in hearing more about the LPs change however. I haven't followed the party platform closely. Although I often vote for the LP candidate, I've never considered myself a Libertarian, but a libertarian. Where do see the LP as having been compromised by corporate money? And I'm not being confrontational here, I'm truly interested in this.