Intel Speed Shift Technology... MIA?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Free42

Jun 22, 2016
Post a link where Intel said there is any power savings. Anandtech said that Intel stated Speed Shift does not impact battery life very much, one way or the other
IDF 15
That must be the first time I've heard of SST and its impact on energy efficiency. However what Intel describes on slides / in theory and if actual devices in daily life have a longer battery life are two completely different things.

unclewebb

May 28, 2012
ThrottleStop 8.40
https://www.sendspace.com/file/p6wkzr

xll5H9O.png

The latest version of ThrottleStop will show you SST in green on the main screen just like HWiNFO shows when Speed Shift is enabled. In ThrottleStop, this will be blank if SST is not enabled. Speed Shift can be enabled in any version of Windows.

If your bios does not enable Speed Shift and you would like to use this on your Intel 6th or 7th Gen processor, click on the ThrottleStop - TPL button. This will open the Turbo Power Limits window and then have a look at the Miscellaneous section.

zq9XpGX.png

Check the Speed Shift Technology option, click on OK and Speed Shift will be enabled. You can also adjust the Speed Shift Minimum and Maximum multiplier values in there. If you do not like your CPU dropping down to the 8 multiplier when it is idle and you would prefer that it goes no lower than 16, simple, just set the Minimum multiplier to 16.

If your motherboard bios does not support Speed Shift then when you use stand by mode or hibernate mode, Speed Shift will likely be disabled when you resume. If you want to make sure that Speed Shift is always enabled when you resume then leave ThrottleStop running and select the option, Enable Speed Shift when ThrottleStop starts. This will automatically enable Speed Shift anytime that ThrottleStop starts or when you resume from stand by or hibernate mode.

If you think leaving ThrottleStop running 24/7 is going to consume too many CPU cycles then use the new Stop Monitoring feature and it will be very efficient. Just check the Task Bar option on the main screen and leave it minimized on the task bar. You could also use the Windows Task Scheduler and have ThrottleStop start up in the background so it could manage your CPU with zero user interaction and it would not need to be accessible from the task bar if that is what you like. Here is a guide on ThrottleStop start up options.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/the-throttlestop-guide.531329/page-514

On the main screen, ThrottleStop gives you access to the Energy Performance Preference (EPP) setting. This allows a user to fine tune Speed Shift. The latest version of ThrottleStop also allows you to use different EPP settings for each profile so you can easily switch back and forth between profiles.

0 - Maximum Performance
128 - Similar to the Windows Balanced power profile. Fast CPU when loaded, slow CPU when idle.
255 - Slow and sluggish mode. It will take a significant load to get your CPU to move beyond the minimum multiplier.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
If you disable SST, I wonder if you will be able to notice any difference?
I wonder what that CPU C-States Auto setting does, on my MSI Z170 board it meant OFF :)

The biggest difference to be seen is in a mobile like environment, with OS power profile slanted towards power saving, low CPU idle frequency and C-States enabled. Every one of these settings affects performance by either limiting max frequency during a task or adding latency towards CPU ramping up to max frequency.
  • For example if a CPU went into a sleep state while idling at 800Mhz, when a task arrives it will first have to wake up from sleep to the last operating speed of 800Mhz, then ramp up clocks based on preferred OS power management strategy (which may or may not decide to increase clocks)
  • By contrast a desktop system with C-States disabled will only have to ramp up clocks, and may also be configured with a more aggressive power profile. This eliminates quite a bit of latency and tends to bring clocks to max even for light loads, since heat/power penalty is of little consequence.

chinobino

Aug 19, 2010
Gigabyte have released a new Beta BIOS for my board with the new GUI (similar to Conroe's post above) that has the speedshift option available and Kabylake support.

It's good to see Gigabyte stepping up and adding this feature to Z170 boards with the new F20 BIOS.

Conroe

Mar 12, 2006
If you disable SST, I wonder if you will be able to notice any difference?
Well this board turbos better than my H170 did. It would not hit four core turbo before first fiddling around with single or dual mode first. This one is seldom even at non turbo speeds. Benchmarks are better, CBr11.5 went from 6.18 to 6.6.

Nemo1985

Jul 29, 2017
Hello, I have an As Rock Z170 Extreme4, on my windows 10 I haveSpeed Shift Technology disabled, is there any way to enable on my mb? I tried Throttle Step but with no results.Thank you in advance.

wingman04

May 12, 2016
Hello, I have an As Rock Z170 Extreme4, on my windows 10 I haveSpeed Shift Technology disabled, is there any way to enable on my mb? I tried Throttle Step but with no results.Thank you in advance.
Get the newest bios maybe it will have that option.

wingman04

May 12, 2016
So I don't get what you mean, unlucky I have an asrock with the last official bios but no option on uefi and hwinfo says it's disabled.
If the Bios does not have the speed shift option then your out of luck. My new Bios has speed shift and it is working.