Intel's response to the $79 Ryzen 5 1600?

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
I recently saw a deal on a socket 1150 motherboard, was about to pull the trigger to use to build a new system, and then decided to look up what 8th and 9th generation processors would be available for it. In the past, I've used whatever Intel had available for ~80 bucks, then upgraded with a faster used cpu 2-3 years later. 2 of my systems are Intel based, while one is AMD. All 3 are in the 4-6 year old range, so I'll admit that I've been more focused on portable Android for that time period, and not paying very much attention to desktops, since I had no intention of upgrading.

I was surprised to see that it would cost 75% more to get the same performance as a Ryzen 5 1600 from Intel, using a I5-9400F. Both processors give a CPUMark score of just over 12,000.
Both use 65 Watts of power, and both have 6 cores.

Anyone know anything about upcoming processors from Intel that might be more competitive down at a sub $100 price range? I really wanted that motherboard, but now I can't really
justify buying it.....

Attachments

• comparison.jpg
    comparison.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 58

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
As far as I have seen, Intel will have nothing competitive for at least 2 years, and then not on price.

Last edited:
Reactions: guachi and ozzy702

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
Where did you find a $79 1600?

As far as I have seen, Intel will have nothing competitive for at least 2 years, and then not on price.

This appears to be the case. Until Intel's fab situation is sorted I don't expect much out of them. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Intel pulls a Conroe out of their hat in 2021 to regain the performance lead at least in gaming.

AMD has executed fabulously on the CPU side, and as consumers, we're winning!

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Where did you find a $79 1600?
microcenter has been selling them at that price for a while now. intel doesn't and won't have an answer for it because it's close out pricing, and only commonly available from one retailer, only though b&m, and limit one per customer.

ozzy702

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2011
microcenter has been selling them at that price for a while now. intel doesn't and won't have an answer for it because it's close out pricing, and only commonly available from one retailer, only though b&m, and limit one per customer.

Ah, I don't have a microcenter anywhere nearby, that explains it. It looks like the 1600 is going for ~ $105 online.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Wow, 2 years? The passmark performance page seemed to indicate that the Ryzen 5 1600 had already been out for 2 years at this point. So you are saying that it
will take Intel 4 years from when the 1600 came out for them to mount a response? Crazy.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
It's basically a certainty that Ryzen 1000s are no longer being produced. They're simply moving old inventory at a discount. Fab space and time are precious commodities, and AMD would be using available nodes and deals to make Ryzen 2000/3000 stuff now along with Navi and a handful of stuff like the new Mac Pro GPUs and workstation stuff.

The Ryzen 5 1600 launched with a massively higher price originally, then was cut later on, then was outright replaced by Zen+. Normally old stock isn't available for an extremely long time, so when these are gone, they'll be gone for good.

I wish Intel also did this, but they seem to never close out old SKUs. They probably just melt their unsold stock lol.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
@GunsMadeAmericaFree

LGA1150? Pretty sure you will be restricted to Haswell/Haswell Refresh on those. No 8th or 9th gen chips. You want LGA1151 for those, and mind the chipset . . .

@Arkaign

How much of that is Intel, and how much of that are retailors trying to squeeze as much as they can out of people who already have a board and just need the CPU to make it work? I know AMD is more aggressive in clearing out inventory, but still . . .

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/cpu/#C=2,4&sort=price&k=24&page=1

That's a retail sampling of what's available today on LGA1150. Not pretty. eBay has a few deals (like a used 4770k for $150).

ondma

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2018
What are you talking about?? They certainly are competitive on performance right now, and actually still slightly ahead, unless one can utilize more than 8 cores. I am expecting Zen 2 to at best equal intel in performance up to 8 cores.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
What are you talking about?? They certainly are competitive on performance right now, and actually still slightly ahead, unless one can utilize more than 8 cores. I am expecting Zen 2 to at best equal intel in performance up to 8 cores.
Dream on... I will be able to prove it in 2 weeks if you don't believe all the leaks.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
It's basically a certainty that Ryzen 1000s are no longer being produced.
Zen Zeppelin dies will be manufactured until at least 2027 since the embedded line that use them has a guaranteed availability for 10 years from launch. Everything else is essentially a matter of demand and packaging.

Intel's 14nm++ is certainly superior to GloFo's 14nm/12nm. But Intel's 10nm even after missing the originally planned date by 4 years now still hasn't reached the yield state to be usable for higher frequency and cores desktop and server chips, and TSMC's 7nm (that is used for Zen 2) appears to be very competitive against that (never mind 14nm++).

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
Until just a couple of months back, the goalpost was word to word exactly the same, only the numbers '8' were all '6'.

Reactions: guachi

rbk123

Aug 22, 2006
Anyone know anything about upcoming processors from Intel that might be more competitive down at a sub $100 price range? I really wanted that motherboard, but now I can't really
justify buying it.....
Doubtful Intel will have anything at that price but keep in mind these are being closed out so, 1) grab 1 before they are gone, and 2) I wouldn't expect AMD to have one at that price once these are gone, until the next closeout of the 2600's when Zen 2 becomes mainstream.

Intel will drop CPU prices when Zen2 is out, but I highly doubt they'd still be the value that Zen 1+ CPU's (and certainly any remaining Zen 1's) will be after the Zen 2 launch.

