Intel X25-M G2 after Sleep not recognized by BIOS anymore

Abel

Aug 2, 2010
I have an SSD drive, single, no RAID, type Intel X25-M G2 160GB that isn't recognized anymore by the BIOS.

This morning, logging in after a wakeup of Windows failed with a general error that forced Windows to reboot. After reboot, it couldn't find the bootloader of Windows 7 (Vista on same machine, other drive loaded correctly, but the disk didn't appear in Disk Manager anymore). I noticed slow loading of the SAS SBA loading and the POST message with all drives didn't include the Intel drive anymore.

Changing cables, changing locations, moved from normal SATA to SAS controller and back and even tried the Intel X25-M in my laptop. All failed. The BIOS showed the drive wasn't there.

The data on the drive is important and the backup, while only week old, is too old. I'm willing to pay for data recovery but have a hard time dissecting the good from the bad companies, and also still hope it is not needed. Here and there I found it mentioned that after a while the drive might suddenly work again. Some other places mentioned that it is sometimes possible to connect to the drive bypassing the BIOS. I'd love to, but need a hand on how I could try that. Something with LiveCD and the Intel drivers, but where do I start? Or is it useless to try and does the BIOS failing in seeing the drive simply mean the drive's dead?

I have a Dell T7400 with up-to-date BIOS revision A06.

Last edited: