Question Intel Q3: Ouch

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019

Desktop volume down 16%, Notebook up 16% but ASP down 7%.

Q4 forecast is bad too, they are expecting 14% decline in revenue compared to Q4 last year.
I'm more worried about the fact they still don't sound entirely confident on 7nm even in 2023 if I'm honest. The financial figures I couldn't care about right now.

Even suggesting there's a chance of no 7nm products at all.
6f248e52843951f44891a3cc7d0705f4.jpg

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Revenue down, margins down, forward outlook significantly down y/y. Their notebook and cloud revenue did well but ASP down across the board. They're also using their entire proceeds from selling their NAND business for stock buybacks to try and keep the stock price up. A working 7 nm would be a huge help here but I don't think anyone inside or outside of Intel has confidence in that happening in a timely manner. Intel could become a drastically different company in the next 5 - 10 years.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Revenue down, margins down, forward outlook significantly down y/y. Their notebook and cloud revenue did well but ASP down across the board. They're also using their entire proceeds from selling their NAND business for stock buybacks to try and keep the stock price up. A working 7 nm would be a huge help here but I don't think anyone inside or outside of Intel has confidence in that happening in a timely manner. Intel could become a drastically different company in the next 5 - 10 years.

Selling off parts of the Company to fluff the Stock Price seems ominous.

Matrixxx

Apr 30, 2000
I came specifically to the forum to see everyone's sentiment about Intel. Initially, I wondered, is there hope in the near future? Now, I'm wondering, is there a future at all?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I came specifically to the forum to see everyone's sentiment about Intel. Initially, I wondered, is there hope in the near future? Now, I'm wondering, is there a future at all?
Intel has had a rough few years, and this has been the only true "bad" quarter they've had. They do need to right the ship over the next few years, but they're not exactly in "Sears mode" right now. I mean AMD survived a decade of crap CPUs/sales, and Intel has a lot more money than they ever did.

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
I wouldn't worry about there being a future. They'll sort themselves out again.

I was just hoping they'd do so sooner rather than after 2023, that's all.

thesmokingman

Platinum Member
May 6, 2010
I wouldn't worry about there being a future. They'll sort themselves out again.

I was just hoping they'd do so sooner rather than after 2023, that's all.

I dunno about that or at least anytime soon. They're not fixing their core process problems and instead dumping cash to buoy their stock price. They're repeating the same thing with their nand division sale, they're gonna do more stupid buybacks.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
But there are people here who think Intel can do no wrong, and make excuses for everything. I see big business doing the same thing for years. That may save them, but not in the long run.
Complaining about people who like Intel helps this thread about Intel financials how? This is yet another example of how you could be less biased in your posts to help the forum.

uzzi38

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 2019
I dunno about that or at least anytime soon. They're not fixing their core process problems and instead dumping cash to buoy their stock price. They're repeating the same thing with their nand division sale, they're gonna do more stupid buybacks.
But they are fixing the problem of architecture being tied to specific nodes very soon, which is IMO the biggest thing that needed fixing.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
very soon now™

Intel has a future. As a successful huge commodity manufacturer. Just don't expect it to quickly return to the bleeding edge once it loses the lead (which in many areas it already did).

dmens

Platinum Member
Mar 18, 2005
But they are fixing the problem of architecture being tied to specific nodes very soon, which is IMO the biggest thing that needed fixing.

Love how people say this, as if it were the fab holding back the arch/design teams. Folks, the only reason Intel designs were even remotely competitive in the past was because of the 3 year process lead those fabs gave them. They don't even know how to compete on process parity.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Very soon... right. Even Swan admits to delays pushing 7nm way out to 2023. How soon is that???

He's gonna be on the analyst circuit tomorrow to try and spin things around, just watch.

Have to think it really means is fabbing products at TSMC first, and if they get anything out of 7 nm, they will fab there too.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Complaining about people who like Intel helps this thread about Intel financials how? This is yet another example of how you could be less biased in your posts to help the forum.
Biased ???? Look at the entire content of the thread. Intel is in trouble. The only question is how badly. Is there any bias in that ??? Are you one of the naysayers ? Seriously"help the forum" ?? What is that supposed to mean ? I post as a user, just like the rest of you. I have opinions, and right now, that opinion is in the majority. What am I supposed to do ? Be an Intel fan to help the forums ???? NOT !!

I am a "fan" of whoever is doing better, PERIOD.....And a forum supporting Intel will do nothing for them. They need to wake up, and smell the roses, and start making some good decisions, its not my job to do that for them.

Edit: Actually, badmouthing Intel in all forums, might make them "wake up".

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
As much as I am a somewhat "fan" of AMD, I agree with Mr. Meat's sentiment, I don't want to watch Intel go down the (tubes), because then we'''ll be living the FX-60 (Athlon 64) prices again. And I don't know about you, but I don't really want that.

As bad as this quarter is, and as stupid as selling off parts of the companies to do stock buybacks seems, I don't think Intel is necessarily "doomed". But losing their process node advantage has got to be a hard blow, and those fabs, if not occupied and producing chips, are just costing them big $$$. (But if the chips produced on those fabs are no longer competitive in the market, what can they do? They only need so many G41 chipsets made a year... :p )

Edit: And in other thoughts, Intel has been (along with AMD, to be fair) stalwarts in keeping away the ARMy from their market-share in desktops and servers. If Intel largely loses their market presence, does AMD or can AMD have enough dominance, to also keep away the ARMy? Or will they be swallowed up?

Maybe NVidia buying up ARM is the best thing to happen to Intel and AMD in a long time, who knows.

Last edited:
Reactions: french toast

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Selling off parts of the Company to fluff the Stock Price seems ominous.

I hate this practice so much. The idea of it makes me angry (emotional reaction is wasted, I know, and yeah there can be a few strategic reasons to keep stock prices up) - create something of value and use that to prop your stock price. You know, it just BILLIONS of dollars that could be invested in the real world. $$$ on the stock market is approaching funny money at this point. I know the executives all care *a lot* about how their bonuses will shape up but gosh darn it. 🤢