News Intel GPUs - Intel launches A580

Page 94 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012

The A730M device only has a Singlechannel RAM? I believe this will cost a lot of performance in certain games even on a mobile dGPU, in particular on CPU limited games like Counterstrike. This can't be ideal.

• Wow
Reactions: Leeea and psolord

gdansk

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2011

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Sadly nothing new for Xe. Certain games get optimized and performance improves dramatically. Which implies that the benchmarks are already optimized?

Wasn't most of the problems with A350/A370M have to do with Intel DTT being on?

I don't think the differences will be so large that it'll be in the range of 50%+ like the tests imply. It certainly isn't the case for Iris Xe. Like mikk is saying one system is using single channel memory which will impact CPU bound scenarios by 10-20%.

DTT, if anything like Intel drivers of the past prioritize CPU power over GPU power which will hurt games like Counterstrike, in addition to the other issues.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
All of the tested A730M devices from Mechanike are 16GB singlechannel. It's impossible to do a valid comparison against other dGPUs because of this. DTT on/off and power consumption still unknown. They have without a doubt driver issues but it's impossible to say how bad it is with crippled tests like this.

Karnak

Jan 5, 2017
Not only on raytracing performance. Their comparison vs. 6400 is only "25% better perf/Yuan", not even the pure performance advantage they might have (VCZ got that one wrong).

And they're comparing A380 MSRP vs. 6400 retail pricing which seems odd too.

Karnak

Jan 5, 2017
Sure, but using the MSRP for their own GPU but retail pricing for the competition for a "xy better perf/Yuan" statement doesn't seem right to me and is kind of misleading.

Or is the A380 available at MSRP?

Jul 27, 2020
Sure, but using the MSRP for their own GPU but retail pricing for the competition for a "xy better perf/Yuan" statement doesn't seem right to me and is kind of misleading.
That word is synonymous with Intel for the past few years now. They even have king of misdirection, Raja Koduri, leading their GPU effort. I think one of their interview questions seems to be, "How will you communicate product delays?" and those with the best answers get hired.

Insert_Nickname

Diamond Member
May 6, 2012
Intel is totally silent on raytracing performance. My pessimism is flaring up.

This is a 6400-level card. Even the 6500XT can barely do any ray tracing worth mentioning. It's a checkbox feature, rather then a practical feature. Minimum viable for actual gaming would be the 6600.

I wouldn't be too pessimistic until we see the higher tier cards. But I don't expect high performance either.

Reactions: Leeea and gdansk

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
Maybe it performs well in the gaming titles Chinese gamers are most active in. "25% better perf/Yuan" would appeal to cash strapped gamers.

Gunnir Launches Arc A380 Photon 6GB OC GPU | Tom's Hardware (tomshardware.com)

Hope TPU or Techspot does a 40-50 games benchmark review soon.

From what I have seen to me it seems Intel struggles with driver overhead, they look poor in high fps games. This is a big issue for faster dGPUs. On iGPUs the fps are usually low which makes it more GPU bound. Someone needs to check it out. It's like they want to hide something with the staggered approach and in particular China exclusive release approach because it gives them more time. Intel is very silent about Alchemist recently which is not a good sign to be honest, somehow Intels hype declined in the last weeks and months. They could easily provide A380 test samples to some reviewer even if it's chinese only, apparently they don't want. If it's driver related rather than architecture related there is hope for improvements, it's worse if it's more architecture related.

Leeea

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2020
Not only on raytracing performance. Their comparison vs. 6400 is only "25% better perf/Yuan", not even the pure performance advantage they might have (VCZ got that one wrong).

And they're comparing A380 MSRP vs. 6400 retail pricing which seems odd too.

If Intel's new GPU is being compared it to the rather anemic rx6400, that does not fill a person with warm and fuzzy.

A rx6400 is roughly "equivalent" to AMDs flagship 2011 card, the HD7990. AMDs 2013 flagship, the r9 290x would have 40% greater performance.

If this is all Intel's new flagship can do, they are at where AMD was a decade ago.

No amount of driver tweaking is going to fix that.

Last edited:

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Wow, I forgot this thread existed. Products that get me more excited than an Intel "GPU":

Cup holders for skateboards
Erasers for erasing streaks left behind by erasers.
Rubber nails
Face mask made from asbestos
Carpet toilet seat covers
Chain mail socks...

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
If Intel's new GPU is being compared it to the rather anemic rx6400, that does not fill a person with warm and fuzzy.

A rx6400 is roughly "equivalent" to AMDs flagship 2011 card, the HD7990. AMDs 2013 flagship, the r9 290x would have 40% greater performance.

If this is all Intel's new flagship can do, they are at where AMD was a decade ago.

No amount of driver tweaking is going to fix that.

Calling the slowest chip a flagship is something :tonguewink:

The point is this card should be closer to RX 6500/GTX 1650 Super from the specs rather than RX6400. And this could mean the real flagship is closer to RTX 3060(Ti) rather than RTX 3070(Ti). I hope it's not as bad though.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Leeea
Jul 27, 2020
And this could mean the real flagship is closer to RTX 3060(Ti) rather than RTX 3070(Ti). I hope it's not as bad though.
Even delivering 3060 Ti level of bug-free performance with their flagship would still be a miracle in my books. I think maybe they will include a list of games in every box stating that these are the games their cards have been tested with to work flawlessly and hundreds more are "coming soon", whatever soon means within their walls.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Leeea