News Intel GPUs - Intel launches A580

Page 95 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Aapje

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2022

WTH is that??? So they won't support their dGPUs on their own pre-10th gen CPUs???

Their GPUs must be taking a serious nosedive without resizable bar support. They can forget about dumping their GPUs in poor countries.

This is why their apparent strategy to dump most of them in laptops make sense. Those have newer processors.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Remember the vitriol for the 6500XT? Sounds like this might be just as worthy.

Without, you know, what passes for reasonably solid drivers these days ;)

No, this is way worse.

Right now from initial reports it appears the Intel A380 is a $600 USD card equivalent to a rx6400. The rx6400 is at $160 USD card.

The rx6500xt at least had a purpose on release, it was the only purchasable card in its market segment at the time, and in PCIe4 systems it had the virtue of being ok.

At a $600 USD price point, the A380 is going straight up against the rtx3070 and the rx6750xt. Both of which have working drivers and appear to have 2.5x performance on the A380.

Right now, with the available and possibly incorrect information, this appears to be complete madness on Intel's part. Ripping off the Chinese buyer and destroying the companies reputation level of madness.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
Where are you guys getting that pricing? Ian had said it was cheaper than the RX 6400 on Twitter.

Getting China's VAT wrong seems to be popular lately. It's 13% since 2019.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
Where are you guys getting that pricing? Ian had said it was cheaper than the RX 6400 on Twitter.
They went with pricing in the headline of the VIdeocardz article and few read the entire article down to the last sentence:
There are no other offers with A380 currently available, which means there is no other way to purchase A380 at 1030 RMB (the official MSRP in China).

Intel messing up a GPU launch should surprise nobody, though maybe people should stop ingesting whatever VCZ throws at them for page views. Nah, just kidding, $600 MSRP go wooooooooooooooo....

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012

Because there is a placeholder price from one card in one shop some stupid people came to the conclusion this is the real price which is representative for the entire A380 and Alchemist series. And by the way the shop removed the offering, it's not even worth debating.

Reactions: Leeea

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
There is a chinese test from the Gunnir: https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1wY4y137D8?spm_id_from=333.337.search-card.all.click

It's horribly slow in this test if this is representative. He also made a power test with GPUz and some other game overlay....oddly low GPU temperature and board power draw: ~53-59C and ~41W in the game or ~22W in Furmark.

109fkdm.png

11hejgn.png

No idea if these tools are accurate for Alchemist already, if they are something is wrong, or how it it so low? The Gunnir has a board power of 92W. GPU clock speed of 2450 Mhz also makes no sense with such a low power unless it's running with disabled EUs. Could be inaccurate as well though.

Does anyone know what means A380 IU and A380 AU? IU runs a lot faster. AMD CPU and Intel CPU maybe?

CPU:R5 5600X/i5 12400F

Feb 4, 2009
Meh, I’m still on team intel, even if they are unexciting. Second gen will be better and third gen will be even better.
As I’ve said we desperately need a third player in the discrete card arena.

Reactions: Leeea and psolord

gdansk

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2011
Meh, I’m still on team intel, even if they are unexciting. Second gen will be better and third gen will be even better.
As I’ve said we desperately need a third player in the discrete card arena.
It doesn't matter what team you say you're on.
At some point you'll have to buy it. And with improved availability of Ampere and RDNA2 it is possible the only good reason to buy a A380 is its media block.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Embargo lifts tomorrow according to a twitter leaker.

Update: @mikk Yes according to a translated comment, he wonders if older Intel platforms will be slower as it is on AMD systems.

This is a serious issue. People are going to wonder if they'll "cripple" it on AMD systems, or they are planning on "forcing" old users on new platforms.

Last edited:

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
I have an RX 470 8GB for myself. Two systems in the sig are the specs. A <$150 card means even 10th Gen system may be too old. A single minor feature making that big of a difference is a big problem. According to that chart that feature is responsible for the card going from being worth $130 to $60.

There will also be people wondering if they are going to cripple non-Intel systems considering how it performs.

I am going to say this because I am of a few that reserves judgment until the last moment. Considering how quiet Intel has been, they know this as well. It's a disaster!

Jul 27, 2020
This is a serious issue. People are going to wonder if they'll "cripple" it on AMD systems, or they are planning on "forcing" old users on new platforms.
I don't think Intel cares about that. Remember Raja's history with AMD? He probably doesn't give a damn about his babies running on AMD platform. Intel thinks the future is their CPU and GPU, both in laptops and desktops. At least, that's why they seem to be making Raja very comfy in his job. The GPU is slow? Oh it's not the hardware. Blame the driver people! Raja can do no wrong!