interest is pretty cool

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

chambersc

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2005
Originally posted by: Don Rodriguez
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Originally posted by: OS
Originally posted by: b0mbrman
$100/mo on $24k? I can get a much, MUCH better return than that spending minimal time after work.

How?
I sold my stake in Bubba Gump Shrimp and invested it in a company called Apple Computers.

for someone who talks big, you sure don't have much insight.

You're not ready to assume any risk, so why do you care?

When you change your mind, you can spend an hour reading through the ATOT Stock Market thread.

Wow man, you are so cool. You must have read the guide that says "If you want to act cool, go on the internet and talk condescending to people." Why not explain your point nicely instead of being such a jerk.

He's just trolling. Ignore him and he goes away.

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
$100/mo on $24k? I can get a much, MUCH better return than that spending minimal time after work.

And you can do this without doing a single thing like you can with a savings account?

Umberger

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2005
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
We're finally back up to decent rates again, and it's much sweeter to be earning interest than paying it out.

I don't have much in a savings account right now though, most of my cash is in CDs.

do your CD's really earn that much more than a good savings account? I like having the liquidity.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Slew Foot
Originally posted by: Naustica
You know what's even better than interest? Dividend. Nothing better than getting dividend check every 3 months and having stock price go up. Double reward. :)

Reinvest the dividend into more stocks= triple reward!

Yep, dividend reinvestment FTW. The only people who really need to be cashing their dividends out are old people on a fixed income. Others should set it up with their brokerage to just plow it back into stock automatically. Mine does it for free.

AgentEL

Golden Member
Jun 25, 2001
With that amount of money, you should really put in the time and invest it. Five percent return is on the low end of what you can make. Leaving it in a savings account is leaving so much potential money on the table.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Umberger
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
We're finally back up to decent rates again, and it's much sweeter to be earning interest than paying it out.

I don't have much in a savings account right now though, most of my cash is in CDs.

do your CD's really earn that much more than a good savings account? I like having the liquidity.
Not really, I just left the CDs alone earlier this year during the summer dip, while putting most of my savings account into more mutual fund shares. S&P 500 at 1240 (vs. 1366 today) was a good time to buy :)