Intel Skylake / Kaby Lake

Page 435 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TheF34RChannel

May 18, 2017
Is there any confirmation on s1151 v2 besides the Korean source?

None whatsoever; I've been keeping an eye out and this is the first I've heard of it. Makes sense though; Intel wants to sell chipsets, because money, and board makers boards, because money.

Intel X299 HEDT Platform Details

Intel-X299-HEDT-Skylake-X-Kaby-Lake-X-CPU-Platform.jpeg

http://wccftech.com/intel-x299-skylake-x-kaby-lake-x-z370-coffee-lake-s-z390-cannonlake-cpu-details/

"The main difference is that while X99 allowed for 2 DIMMs per channel, X299 supports only single DIMM per channel. So while you were able to use all eight DIMM slots on the X99 boards, the same cannot be done with X299. One must question why are there still eight DIMM slots on the board if the platform only allows for four DIMM installation. Maybe the slide showcased by Intel is an error or there’s something we have yet to know about the platform itself."

That surely cannot be right.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drazick

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
I told you to expect something special! Honestly feel bad for everyone that bought a Broadwell-E system in the last few days. Intel decided to use the MCC die when they first unveiled the 12C SKU and we already knew this die packs 18C, but I was shocked when I found out about this. Freaking 14C/16/18C options for desktop! :)

There's one detail missing (let's save some surprises for the event tomorrow), but I can say this: prices are really fair for your typical Intel

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Nice. I wonder how they will price these. 18-core will probably be over 2k...
Dont know. 4x 1800x in an 32c Epyc is 2k and we know it can even fit in a 180w tdp. Where is this going to end? Who is the customers for that? Its not a battle i would enter with huge monolitic dies. So probably i guess you are right and price it for the few. But it looks like a landslide change in strategy. Interesting times.
At last after 6 years standstill something happens.
A reminder to all of how crazy important compettition is.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Really amazing how Intel was able to keep this secret until (almost) Computex. Everyone I talked to just a few days ago reiterated the previous leak, even Intel in the presentation below.

8th Gen Intel Core 'Coffee Lake-S' + Z370 Chipset to Launch in August/September (4C and 6C 'K' Options)

a6118c7bd8ecd37035eee5e996127a08.jpg

Rest of the lineup, including a dual-core variant (native 2C KBL-S die? cut down 4C CFL-S die?), will follow in Q1-2018.

Reactions: Drazick and Bouowmx

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
There's one detail missing (let's save some surprises for the event tomorrow), but I can say this: prices are really fair for your typical Intel

Since we can assume that intel won't lower prices of their current kaby-lake lineup, then we already have a pretty good guess where pricing will land. 6-core must be more than 7700k for sure so it should be around $450. 8-core will be faster than 1800x almost certainly so it will be priced higher. Around $650. 10-core will then probably be $800 and so forth. around 150 bucks for additional 2 cores except 18-core model probably gets a flagship price.

WingZero30

May 1, 2017
Surprisingly this was discussed back in February where reference to upcoming HEDT having more cores was mentioned but it was not clear at the time or it wasn't picked up upon. There was talk of upcoming HEDT having 18 cores but the info remained obscure.

https://www.eteknix.com/intel-introduces-prosumer-xeon-gold-workstation-cpus/

From various unconfirmed reports, Intel is set to launch a new Xeon Gold lineup. These new Xeon Gold CPUs are meant to offer higher core counts than the usual HEDT platform which peaks right now at 10 cores. Users who want more would have to pay a very hefty premium for the E5 and E7s server and workstation class chips. However, there may be many prosumers who simply want a lot of cores without all of the expensive validation and enterprise features. This is where Xeon Gold comes in.

The first chip is the new Xeon Gold 6150 featuring 18 CPU cores, with HyperThreading for a total of 36 logical CPUs. L2 cache comes in at a hefty 1MB per core for 18MB and L3 is 24.75MB. Clock speeds are reported as 2.7 GHz base and 3.7 GHz boost. Of course, we have quad channel DDR4 memory as well. While it falls short of the top end E7 v4 chips which have 24 cores, it is a substantial upgrade over the HEDT platform. I also expect it will have many enterprise features like extra QPI links to be disabled as well as limited to single socket platforms. It will be interesting to see if this rumour turns out to be true and who would need such a CPU.

