Question Intel Q2: 7 nm in bad shape

Page 13 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010

Here's the money shot:

The company's 7nm-based CPU product timing is shifting approximately six months relative to prior expectations.
The primary driver is the yield of Intel's 7nm process, which based on recent data, is now trending approximately
twelve months behind the company's internal target.

Data Center volume up 29% (plus 5% ASP)
Notebook up 9%
Desktop down 14% - not as bad as I had thought

Q3 guidance bad - revenue of 18.2b vs 19.2b in 2019

Last edited:

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
The Warhol leak looked like misdirection. XT wasn't exactly a refresh. A reissuing of Zen 2, yes. I can't see AMD making that same mistake again. I never understood why people placed so much faith in leaked roadmaps. They're very easy to fake in Adobe Illustrator. I've often wondered if AMD leaks fake slides just to mess with supposed leak websites they don't like who further dig themselves into a hole. Also the misdirection messes with Intel.

I remember it working when he posted thst. Bur yesh, requires an update

I believe it's this link? Intel must have shuffled around links or domains in recent weeks. 🤡

Last edited:

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Aurora appears to be slipping as well according to NYT:

That was already known from the latest Intel's earnings report but that is a nice write-up on the situation. They briefly mention it but Aurora was originally supposed to deploy in 2018 based on Xeon Phi. After Phi was cancelled, they gave Intel another shot and reworked the configuration for Xeon/Intel DG and it was supposed to be deployed in 2021. Now it looks like it will be mid-2022 at the earliest. I guarantee the decision makers at DOE are furious with Intel right now and won't forget about this anytime soon.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
That was already known from the latest Intel's earnings report but that is a nice write-up on the situation. They briefly mention it but Aurora was originally supposed to deploy in 2018 based on Xeon Phi. After Phi was cancelled, they gave Intel another shot and reworked the configuration for Xeon/Intel DG and it was supposed to be deployed in 2021. Now it looks like it will be mid-2022 at the earliest. I guarantee the decision makers at DOE are furious with Intel right now and won't forget about this anytime soon.
When is that new AMD supercomputer supposed to go online ?