Intel SoFIA & Broxton Killed

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 10, 2006
Let's throw out the connector that people have no problems with and replace with an expensive digital connection requiring the DAC to be in the headphones, awesome idea. D:

Apple is probably going to do it with iPhone 7/Lightning port.

Embrace the future, brah! :biggrin:

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004

If the rumors hold true, this got to be the first time Apple did something terminally retarded to an iDevice. Bonus points for negating the appeal of their very own class-leading internal phone DACs.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011

So now we are going to have 3 competing headphone standards, Lightning, USB-C, and 3.5mm jack D: I'm sticking with my current phone for a few years, until they give up on this nonsense.

EDIT: 4, if you count Bluetooth. Unless Apple comes up with their own proprietary wireless headphone protocol...

Mar 10, 2006
So now we are going to have 3 competing headphone standards, Lightning, USB-C, and 3.5mm jack D: I'm sticking with my current phone for a few years, until they give up on this nonsense.

EDIT: 4, if you count Bluetooth. Unless Apple comes up with their own proprietary wireless headphone protocol...

I think Apple will push Lighting for wired and Bluetooth for wireless.

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Nope. People dont have money.

Let me give you a perspective.
US companies now got lower profits 3 quarters in a row. And they lost revenue 5 quarters in a row. Way beyond PCs, tablets and phones.

Not to mention the masses have been sold the story they need $500-1000 worth of new smartphone every two years even though you can get a $30 handset that does 100% of what 90% of those people use it for.

It's not rocket science that when you pull $1000+ for mobile service and devices out of the average users pocket year over year that there is not a lot left over for tablets, laptop, or desktops...

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004

The industry knows this all too well, standards that are timelessly well engineered like 3.5mm aren't as milkable as changing them all the time.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
Problem with USB anything speakers/headphones is that USB devices typically have their own DAC. They don't use the (usually better) one on the device itself. If someone could change that then it wouldn't be so bad.

Aug 11, 2008
Not to mention the masses have been sold the story they need $500-1000 worth of new smartphone every two years even though you can get a $30 handset that does 100% of what 90% of those people use it for.

It's not rocket science that when you pull $1000+ for mobile service and devices out of the average users pocket year over year that there is not a lot left over for tablets, laptop, or desktops...

Yea, I am stubbornly resisting a smartphone. Heresy I know, but I do have a cheap prepaid mobile flip phone. Only thing I miss really, is the gps function if I happen to be in an unfamiliar area. Otherwise, I love to be on the internet, as my post count shows. But I dont really feel the need to be connected continuously. (I actually hate facebook, twitter, etc.)

I just dont want to get involved with the expense of a contract. I am thinking about upgrading to a no contract smartphone, but there are so many phones and I dont want to get a bad one or a carrier that has lousy coverage.