Question Intel's festive response to discrete GPU rumors

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
He's in Seattle, he probably spiked his eggnog with weed. /s
Ever since Raja went to intel, one thing comes to my mind every single marketing snippet I ser or hear from them: POOR VOLTA. Like there's no way he didn't know about that easter egg in the make some noise video. I think intel hired him because they saw a mastermind in him, who could make AMD supporters believe for years that the cards will be awesome. And not just till they launched - even after that the AMD supporters were believing and waiting patiently for months. For DX12, for asyinc computing in games, for new drivers, for DSBR, for shader intrinsics etc.
He really is the perfect fit for the company.
I cheer for the underdog as much as the next guy, but I bought an 1070 for €400 3 years ago because back then the only competing card from AMD was the more expensive, 2 times more power hungry and still slower fury X.

• Haha
Reactions: maddie

DeathReborn

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2005
The only thing that comes to mind in relation to Intel + Marketing is the old Tactical Facepalm meme.

Attachments

• tactical_facepalm.jpg
    tactical_facepalm.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 35

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Poor Volta is in my opinion a good piece of marketing that only looked bad because AMD couldn’t deliver with their cards. If Vega were good people would be remembering that campaign twenty years from now.

Raja was never good at presenting though. It always felt horribly unpolished when he was running events. Even though he didn't exactly have great products to push, he could have made a Titan killer at $500 feel uninteresting.

lobz

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2017
Poor Volta is in my opinion a good piece of marketing that only looked bad because AMD couldn’t deliver with their cards. If Vega were good people would be remembering that campaign twenty years from now.

Raja was never good at presenting though. It always felt horribly unpolished when he was running events. Even though he didn't exactly have great products to push, he could have made a Titan killer at $500 feel uninteresting.
When the make some noise video came out, they knew 100000% that they didn't even have a chance against the top pascal, let alone volta... it was simply a disgusting piece of marketing. It was only good for creating false hope, a lot of it.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Make some noise was just a clever way of telling consumers that their chips ran hot and that you’d need to crank up the fan on your blower a lot.

Jokes aside, no marketing campaign looks good when the product can’t match expectations. The marketing team probably doesn’t even know where the performance will end up. They just get people hyped up. It’s marketing.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Make some noise was just a clever way of telling consumers that their chips ran hot and that you’d need to crank up the fan on your blower a lot.

Jokes aside, no marketing campaign looks good when the product can’t match expectations. The marketing team probably doesn’t even know where the performance will end up. They just get people hyped up. It’s marketing.
Are you serious here? The department head and marketing don't talk?

The simple truth is that Raja lied. As to exactly why, we don't know.

Reactions: lobz

RetroZombie

Nov 5, 2019

Some people from graphics is leaving the company it was reported by someone on twitter I think.

But lets assume that intel actually have a very good product, that excels at something compared to what amd/nvidia offer right now, for example very low power consumption, new cool feature(s), great price, something...

Right now they don't have capacity to manufacture their own cpu, not even chipsets, memory, ....
How will they manufacture gpu's that even eat more foundry space and at much lower margins than any of the other businesses.

I have a feeling that what ever comes out doesn't get out of the enterprise/datacenter, best case for us consumers will see it on some premium laptop addon.

maddie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2010
Some people from graphics is leaving the company it was reported by someone on twitter I think.

But lets assume that intel actually have a very good product, that excels at something compared to what amd/nvidia offer right now, for example very low power consumption, new cool feature(s), great price, something...

Right now they don't have capacity to manufacture their own cpu, not even chipsets, memory, ....
How will they manufacture gpu's that even eat more foundry space and at much lower margins than any of the other businesses.

I have a feeling that what ever comes out doesn't get out of the enterprise/datacenter, best case for us consumers will see it on some premium laptop addon.
GPUs can be designed to allow many more silicon defects than CPUs and still have close to maximum performance. I can see 10 nm working here, at least better than in CPUs.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011

No, I’m being facetious, but marketing’s job is to sell products even if they aren’t the best. AMD clearly didn’t hit their targets with Vega and a lot of the magic driver special sauce never materialized or panned out.

I just think that AMD occasionally has some good marketing. It’s just a shame that they haven’t had a truly great product to go along with it.

However Raja himself is a buzzkill. I remember watching the Capsaicin event and thinking that Raja was the type of guy that could make a playmate orgy sound boring.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
GPUs can be designed to allow many more silicon defects than CPUs and still have close to maximum performance. I can see 10 nm working here, at least better than in CPUs.

I wonder about that given that the early 10nm cpus that did ship all had their iGPUs disabled. And if 10nm just has a high defect rate, I wonder why they didn't release something simpler like chipsets to take pressure off 14nm. Instead they canceled the 10nm chipset plans and reintroduced 22nm chipsets.