Question Intel SSD apparently wonked out

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 17, 2019
Was working fine, then it wasn't. No access by any of the usual means. Disk Management shows a size of 8Mb instead of 160Gb

Any ideas on how to regain access?

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski
Nov 17, 2019
Connected one of the new SSDs with a USB enclosure.

Installed and ran Magician

It showed my Intel C:, Intel E: and external WD F: drives, but the fourth drive just showed as USB storage, no ID as the Samung SSD.

Installed the Migration utility and set it to run from C to the new drive which showed and ID'd properly as the Samsung.

Watched it start and begin to progress, then went outside to mow.

Came back a little under two hours later and the notebook had shutdown. I knew it was going to do that based on the migration utility dialog box (wish there was an option for it not to).

Unplugged the USB drive and Hit the power button.

Splash screen came up and stalled showing F2 and F12 options. I knew the manual said it would do that, but I expected it to proceed past there since I had not yet installed the new drive. It didn't.

After hitting F12 to get into the boot menu, there was a loooonnnggg delay before it finally appeared.

Selected my old Intel C drive and it went off to boot normally.

Let it fully boot, then shut down and restarted. Booted normally the second time.

Reconnected the USB drive with the new SSD.

AutoPlay started and showed the new drive to be G (Same name as my C drive):

Opened Magician and it only shows the three old drives, Intel C:, Intel E: and external WD F:. The new Samsung SSD does not display at all.

Does any of this sound normal?

Nov 17, 2019
Running on both new drives. Had a couple of glitches, but nothing major.

Magician now shows both and benchmarked them.

The 'good' C and E Intels are now in the duplicate notebook, so I have a hot backup as of this date.

Some of the discussion I found on the 8Mb bug say you can wipe/format the drive and be able to use it again. I may try that and update the firmware if possible to use it as a spare EHD.

Reactions: blckgrffn
Nov 17, 2019
Why won't Magician load?

I've hit it three times now, twice from the Start Menu and once from the desktop icon. Each time, it gives me the User Account Control dialog box and I click Yes, but nothing happens after that. It shows in both Task Manager and Resource Monitor.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Do you have multiple monitors? Maybe it's launching off-screen?

Hold down ALT, tap TAB until the window is highlighted (if open and present in the list of active windows), let go of ALT, hit ALT+SPACE, let go, tap "M", then press and hold the arrow keys on the keyboard until the window slides on-screen, then tap "ENTER". Then proceed as normal.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Why won't Magician load?

I've hit it three times now, twice from the Start Menu and once from the desktop icon. Each time, it gives me the User Account Control dialog box and I click Yes, but nothing happens after that. It shows in both Task Manager and Resource Monitor.
Have you tried doing a full restart? Also, please list your full system specs, and if possible if you are in AHCI, RAID, or IDE mode.

Nov 17, 2019
It opened fine when I first installed it and installed the two SSDs. Both showed the temps and specs and were able to be benchmarked.

This is a 10 year old Gateway NV7921u with 8Gb RAM.

I have not restarted for a few days and probably won't for a few more. I usually do it every 10 days or so, otherwise it runs 24 hours, 7 days as it plays a long list of music.

I can't help but wonder if it's running in the background somewhere and just won't pull into focus.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Yes as I suspected, Windows just needed a restart. I have had that happen sometimes before with certain programs, Magician included.

Nov 17, 2019
On boot up, the program starts, the icon appears in the taskbar and is accessible by clicking that icon.

But somewhere during the week to ten days between boots, it goes away. I never notice exactly when, but once it does, I can't get into the program again.

Not sure it really matters, just an oddity I guess. Might even switch the 'start on boot' flag in settings off.