Discussion Intel Meteor, Arrow, Lunar & Panther Lakes Discussion Threads

Page 231 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tigerick

Apr 1, 2022
PPT1.jpg
PPT2.jpg
PPT3.jpg

As Hot Chips 34 starting this week, Intel will unveil technical information of upcoming Meteor Lake (MTL) and Arrow Lake (ARL), new generation platform after Raptor Lake. Both MTL and ARL represent new direction which Intel will move to multiple chiplets and combine as one SoC platform.

MTL also represents new compute tile that based on Intel 4 process which is based on EUV lithography, a first from Intel. Intel expects to ship MTL mobile SoC in 2023.

ARL will come after MTL so Intel should be shipping it in 2024, that is what Intel roadmap is telling us. ARL compute tile will be manufactured by Intel 20A process, a first from Intel to use GAA transistors called RibbonFET.

Comparison of upcoming Intel's U-series CPU: Core Ultra 100U, Lunar Lake and Panther Lake

ModelCode-NameDateTDPNodeTilesMain TileCPULP E-CoreLLCGPUXe-cores
Core Ultra 100UMeteor LakeQ4 202315 - 57 WIntel 4 + N5 + N64tCPU2P + 8E212 MBIntel Graphics4
?Lunar LakeQ4 202417 - 30 WN3B + N62CPU + GPU & IMC4P + 4E08 MBArc8
?Panther LakeQ1 2026 ??Intel 18A + N3E3CPU + MC4P + 8E4?Arc12

Comparison of die size of Each Tile of Meteor Lake, Arrow Lake, Lunar Lake and Panther Lake

Meteor LakeArrow Lake (20A)Arrow Lake (N3B)Arrow Lake Refresh (N3B)Lunar LakePanther Lake
PlatformMobile H/U OnlyDesktop OnlyDesktop & Mobile H&HXDesktop OnlyMobile U OnlyMobile H
Process NodeIntel 4Intel 20ATSMC N3BTSMC N3BTSMC N3BIntel 18A
DateQ4 2023Q1 2025 ?Desktop-Q4-2024
H&HX-Q1-2025
Q4 2025 ?Q4 2024Q1 2026 ?
Full Die6P + 8P6P + 8E ?8P + 16E8P + 32E4P + 4E4P + 8E
LLC24 MB24 MB ?36 MB ??8 MB?
tCPU66.48
tGPU44.45
SoC96.77
IOE44.45
Total252.15

Intel Core Ultra 100 - Meteor Lake

INTEL-CORE-100-ULTRA-METEOR-LAKE-OFFCIAL-SLIDE-2.jpg

As mentioned by Tomshardware, TSMC will manufacture the I/O, SoC, and GPU tiles. That means Intel will manufacture only the CPU and Foveros tiles. (Notably, Intel calls the I/O tile an 'I/O Expander,' hence the IOE moniker.)

Clockspeed.png

Attachments

• PantherLake.png
    PantherLake.png
    283.5 KB · Views: 23,968
  • LNL.png
    LNL.png
    881.8 KB · Views: 25,440
Last edited:

SiliconFly

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2023
...fmax has been increased...
20A's rumored Fmax was around 5.2GHz - 5.4GHz. So, did you mean 20A's Fmax is expected to be beyond that? Sounds a bit unlikely, as 20A is a brand new node with too many new technologies (like GAAFET & Backside Power Delivery). My guess is, Intel will need a miracle for 20A to touch 5.5GHz or 6GHz.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Not maybe, he does make stuff up. That's the problem with having a YT show built around leaks, his audience expects him to deliver on time & every time, so he ALWAYS has something for any upcoming product from Intel, AMD, Nvidia. If some bird chirps in his ear it's all good, if not then he'll make do with the wind.
He does make stuff up. But he also ALWAYS indicates what stuff is likely real and what is just wild rumor. To pretend that his stuff is all real or all made up is disingenuous. We can do better than that. Just report it as he does: likely true or likely rumor.

Too many people here just want to deny anything he says, even the true stuff, just because some stuff is wild rumor. I worry that you fall into that category. It would be the same to just dismiss all of this forum because some posts are rumor.

