Intel to supply Apple's modems

jhu

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Or so it is rumored.

The story says Apple will begin using Intel’s new 7360 LTE modem processor in place of a Qualcomm chip, which has been there for a few generations.

Intel's modem chip business comes from Infineon, a German chipmaker Intel acquired in 2010. It would be something of a homecoming for Intel, as the first three iPhone models used Infineon 3G modems. Apple dropped the Infineons in favor of Qualcomm after Intel purchased Infineon.

Bet they're still ARM-based.

Last edited:

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
That's interesting. I was going to say, "gee, why is Apple letting Intel get so close to their phone/tablet ecosystem", but it's just a modem and it gives Apple bargaining leverage. So, it sort of makes sense.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
That's interesting. I was going to say, "gee, why is Apple letting Intel get so close to their phone/tablet ecosystem", but it's just a modem and it gives Apple bargaining leverage. So, it sort of makes sense.

Supply chain risk management. Good companies talk about it, great companies do it.

Mar 10, 2006
Supply chain risk management. Good companies talk about it, great companies do it.

Apple's supply chain strategy is pretty phenomenal. Everyone is groveling to supply Apple parts, and they're willing to eat dirt for margins just to win the business.

mrmt

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2012
Apple's supply chain strategy is pretty phenomenal. Everyone is groveling to supply Apple parts, and they're willing to eat dirt for margins just to win the business.

Given the sore state of Intel mobile business, if Intel won't pay contrarevenue to Apple it is already a win.

witeken

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2013
Given the sore state of Intel mobile business, if Intel won't pay contrarevenue to Apple it is already a win.

People still don't understand contra-revenue?

If you don't understand what something is, then don't comment on it. It's like those people denying evolution.

Core M doesn't have contra-revenue, SoFIA doesn't, Intel's modems don't. And neither does HSW-U Celeron, which is found in $250 Chromebooks.

mrmt

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2012
People still don't understand contra-revenue?

If you don't understand what something is, then don't comment on it. It's like those people denying evolution.

Core M doesn't have contra-revenue, SoFIA doesn't, Intel's modems don't. And neither does HSW-U Celeron, which is found in $250 Chromebooks.

I'm just pointing out that it's good to see Intel actually fielding competitive mobile products, and even with low margins it is a win for Intel.

No need to question my knowledge about Intel contrarevenue. I know what I'm talking about. Core M, Sofia 3G and others won't make a dent in Qualcomm sales. Sofia 4G and the LTE modem will.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004

This.

I don't think you can underestimate the importance of this agreement between Apple and Intel.

Much of Qualcomm's success on the SoC front has been directly due to their modems. Often, the OEM can just get Qualcomm's latest whole ARM solution vs. just the modem for a much more palatable price. Intel partnering with other companies to incorporate their modems into other x86 or ARM choices is a huge competitive benefit to the market and you likely start seeing a lot more differentiation on SoC choices here.

I know 'competition drives innovation' is really spewed way too much, but Intel making compelling modems is great for the industry IMHO. It will be interesting to see how Qualcomm responds. Their SKUs following the fantastic Snapdragon 800 have been pretty lackluster.

lefty2

May 15, 2013
According to an Eetimes article there *is* contra revenue involved in the deal:
Intel would offer Apple their modem for close to cost, just to get the socket and the cred that would go with it. And that would be enough volume to finally make it reasonable to equip Intel's newest, but empty, fab in Chandler, AZ with a low-power CMOS process (rather than use TSMC as they now do for their modems).
http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1326025&

witeken

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2013
I'm just pointing out that it's good to see Intel actually fielding competitive mobile products, and even with low margins it is a win for Intel.

No need to question my knowledge about Intel contrarevenue. I know what I'm talking about. Core M, Sofia 3G and others won't make a dent in Qualcomm sales. Sofia 4G and the LTE modem will.

Sorry for my misunderstanding of your comment.

erunion

Jan 20, 2013
Oh, I didn't know that the financial details of this not-even-official-yet arrangement were known.

Also, the modem that is reportedly going into the next iPhone is built at TSMC. It won't be until XMM 7460 that Intel moves that modem in-house.

It was a hypothetical, the interviewee said that would be the case IF the rumor was true.

We've seen a lot of intel/apple rumors lately. they've all been bogus so far; like apple rumors tend to be.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say Intel modems wont be in the iPhone in 2015.

Mar 10, 2006
If you sell at manufacture cost price you always lose money

The word used was "near" not "at".

Anyway, Strauss in this case was giving a hypothetical -- he wasn't saying that this is what is actually going on (if this deal is even real).