You should pull the trigger on the 1600 as your AM4 upgrade path is pretty excellent for the foreseeable future.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
@GunsMadeAmericaFree

LGA1150? Pretty sure you will be restricted to Haswell/Haswell Refresh on those. No 8th or 9th gen chips. You want LGA1151 for those, and mind the chipset . . .

@Arkaign

How much of that is Intel, and how much of that are retailors trying to squeeze as much as they can out of people who already have a board and just need the CPU to make it work? I know AMD is more aggressive in clearing out inventory, but still . . .

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/cpu/#C=2,4&sort=price&k=24&page=1

That's a retail sampling of what's available today on LGA1150. Not pretty. eBay has a few deals (like a used 4770k for $150).

Ah, I think you are right, it must have been an 1151 board. I came across an open box/refurb deal for $42.99 or something like that a couple of days ago. I can't seem to
find it now, so it might have been one of those 1 day deals. I do remember going to the manufacturer's website, seeing that it shipped with support for 8 Gen intel chips, and a BIOS update recently gave the board support for 9th gen processors. I recall that the back of the board had dvi and displayport, but no HDMI. It also had 4 blue USB3 hookups, and 2 USB2, and I remember 6 audio hookups on the rear. Internally, it had something like 4 or 5 of the tiny pci express x1 slots, and 2 of the larger pci express x16 slots. I remember being surprised that it had this many slots for expansion.

Anyway, the deal is probably long gone at this point, and I'm unable to locate it. Given the support for 8th and 9th gen cpu's, I suppose I could have put a Celeron in there and eventually upgraded in a year or two.

Last edited:
Reactions: XiandreX

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Ah, I think you are right, it must have been an 1151 board. I came across an open box/refurb deal for $42.99 or something like that a couple of days ago. I can't seem to
find it now, so it might have been one of those 1 day deals. I do remember going to the manufacturer's website, seeing that it shipped with support for 8 Gen intel chips, and a BIOS update recently gave the board support for 9th gen processors. I recall that the back of the board had dvi and displayport, but no HDMI. It also had 4 blue USB3 hookups, and 2 USB2, and I remember 6 audio hookups on the rear. Internally, it had something like 4 or 5 of the tiny pci express x1 slots, and 2 of the larger pci express x16 slots. I remember being surprised that it had this many slots for expansion.

Anyway, the deal is probably long gone at this point, and I'm unable to locate it. Given the support for 8th and 9th gen cpu's, I suppose I could have put a Celeron in there and eventually upgraded in a year or two.
If you're talking a Newegg Open Box / Refurb deal on an ATX mobo, whether Socket AM4 or Socket 1151 300-series, if you find one for $50-60, they often sell out in a matter of minutes to hours, not days. They usually don't have a huge quantity. If it looks like something that you would like to get, you really need to "jump on it" right away. I've snagged like nearly 8 boards, I think, for AM4, some really nice ones, as well as a few cheaper ones, all ATX, for like $43-60. Stuff like Gigabyte X370 Gaming K5, etc. Decent-looking boards.

Cheaper ones with mATX boards and entry-level chipsets, might last for a day, as those are less desirable.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
If you're talking a Newegg Open Box / Refurb deal on an ATX mobo, whether Socket AM4 or Socket 1151 300-series, if you find one for $50-60, they often sell out in a matter of minutes to hours, not days. They usually don't have a huge quantity. If it looks like something that you would like to get, you really need to "jump on it" right away. I've snagged like nearly 8 boards, I think, for AM4, some really nice ones, as well as a few cheaper ones, all ATX, for like $43-60. Stuff like Gigabyte X370 Gaming K5, etc. Decent-looking boards.

Cheaper ones with mATX boards and entry-level chipsets, might last for a day, as those are less desirable.

Considering that there are thousands of folks out there online looking for deals, I guess I shouldn't be surprised. Most of the motherboards I've purchased were open box items on clearance at Micro Center, where I have typically found them for $30 to $40. Not bad, given that they still have full manufacturer warranty.

ubern00b

Jun 11, 2019
Same here in the UK where we normally overpay compared to the US, you can buy a new Ryzen 1600 for £100, there's literally nothing in Intel's lineup that comes close to that price/perf, you can get a 4c/4t 9100 for £30 more :screamcat: or if you want comparable performance(ish) the next closest would be the i5 9400f (6c/6t 2.9Ghz/4.1 boost) for £150, just a 50% increase.. for a real 6c processor you'll have to stump up 100% more for a i5 8400/i5 9400

chrisjames61

Dec 31, 2013

The R5 1600 is selling for a little over $100 at Newegg etc.... Stil a real cheap price for what you get.

Flayed

Nov 30, 2016
I just looked at one major UK online retailer the r5 1600 is £139 and the i3 9100F is £98. The Intel part is faster for single thread but gets destroyed for multi thread.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
I just looked at one major UK online retailer the r5 1600 is £139 and the i3 9100F is £98. The Intel part is faster for single thread but gets destroyed for multi thread.
the i3 gets useless very fast unless you're the type who closes even windows service processes when starting a game, not just any other running programs

Reactions: ubern00b

ubern00b

Jun 11, 2019
£105 from amazon, £119 for the 1600x. And yes, the 9100f has slightly better single thread perfromance which usually means better gaming however it still gets beaten down a lot by the 1600 in gaming cause lots of games tend to utilise 4 cores so then the 9100f get's maxed out at 100% and starts to lose frames against the 1600 due to the 6c/12t and still having plenty of headroom left