intel ssd optimizer question

razaice

Apr 6, 2011
From what I've read, intel ssd optimizer basically just performs TRIM on your ssd on a schedule. If I'm using windows 7, is it unnescessary to schedule it since windows 7 already has an automatic TRIM?

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
Yes, that's the same conclusion I came to as well reading through the Toolbox's instructions.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Intel suggests running it once a week which takes about a couple seconds.

Not sure if it does increase performance but it does seem to effect the Win7 WEI score for some reason. You can test this for yourself and see. After Win7 install and running the optimizer do WEI and either do a screen capture or write down the score of your ssd. Don't run the optimizer for a couple of weeks then refresh the score. Most likely the ssd score will drop somewhat. Then run the optimizer again and refresh the score and it should climb back up....Well at least that's what it does on mine so I just try to remeber to use the optimizer once a week or so just in case.

Here is a link to the intel pdf white papers on the SSD Optimizer that explains exactly what it does and how. After looking at it I guess it makes sense why the WEI score would degrade then rise once the optimizer is run.

http://download.intel.com/design/flash/nand/mainstream/Intel_SSD_Optimizer_White_Paper.pdf

After looking at the pdf again it looks like it can just be scheduled to run without any intervention. Just set mine up to run every Friday at 7am

Last edited:

razaice

Apr 6, 2011
Intel suggests running it once a week which takes about a couple seconds.

Not sure if it does increase performance but it does seem to effect the Win7 WEI score for some reason. You can test this for yourself and see. After Win7 install and running the optimizer do WEI and either do a screen capture or write down the score of your ssd. Don't run the optimizer for a couple of weeks then refresh the score. Most likely the ssd score will drop somewhat. Then run the optimizer again and refresh the score and it should climb back up....Well at least that's what it does on mine so I just try to remeber to use the optimizer once a week or so just in case.

Here is a link to the intel pdf white papers on the SSD Optimizer that explains exactly what it does and how. After looking at it I guess it makes sense why the WEI score would degrade then rise once the optimizer is run.

http://download.intel.com/design/flash/nand/mainstream/Intel_SSD_Optimizer_White_Paper.pdf

After looking at the pdf again it looks like it can just be scheduled to run without any intervention. Just set mine up to run every Friday at 7am
That link says the Intel ssd Toolbox is not required if you have windows 7 and are using the Microsoft AHCI driver. I had AHCI turned on in my bios when i installed windows 7 on my ssd, so would that mean I have the microsoft AHCI driver?

jjmIII

Diamond Member
Mar 13, 2001
I had AHCI turned on in my bios when i installed windows 7 on my ssd, so would that mean I have the microsoft AHCI driver?

yes

I still run it on a weekly schedule. As stated above, it only runs a few seconds.

thewhat

May 9, 2010
Running the Intel SSD Optimizer definitely improves performance, even if TRIM is active in Windows 7.

You can see this here, for example:
2eehdva.png

First partition (about 70GB) has been run through the Optimizer, while the second one hasn't. (And this is not after a lot of use, it's a brand new SSD after only a few tests/benchmarks.)

This is a bit disappointing because I don't like to babysit my drives and I'm not a fan of Intel SSD Toolbox either, because it's scheduling tasks at startup and always trying to go online without asking me anything.