Schmide

Diamond Member
Mar 7, 2002
Let me rephrase. Intel uses foveros which has chiplets on top of an interposer connected using the advanced NOC interconnect fabric. This is far ahead of AMD's dated chiplet design, where the chiplets reside on the substrate and are connected using the very dated infinity fabric.

Like I said, Zen5 is not gonna catch up with ARL in packaging tech. ARL's foveros & NOC interconnect are far too advanced. ARL's only weak point may turn out to be LNC and may lose to Zen5 in ST or MT. Or maybe not. Hard to guess at this time.

Catch up? I don't think that phrase cuts the mustard. Let us look at the bread and butter.

https://chipsandcheese.com/2023/09/23/intels-ponte-vecchio-chiplets-gone-crazy/

It's has potential, but it's not going to leap frog refined technology on it's first release. In some ways it seems like they bit off more than they can chew.

H433x0n

Mar 15, 2023
20A's rumored Fmax was around 5.2GHz - 5.4GHz. So, did you mean 20A's Fmax is expected to be beyond that? Sounds a bit unlikely, as 20A is a brand new node with too many new technologies (like GAAFET & Backside Power Delivery). My guess is, Intel will need a miracle for 20A to touch 5.5GHz or 6GHz.
I wish it was primarily Intel silicon but the bulk of ARL is on TSMC N3B. The top ARL SKU on N3B looks like it should be able to reach ~5.4ghz boost clocks.

On its own terms (relative to Golden Cove era) it looks like it’ll do okay.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
Let me rephrase. Intel uses foveros which has chiplets on top of an interposer connected using the advanced NOC interconnect fabric. This is far ahead of AMD's dated chiplet design, where the chiplets reside on the substrate and are connected using the very dated infinity fabric.

Like I said, Zen5 is not gonna catch up with ARL in packaging tech. ARL's foveros & NOC interconnect are far too advanced. ARL's only weak point may turn out to be LNC and may lose to Zen5 in ST or MT. Or maybe not. Hard to guess at this time.
If Zen 5 loses to ARL in performance or perf/W, it won't be because of advanced packaging or the lack thereof imo. Ultimately, AMD's choice in using a substrate based SerDes interconnect was based on engineering judgement, not a lack of imagination. I'm sure if AMD determined advanced packaging was needed, nothing would prevent them from doing so, especially since TSMC is the leader in it. If anything, the fact that Zen 2 to Zen 5 all successfully use the same interconnection tells you how little it holds back their design in the grand scheme of things.

Glo.

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2015
If Zen 5 loses to ARL in performance or perf/W, it won't be because of advanced packaging or the lack thereof imo. Ultimately, AMD's choice in using a substrate based SerDes interconnect was based on engineering judgement, not a lack of imagination. I'm sure if AMD determined advanced packaging was needed, nothing would prevent them from doing so, especially since TSMC is the leader in it. If anything, the fact that Zen 2 to Zen 5 all successfully use the same interconnection tells you how little it holds back their design in the grand scheme of things.
Zen 5 will not lose to Intel in anything, apart from perf/$.

EOT.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I didn't ask you to watch anything.
I see, you just like posting here what you watch. I've been watching a lot of Taskmaster recently. Videos about canyoneering too. I watch bouldering competitions while I'm on the treadmill.

I'm interested in CPUs though, especially in this thread. If you have something relevant to say about CPUs, please do so next time. I'm capable of discussing both likely specs and wild rumors about specs.

Anyone know how Fab 9 opening up affects this discussion of packaging tech (supposedly that fab should allow Intel to finally mass produce Foveros and other packaging technologies)? Fab 9 supposedly recently opened up, but I don't know if that means it is in production or just ramping towards production. Will that give Intel the ability to mass produce Meteor Lake or is it for the the upcoming tiled CPUs? I assume Intel's foundry event next week will go into more details.

