Intel or Amd for new DVR systems?

RobertPters77

Feb 11, 2011
I'm upgrading all of my DVR systems, and I just purchased four Geovision GV-650 PCI DVR cards for ~2k. And now I need to build two pc's to house them in. Here's what I need help with. Should I go with Intel or Amd?

I was thinking about this. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...697&Tpk=zacate It's a complete Cpu/gpu/mobo combo. And it's the only zacate board with 2 pci slots. What I'm worried about is the passive cooling element. Because the system will be on 24/7 with 4x2tb Hard Drives. I'm worried about the system dying from over heating. I'm also thinking that zacate maybe too weak to handle 32 cameras at 60fps simultaneously. Buying a dedicated gpu will defeat the purpose of buying zacate and there are no Quad Core zacates. And since their are no LLano's scheduled till Q3, brazos is my only option on the Amd side and I need to build the systems asap.

On the Intel side I was thinking about getting an i5-2500k for the HD3000 graphics but the onboard gpu is still too weak so I'll get an i5-2400 and use the 50 dollar difference to buy a better gpu. Plus my motherboard options are much better. But the cost will be 2-3x as much.

Intel Option 2: Buy a legacy 775 platform. Which would cost the same price as brazos. But I'd be reliant on Intel GMA, unless I buy a dedicated card. And the price of 4gb DDR2 modules is higher than DDR3. Even though this option will probably outperform the brazos system. I want to avoid buying legacy and/or unsupported/end-of-the-line tech.

Etc;
Amd = 150$ for Asus E35M1-M PRO

Intel = 200$ for i5-2400, ~100$ for Mobo, and 50-75$ for Gpu.

Intel 2 = 50$ for E3400, 60$ for ASUS P5G41-M LE/CSM Mobo, and 50-75$ for the Gpu.

What would you do? Keep in mind this system will be on 24/7 and there will 2 of them.

infoiltrator

Feb 9, 2011
Intel ONE.
The Zacate depends on case air movement, right case no worries.
But the built will cost extra for that.
The E3400 is not worth the price by now.
You could try I3 2100, at $120 its easily value for dollar champ. And upgradeable.
o\On the other I don't know where your bottle necks are.
WAG GeForce 430 (fermi) at $70 will surpass on board video and not even work hard.

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
If you decide to go the Intel route, the i5 is serious overkill. You're comparing a 18W TDP part to a 95W TDP part. The i3 2100T is much more appropriate part both in terms of price, about $100 cheaper, and TDP, 60W cheaper.

If you can find a good cooling solution, I would go with the Zacate solution just because it's so much cheaper and arguably just as effective.

flexcore

Jul 4, 2010
Ya Zacate is sweet. It's really is a great first try for the market it is intended. I'm looking forward to the next gen of these.

veri745

Golden Member
Oct 11, 2007
I'd go for the Zacate setup. S775 is not worth it and the i5 setup is way more expensive, especially since you'd need a discrete GPU, too.

Just make sure your case has good airflow (I'm thinking something with a couple 120mm fans) or go for a 3rd party HSF.

*edit* I just took a second look at the newegg link to the Zacate, and it comes with an optional fan for the CPU/chipset heatsink, so you should be fine if you use that.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Yep, go with Zacate.

Cooling and noise will be an issue for a HTPC, I suggest you put those drives in a NAS box and locate them elsewhere.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Why is Zacate the only AMD option?

Get a dual core Athlon and a 890G board. Low power and cheaper than the Intel setups you have listed. Also make sure it has the SB850 so you get SATA 6Gb which may help depending on the HD's you use.

Or get a cheap 870 board and a 5450 video card.

You live near a Microcenter?

When I built my HTPC I looked at everything and AMD won the bang for the buck and did everything I needed. My main rig is Intel so I am not a fanboy, but bang for the buck buyer.

Last edited:

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Hes talking about a Security camera system and not a dvr system like for recording tv :)

You have no choice, you have to go to with Intel
Righ on the system requirements page for those card located here http://www.geovision.com.tw/english/Prod_GV650.asp
You will have to go with Intel as "Note: GV-650 is currently not compatible with VIA series and ATI series chipset motherboards.

You do not need to go with the current new chips, if you can build a s775 system it should be plenty for running the 2 cards. I build systems for a local security company in my area and they are all currently s775 system with a Pentium dual core E5400 processors with 2GB of ram 1tb hdd for a 16 cameras motion recording 24/7

You could bump it to a Core 2 Duo and it should be fine

The other thing in regards to the dedicated video card is the video overlay for the live view of the cameras. It usually does not work with the intel intergrated video. you can get an inexpensive radeon 5450 or similar and it works fine

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
I would still vote for the i5. You are spending serious coin on all this stuff, spend the extra ~$100 and do it right the first time.

