Intel OverCLocking noobie needs help getting to 3ghz :)

May 30, 2007
K, vid of my Q8200 is 1.2v, I got the $180 eVGA 750i FTW mobo from newegg and I got a 4gk kit ( 2x 2048mb ) of G.Skill DDR2 1066.

Just wondering what the general consensus is for quick settings to get to 3ghz as far as all the different voltage available and crap like that. Once I get the 3ghz I'll fiddle arround with it but I don't want to have to fight with it for the next few days having to constantly reset the damn cmos cause I keep getting it wrong ( which is what I'm doing atm : )

==========================================================

UPDATE :

Got it to boot at 3ghz 429 x7 using the following voltages :

vCore - 1.3v
FSB - 1.2v
nForce SPP - 1.35v
NF200 - 1.35v

Anyone think I should change/lower anything as it seems to be stable atm with 2 instances of Orthos each testing 2 cores.

Concillian

Diamond Member
May 26, 2004
You shouldn't need that much vcore for 3 GHz. It's up to you if you think you need to drop it down. Wasted power and excess heat, but otherwise not a big deal.

I think Q8200 is two e5200 dies. If that's the case, it should be able to run 3.0 at close to stock voltage. You should be able to go around 3.2-3.5 range on 1.3v, but you'll run into FSB limitations before that.

Run OCCT and IBT (Orthos doesn't play well with quads) at 6x multiplier to play with FSB limits. I like to find this first so I don't have to guess what's causing failures. Pull 5 MHz off whatever you find to be the max stable in order to give yourself some margin and this determines your max CPU speed. You should be able to reach whatever your max FSB turns out to be with that CPU without difficulty. I'd be surprised if you need 1.3v to get anywhere your FSB is stable ( you will likely run into a wall somewhere between where you are now and 450ish).

Then you just put your CPU to 1.3v and that FSB and play with the voltage until you find the limit. Add back 0.0125 - 0.02v or so to give more margin and you're done.