Intel's Warranty....

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: VirtualLarry
Something tells me that someone is perusing the Intel personell files for someone named "erik". Likelihood of shitcanning? Hmm, you decide.

:laugh: Someone is getting the resume ready this evening.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
Originally posted by: VirtualLarry
Something tells me that someone is perusing the Intel personell files for someone named "erik". Likelihood of shitcanning? Hmm, you decide.

:laugh: Someone is getting the resume ready this evening.

AMD will hire him in a heartbeat, but will layoff two long-time loyal and hardworking employees to makeup for the salary outlay.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i think francisqos is busy right now.

He said he would get back to me and hasnt.

i wouldnt blame him tho, he's overseeing the whole i7 launch on XS.

bharatwaja

Dec 20, 2007
Originally posted by: myocardia
Originally posted by: Gillbot
The difference is, If the chip pops I know it's my fault and i'll toss it in the trash instead of being unethical and try to get intel to replace hardware that died by my mistake.

:confused: It's highly unethical to throw away a CPU, just because you killed it. Nothing looks better as a keychain than a C2D/C2Q.;)

Wondering, how did you get a CPU onto a keychain loop? did u drill through it? It does sound cool and I'd try this one, I have a Q6600 lying around....

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
Hmmm, ending up with a dead chip because you overvolted it? Sure, your own fault. If my CPU dies when I overclocked it, but kept it within specified thermals and did not overvolt it, Intel, or AMD can bet their ass I'm going to try and have them replace it. Whose not to say it might have died just as well when if I had run it at stock with the stock HSF ?

Concillian

Diamond Member
May 26, 2004
Originally posted by: Idontcare
Originally posted by: Gillbot
Hmm, you mean YouTube isn't the final say on a warranty?!? :laugh:

I guess that about settles it there, at least in my mind. (Which I already knew but hey!)

But it's erik, the Intel Dude. How can that not be legit? :laugh:

He does cover his ass in the first 30s though by stipulating upfront that you aren't allowed to change your HSF without voiding your warranty.

OC with stock HSF = ok, OC with after-market cooling = voided warranty.

I found that to be an odd talking point for distinguishing warranty violations during OC'ing least of all because they have no clue what HSF you used prior to sending the chip back for warrantee replacement (again, unless of course the consumer goes on record as admitting as much).

They are 100% talking about the board in that video. There is never any mention of the CPU when he's discussing warrantee. He's a "board guy" for Intel, shilling an Intel branded x48 board. Listen to the context he uses when discussing warranty. He's talking about the motherboard.

Gillbot

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
Originally posted by: MarcVenice
Hmmm, ending up with a dead chip because you overvolted it? Sure, your own fault. If my CPU dies when I overclocked it, but kept it within specified thermals and did not overvolt it, Intel, or AMD can bet their ass I'm going to try and have them replace it. Whose not to say it might have died just as well when if I had run it at stock with the stock HSF ?

Still unethical because you exceeded it's designed parameters. That's the same as saying it's a tire companies fault if your tire fails @ 80 mph even though the tire is only rated for 50 mph. Sure, you may have kept the pressure at their recommended 32psi but you still exceeded the speed rating.