Intel product attracts stupid people....<RANT>

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
I like Intel's motherboards.

They're good quality with a low RMA rate. They're not too expensive. They're stable.

My work started carrying Intel branded boards.

Specifically, the Intel &quot;Easton&quot; motherboard.

This week was the first week we had the board and this week was a doozy!

It seems that some people that would not oridinarily step foot in my place of work, have now done so attracted by the Intel branding of a motherboard.

No other brand have I seen such a following of stupidity. Your typical Anandtech, Ars or OCP reader would opt for an Asus or MSI product for sure, but not the utter newbie.

One guy came in Wednesday after calling complaining that the board would not post.

Upon inspection of the inside of the PC, I noticed the fan on the CPU, but the CPU was not in the socket! He had merely placed the CPU on top of the socket and snapped the fan on top of that. The spring clip's tension that was holding the fan down was so tight that I had to bust out pliers to get it off.

I gave him the evil eye and said, &quot;It's not going to post if the CPU is not in the socket.&quot;

He said, &quot;Nobody told me about that!&quot;

Of course, we sort of take for granted that most people know that the interface between the CPU and motherboard is a bit more than osmosis. So I respond, &quot;I can't imagine what you thought this little lever was for.&quot;

Today, a guy came in with his PC complaining that it would not post. Again, it was an Intel Easton board.

The guy at the counter was too busy to look at the whole PC, but handed the customer a screwdriver and told him to pull the board since that is all he bought from us.

He pulled the board out of the case and handed it to the counter dude. It was then passed to on me. &quot;It doesn't boot. Can you check it?&quot;

I take the board and put it on the test bench. It fired right up. I asked the counter guy, &quot;No POST or no boot?&quot;

&quot;No post.&quot;

&quot;Hmm....&quot; I walk up to the counter and take a look at the case for signs of the not-so-obvious. Voltage set to 220? Broken wire on the power switch? I notice that there are no stand offs in the case. For the life of me, I refuse to believe that he mounted this board without the stand offs, but I'm compelled to ask, &quot;Where are all of your stand offs?&quot;

&quot;Stand off? What's a stand off?&quot;

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000
I'm extremely ashamed to admit that the first time I built a computer, I did the same thing as the last guy :eek:

Mucman

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
LOL, JonnyGURU!

If it was for your rants I would feel like a complete computer idiot... sometimes I find those stories hard to believe but I am sure they would be harder to make up ;)

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000
PUT IT ON THE SITE! PUT IT ON THE SITE! PUT IT ON THE SITE!

I look forward to reading this rant as a bedtime story to my Coppermine and my SB Live card.

silverspear

Mar 13, 2000
POST IT U PIECE OF $hit.... if u dont i will do it for u....

Gawd am i addicted to guru rants !!

jonnyGURU

Oct 30, 1999
/jonny scrambles for PROFILE button of silverspear, but alas, there's none.

Viperoni

Lifer
Jan 4, 2000
Jonny, I have this cool thing about me that I don't understand when stupid people talk.
Having said that, I don't understand a word of what silverspear just said :Q :D :p

jonnyGURU

Oct 30, 1999
I dunno... That hole &quot;PIMP&quot; thing in the sig looks pretty cool. ;)

CrimsonWolf

Oct 28, 2000
Damn jonnyGURU, I thought the stories about people using the CD-ROM drive as a cup-holder were great, but those guys take the cake!

BiggieN

Banned
Apr 3, 2000
&quot;Where are all of your stand offs?&quot;

&quot;Stand off? What's a stand off?&quot;

Stand off? What's a stand off?

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
That's the one thing that's had me afraid to step in and work in a brick and mortar store, I would kill someone. When I build custom systems for people, I interogate them as to their knowlege of using a pc. If I sense that they are gonna be bombarding me with constant phone calls, I tell em to go buy a national brand with tech support. I expect people to know how to use windows damnit! ;)

Stallion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2000
That is some funny stuff. Crap even I was smart enough to read the manual the first time I built one.

dude

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
Heh, that's one reason I left the repair shop. Then moved on to help desk / MIS. Oh god. After that, I was out of the computer tech/help desk business. :)

Never looked back neither. Excpet for the good jokes and the stoopid stoopid dummies who didn't know sh!t but thought they were techs because they were &quot;doctors&quot; or &quot;lawyers&quot; or &quot;place your proffession here&quot;.

jonnyGURU

Oct 30, 1999
Well, RTFM definitely applies.

When the first guy said &quot;Nobody told me about that!&quot;, I took the liberty of looking in the Easton's manual. For CPU insertion it says to review CPU's documentation. I grabbed a retail Intel CPU manual and sure enough, it says &quot;lift the lever, install CPU....yadda yadda yadda&quot;.

I bet he never looked.

The second guy completely missed the diagram of the case with the stand offs making little dotted line tracks into the case. I let that slide as not >>THAT<< obvious. :(

People wonder why I have an attitude when people call and say things like &quot;this case is wrong because it doesn't fit the motherboard&quot;.