Intel Q2:

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
It looks like Rome EPYC is starting to really hurt them,. I mean down 10% in their biggest money maker. Interesting to see AMD's Q2

Vattila

Oct 22, 2004
It looks like Rome EPYC is starting to really hurt them,. I mean down 10% in [Data Center] their biggest money maker.

Well, they claim cloud is doing well, which is where EPYC has some success. What is tanking is enterprise, which is a part of the market that EPYC hasn't really cracked yet.

As you say, it will be interesting to see AMD's earnings report on Tuesday, and in particular, guidance for Q3 and full year.

Last edited:

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
It looks like Rome EPYC is starting to really hurt them,. I mean down 10% in their biggest money maker. Interesting to see AMD's Q2

I was thinking that too, but it was Enterprise & Government which caused the declines; and they are the group that's least likely to switch, at least immediately. Cloud was only down like 1%.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I was thinking that too, but it was Enterprise & Government which caused the declines; and they are the group that's least likely to switch, at least immediately. Cloud was only down like 1%.
Its too bad I retired. If I was the CEO of my old corp (large as in over 120k employees) I would be switching everything to Rome, You save on power, and AC, and the net result is a LOT of savings. Replacing hardware happens every day when you have literally square miles of data center floor.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
So I read the 10-Q, and it's got a line about Cloud "absorbing capacity" in Q2. Yeah... maybe you will see the impact of Rome next quarter.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
In computing, overclocking is the practice of increasing the clock rate of a computer to exceed that certified by the manufacturer. Commonly operating voltage is also increased to maintain a component's operational stability at accelerated speeds.

. . . what?

nicalandia

Diamond Member
Jan 10, 2019
In computing, overclocking is the practice of increasing the clock rate of a computer to exceed that certified by the manufacturer. Commonly operating voltage is also increased to maintain a component's operational stability at accelerated speeds.
Bad Bot :(