Now if we go back to the latest slide it mentions TDPs of 165W & 140W for these Skylake-X cpus.

Also we have the leaked Skylake-SP Xeon Platinum and Gold list.

https://hardforum.com/threads/intel-xeon-gold-xeon-platinum-skylake-sp-lineup-leaked.1928015/

Notice that from the list Xeon Gold 6150 is the only 18 core which has TDP of 165W.

This leads me to believe that the Core i9-7980XE is Xeon Gold 6150 repurposed for the X299 platform on MCC die.

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
I expect more aggressive clocks (esp. Turbo) for Core i9-7980XE, and differences regarding AVX-512 support (not full speed for consumer, non-server parts).

WingZero30

May 1, 2017
Really amazing how Intel was able to keep this secret until (almost) Computex. Everyone I talked to just a few days ago reiterated the previous leak, even Intel in the presentation below.

8th Gen Intel Core 'Coffee Lake-S' + Z370 Chipset to Launch in August/September (4C and 6C 'K' Options)

Rest of the lineup, including a dual-core variant (native 2C KBL-S die? cut down 4C CFL-S die?), will follow in Q1-2018.

Interesting that Skylake-X lineup still goes up to 12 core in their Press presentation ??

Sweepr

Diamond Member
May 12, 2006
Don't read too much into it, the leak from VideoCardz is real. My source had to double check it before he/she could believe as well. I imagine they were trying to keep this as a surprise till Computex.

gx_saurav

Dec 5, 2012
about.me

65W, Non K, 6C-6T/12T? Coffee Lake S CPU is interesting. I wonder what the clock will be like.

I think we can safely expect that Intel will not make it available for existing 170 and 270 chipsets. This makes the Core i7 7700 (both K & Non-K) the end of line CPU for these chipsets. I hope there is a price cut as those CPUs are going to last easily for 5 years in gaming needs.

Aug 11, 2008
Well, this is great and all, but honestly, I see very little market for threadripper or these >10 core chips. More important is the pricing of the 6 and 8 core models. With the indicated clockspeeds, seems to me the sweet spot will be the 8 core chip, if the price is right.

Reactions: psolord

beginner99

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2009
Well, this is great and all, but honestly, I see very little market for threadripper or these >10 core chips. More important is the pricing of the 6 and 8 core models. With the indicated clockspeeds, seems to me the sweet spot will be the 8 core chip, if the price is right.

For consumer yes. At work I can clearly see how I could use a 32core cpu. Long running ST tasks and just run 32 of them at same time. The bigger problem is getting the budget for such a server/workstation and a finding one that fits your needs.

JoeRambo

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2013
With the indicated clockspeeds, seems to me the sweet spot will be the 8 core chip, if the price is right.

Also MCC is work of the devil*, cache latency/bw, intercore bw/lat are not uniform. That 10 core LCC is where uniform perf is. One might want to run NUMA on those core clusters to extract max perf. Plus memory controllers will be connected to clusters in the way that remains to be seen and some cores might see strange mem latencies.

* higher ranking devil is working on AMD chips, where "optimal" Numa node is as small as 4

Karnak

Jan 5, 2017
PC Games Hardware has been tapped from a confidential source, so that the line-up is in principle correct, ie products and core numbers. In addition, we were confirmed that the CPUs should not be soldered against the hitherto common practice with the HEDT platform.
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=de&sl=de&tl=en&u=http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Skylake-Codename-259478/News/Bis-zu-18-Kerne-bestaetigt-und-nicht-verloetet-1228994/&sandbox=1

Hope that's not true. Like.. wtf Intel?

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Also MCC is work of the devil*, cache latency/bw, intercore bw/lat are not uniform. That 10 core LCC is where uniform perf is. One might want to run NUMA on those core clusters to extract max perf. Plus memory controllers will be connected to clusters in the way that remains to be seen and some cores might see strange mem latencies.

* higher ranking devil is working on AMD chips, where "optimal" Numa node is as small as 4

There are rumours that Skylake X is ditching the multiple ringbuses and moving to a mesh fabric, like the Knight's Landing chip:

Intel-Knights-Landing-mesh-interconnect.jpg

So you might have a whole new type of non-uniform latency to worry about :)