Question Intel Mont thread

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dark zero

Platinum Member
Jun 2, 2015

Local retailer selling it for USD equivalent $754.

I pity the morons who buy this.
That is insane.... they didn't put even a dGPU in order to "compensate" this...

TESKATLIPOKA

Platinum Member
May 1, 2020
If the benchmarks are to be believed than this 15 watt n305 i3 is faster than the amd 15w ryzen 7 3700u from 4 years ago. (4 real cores, 8 threads in the AMD vs intels 8 cores, 8 threads "atom" small core architecture.)

In fact I would hazard a guess that the n305 i3 would be similar performance as the Zen 2 Ryzen 3 5300u which is a 10 to 25w chip depending on the manufactures configuration.
Both of them use real cores. IPC should also be comparable.

N305 is interesting, but Acer Aspire 3 with It costs €626 in my country, which is pretty high.

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008
We are at the point (I think) where we are going to start seeing phased out the old atom generations and the start of the new atom generations for the low end.

Some no name mini pc with the N100 (so 4 core 4 threads, small core alderlake aka 12 and 13th gen small core)
with OS, 16 go of ram, and 500 gb ssd for $240 normal price on sale for $50 off and thus $190.

not the best deal by any means, but a usable computer due to the sky lake 4 core like performance, lots of ram, and ssds are now standard.

Let’s see what happens when more OEMs, name brand OEMs, start making low end chromebooks, windows laptops, and these mini pcs. The 2006 to 2009 netbook craze has returned, and 15 years later it finally does not stink.

Last edited:

hemedans

Jan 31, 2015
What do you mean 'even'?
Of course the quad channel SoC is better than a single channel budget SoC...
And Apple has been killing it for years especially on power consumption.

You can get i3 1215u devices for around $300 sometime less than that, so whats the point of N305 if it has less perfomance, use more power and cost more?

Atleast N100 power usage is low and cost less.

Jul 27, 2020
whats the point of N305
Whatever the point was for flooding the market with Atoms. They want IT illiterate people to lose money. Just few days ago, someone in my company called me up asking if they should buy a $800 laptop. For studies and using Microsoft Teams. Someone as clueless as that would happily pay $500 if the sales guy told them that the N305 would be perfect for their needs.

Reactions: hemedans

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Igor you're old enough to remember Celerons hitting the market in the 1990s. Let's not pretend as if Intel is on anew adenture screwing low end customers of their hard earned money.

• Haha
Reactions: igor_kavinski

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
Whatever the point was for flooding the market with Atoms. They want IT illiterate people to lose money. Just few days ago, someone in my company called me up asking if they should buy a $800 laptop. For studies and using Microsoft Teams. Someone as clueless as that would happily pay $500 if the sales guy told them that the N305 would be perfect for their needs.
So let me get this straight. You think the only purpose of having cheap, low end products is to dupe people? You're just trolling at this point.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
So let me get this straight. You think the only purpose of having cheap, low end products is to dupe people? You're just trolling at this point.

You can't call someone a troll for there buying habits.
To some low end is a excuse to force the consumer to keep buying low end constantly to replace the lacking hardware in which why it was called low end.

These people do not care about features, they want something cheap, that efficient, and can be replaced every time a new one comes out for the sake of reliability more so then compute.

But to the high end market, these low ball products are taking up production lines on a already scarce demand.
They offer just the tip of bleeding edge, but not the full feature.
They have very poor upgrade options , some almost non existent, hence you need to replace it every time a new one comes out.

but again, your replacing the unit every time, by the 2 to 3rd iteration, the product you have now maybe faster then the flagship of the generation 2-3 back ago.

So for the sake of buying habits, one side of the camp can not shoot the other, without shooting yourself first, because each camp has its full advantages.

Heck even i sit at both camps depending on what the machine is for.
There are times when i think low end is pointless.
Its to me greed, by making you buy something you really don't need, but made possible to have financially because it was slimmed down way beyond what it was meant to be.

But at times i see it as value, as for a office machine, i need something which has a new clock, a new pcb trace, something that won't fail and have me source parts and repair it for the next couple of days leaving the machine down.

Nah.. rather not worry about a days lost revenue on that machine when it can come out to more then if i bought a new one each model refresh to keep it in working order. In this case, there is no way i would put a high end machine here, when its not anywhere needed. Id rather keep flipping low end machines until i retire or sell off the company.

Igor you're old enough to remember Celerons hitting the market in the 1990s.

I assume this is full sarcasm, as that generation falls on the most epic celeron.
But on another note, there has been other epic celerons.

The Pentium G -> the desktop rebrand of celeron sort of, after all desktop processors took the label Core, or i(#) designation.

But i can list several Pentium G's which gave i3's and i5's a good run for its money, back when 4 cores was typically the max a game could utilize.