Too much processing power you won't notice.

Too little you will and you'll be frustrated and waste time and money upgrading.

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
Oh there is nothing wrong with going with the i5, but if wanted to save some money he could look at the c2d's. generally for a security pc, you don't really want to be doing anything else other than using it for recording the cameras.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Hes talking about a Security camera system and not a dvr system like for recording tv :)

You have no choice, you have to go to with Intel
Righ on the system requirements page for those card located here http://www.geovision.com.tw/english/Prod_GV650.asp
You will have to go with Intel as "Note: GV-650 is currently not compatible with VIA series and ATI series chipset motherboards.

You do not need to go with the current new chips, if you can build a s775 system it should be plenty for running the 2 cards. I build systems for a local security company in my area and they are all currently s775 system with a Pentium dual core E5400 processors with 2GB of ram 1tb hdd for a 16 cameras motion recording 24/7

You could bump it to a Core 2 Duo and it should be fine

The other thing in regards to the dedicated video card is the video overlay for the live view of the cameras. It usually does not work with the intel intergrated video. you can get an inexpensive radeon 5450 or similar and it works fine

Thats not true. ATI has not made chipsets for a while. They are known as AMD and been updated many times since then. The specs even list P4 CPUs and other older tech. These cards are not new they have been around a while.
If there was a problem running them on new AMD boards they would also have issues on NEW Gen intel boards since they support the same thing now.

RobertPters77

Feb 11, 2011
The whole Intel only chipset crap is just that bullcrap. My only remaining DVR system is running geovision cards on dual socket 940 opteron 140s.

@blckgrffn
I spent 10k the last time around for 2x32 camera systems. The cards cost me 4k alone for 16 fps. I got suckered into spending 6k on server grade hardware I didn't need. The opteron 140s were a replacement for Prescott base Xeons that burned out 11 months after I bought the systems. And I'm trying to save money every place I can in this god damn recession.

@Dahak
Correct. Are your systems Win XP?

@Marlin1975 & richough3
Because AM3 proper is at the end of it's life. Do you know how hard it was for me to get support from amd for my Opterons? Also the AM3 system will cost very similar to the i5 option with alot less performance.

@jones377
Don't think so.

Last edited:

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
^

You should be able to get a AM3 system much cheaper than an Intel one, it was a deciding factor in my HTPC build.
For $190ish you can get a 870 board (Sata6Gb, USB3, etc..) Tripple core CPU, and 5450 Video card. Thats using newegg. If you have a microcenter near you the prices are even better.

AM3 support will be around a while. You will be able to use AM3 CPUs in AM3+. It is just that bulldozer will not work in MOST am3 boards. There are some AM3 boards that have AM3+ support but most are doing that very quietly as I don't think AMD will be supporting Bulldozer on AM3 boards.

Dahak

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2000
The whole Intel only chipset crap is just that bullcrap. My only remaining DVR system is running geovision cards on dual socket 940 opteron 140s.

@Dahak
Correct. Are your systemsWin XP?

Yes they are still running xp
I will admit, which I should have stated in my previous post, that most of the systems I have build are not built with the geovision cards, expect for 2 or 3 and those where back a few years ago so it could have changed since then

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com

@blckgrffn
I spent 10k the last time around for 2x32 camera systems. The cards cost me 4k alone for 16 fps. I got suckered into spending 6k on server grade hardware I didn't need. The opteron 140s were a replacement for Prescott base Xeons that burned out 11 months after I bought the systems. And I'm trying to save money every place I can in this god damn recession.

I hear you - you're not spending $6k this time though, right? More like $600? Check out the 820 OEM at NewEgg. A buddy of mine go that last week with an AMD 770 ATX board for $150 shipped, hard to beat that and its a good option between your Celeron and i5 slots. Hopefully you have the flexibility to be opportunistic.

The i5 2400 is $150 at Microcenter if you have one near and the i3 2100 is $99. The 2100 is what I will likely be putting in my next server - lots of compute power, small heat footprint. It would worth investigating if the onboard graphics are good enough to avoid a discrete card (more money savings, plus less power used over quite a long time...)

Last edited:

RobertPters77

Feb 11, 2011
I've decided to go Intel Option 2. It's price for performance ratio is unbeatable. And Geovison will not support the cards if they are put in a non intel chipset.

@blckgrffn
Yeah 6k on 2 pc's. The P4 system cost me 1.5k and the Dual Xeon system cost me 4k.