Last edited:

soresu

Platinum Member
Dec 19, 2014
Has problems with 4K60 videos, at least in Firefox.
Every so often I get problems with 4K in Firefox even with a 3950X and a 6600XT, I think that the QoS for that browser has diminished steadily since Brendan Eich was pushed out and fell off a cliff following the Mozilla Research team being largely excised in 2020.

Then again I think Google purposefully gimps Firefox performance on Youtube to try and bring more people to Chrome, so it's hard to tell exactly what is up half the time.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

soresu

Platinum Member
Dec 19, 2014
If the benchmarks are to be believed than this 15 watt n305 i3 is faster than the amd 15w ryzen 7 3700u from 4 years ago. (4 real cores, 8 threads in the AMD vs intels 8 cores, 8 threads "atom" small core architecture.)

In fact I would hazard a guess that the n305 i3 would be similar performance as the Zen 2 Ryzen 3 5300u which is a 10 to 25w chip depending on the manufactures configuration.
3700u is the Zen+ based Picasso APU.

5300u is the Zen2 based Lucienne/Renoir APU.

Zen2 got a huge SIMD IPC boost to AVX perf as well as a 15% scalar IPC boost.

A quick scan of the stats shows that 5300u has a comparable boost clock of 3.8 ghz and they are probably on a comparable process too.

All things considered I would say that ST perf should probably come out in favor of the 5300u, though the greater core count of the Intel chip would likely favor MT perf crown, but I can't see that many people going for such low end products looking hard for MT perf in the first place, just power efficiency which Renoir finally had in abundance over Raven Ridge and Picasso.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Every so often I get problems with 4K in Firefox even with a 3950X and a 6600XT, I think that the QoS for that browser has diminished steadily since Brendan Eich was pushed out and fell off a cliff following the Mozilla Research team being largely excised in 2020.

Then again I think Google purposefully gimps Firefox performance on Youtube to try and bring more people to Chrome, so it's hard to tell exactly what is up half the time.

Only reason i still have Firefox on some of my devices is because you can install ublock origin plugin on firefox mobile, while you can't have anything on chrome mobile.

Reactions: soresu
Jul 27, 2020
You think the only purpose of having cheap, low end products is to dupe people?
Not cheap. Intel's Atom/NXXXX series is not priced as low as the performance it delivers and you would get at least twice the performance if you put the same money towards a slightly older used i3 or i5 machine. But the average consumer doesn't know this so they get duped out of their money.

AMD used to do this too with their A6/A8/A10 series of anemic CPUs but they have since redeemed themselves by flooding the market with very affordable Ryzen 5500U laptops that are often cheaper than some good Intel i3-1115G4/i5-1135G7 laptops. I've even seen funny cases where the 5400U laptop is priced higher than 5500U.

Pro Tip: Anyone looking for a great cheap laptop, search for HP i3-1125G4 laptop. In my country of residence, it is selling for about $300 with 8 threads! I have the 17.3 inch one with a plastic body and upgraded it to 32GB RAM and it is excellent so far.

Last edited:

soresu

Platinum Member
Dec 19, 2014
Only reason i still have Firefox on some of my devices is because you can install ublock origin plugin on firefox mobile, while you can't have anything on chrome mobile.
It's truly sad that Firefox has fallen so low.

I was hoping that Eich would just branch the code when he left, but he took the Blink road instead for Brave thus doubling down on the monopoly of that web engine ☹

At least Servo development has started up again recently under new management, though it's got a very long way to go before it can reach any basic competitive level with a modern browser.

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
You can't call someone a troll for there buying habits.
This isn't about anyone's buying habits. It's about the claim that the only reason a company would offer lower end products is to deceive people. A claim that this particular user just so happens to only be making about one company. It's a ridiculous assertion to begin with, made worse by the apparent bias with which it's made.

Exist50

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2016
Atom/NXXXX series is not priced as low as the performance it delivers
Do you know what Intel is charging OEMs for these chips? Because we've had this discussion before, and the retail pricing has come down considerably since the first devices were listed. Trying to extrapolate bulk chip pricing by comparing new devices with the firesale rates of old inventory is pointless, especially in the current market.

Of course, from the standpoint of a consumer buying a device, Intel's selling price to OEMs is immaterial, but that has no bearing on whether this chip line should exist in the first place. Eventually device prices will reflect the BOM.
AMD used to do this too with their A6/A8/A10 series of anemic CPUs but they have since redeemed themselves by flooding the market with very affordable Ryzen 5500U laptops that are often cheaper than some good Intel i3-1115G4/i5-1135G7 laptops.
AMD has Mendocino that fulfills more or less the same role in the market. They even brand it 7000 series.