Last edited:

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
I'm capable of discussing both likely specs and wild rumors about specs.
Considering your poor attempt at being passive-aggressive you're hardly capable of discussing anything. The video I gave as example was from MLID and also discussing Meteor Lake, so exactly on topic. It's a clickbait video, showcasing how little MLID cares about juggling with half truths to attract views. (unless you agree with him that Intel is deceiving consumers)

Meanwhile you're trashing this thread with videos about fan noise and weird stories about your life hobbies. All because someone disagrees with you.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
All because someone disagrees with you.
Does someone disagree with me? All you've posted so far is "You know what, you're right." and something that you call clickbait that you don't ask us to watch. That is pretty odd that you'd post a link for people not to click on it. But you do you.

MLID posts truths, half-truths, and far-fetched rumors. He marks each one with his interpretation of their reliability. That is far better than (A) people who ignore the fact that something they post is a far-fetched rumor and (B) waiting until the product launches--at least I find it better since it is interesting to discuss.

Here is an example of MLID's key for his Meteor Lake posts:
1707770751588.png

Do you disagree with me that the items in different shades of colors have different levels of believability?

Last edited:

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Can you map "truths, half-truths, and far-fetched rumors" to "very high confidence, high confidence and mostly confident"?
Here is MLID's interpretation:
1707771218783.png

Is he 100% correct in all times? Certainly not. Is he 100% incorrect like you and a few others have implied many times? Certainly not. But we can still discuss his posts without pure outright dismissal of them (well at least some of us can).

Here are other examples of MLID's key where he describes them in more detail. The items in white are not confirmed 100% truths (also marked as estimations or informed opinions).
1707771760613.png1707771916065.png

Last edited:

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
Here is MLID's interpretation:
View attachment 93739

Is he 100% correct in all times? Certainly not. Is he 100% incorrect like you and a few others have implied many times? Certainly not. But we can still discuss his posts without pure outright dismissal of them (well at least some of us can).

Here are other examples of MLID's key where he describes them in more detail. The items in white are not confirmed 100% truths (also marked as estimations or informed opinions).
View attachment 93741View attachment 93742

MLID has had many very high confidence or 100% sure "leaks" be wrong. Problem is that he deletes those videos when they get proven wrong so unless someone is archiving all his stuff (why would you?), you can't go back to show how wrong he's been. Even people on Reddit have figured out not to give him any legitimacy.

1707775528966.png

I will say that he's actually had some good guests on in the past but I realized pretty quickly that he was clueless in what he was trying to talk about and stopped watching his videos so I don't know if he's been able to keep up the interesting guest segments or not.

Hitman928

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2012
With the release of Hawk Point, Notebookcheck ran some tests on the new AMD chip against their latest MTL numbers. I'm posting a chart here where they re-did their Cinebench r23 scores over power consumption like they did at MTL's release. I'm only including the Intel MTL vs RPL numbers to compare the latest versus release numbers. Overall it's basically the same as the release situation. The release tests did 28 W - 45 W whereas this is a higher range, but overall the results are basically the same. The 155H is roughly 5 - 10% more efficient than RPL depending on what power level you are running at. So whatever updates have come with the latest laptops/firmwares, it hasn't really effected MTL's positioning in compute performance / efficiency according to this test.

1707776791431.png

DavidC1

Dec 29, 2023
Intel 4 was supposed to be 20% more power efficient? Does that mean MTL has pretty leaky compute dies?
It actually reminds me of Sapphire Rapids where it has too many tiles and they improved significantly by moving to two tiles from four with Emerald Rapids and made quite a decent jump. Even if Meteorlake is better on some implementations, needing post-launch firmware update is proof that something went wrong. It should have been easy enough so everything was there before it even had a chance to be in the hands of testers.

This does not bring confidence with Arrowlake, where it'll use the same many tile approach. Lunarlake on the other hand, cuts it down.

Whether Foveros has an advantage over AMD's approach or not, implementation trumps theory like it always has been.

Tigerick

Apr 1, 2022
It actually reminds me of Sapphire Rapids where it has too many tiles and they improved significantly by moving to two tiles from four with Emerald Rapids and made quite a decent jump. Even if Meteorlake is better on some implementations, needing post-launch firmware update is proof that something went wrong. It should have been easy enough so everything was there before it even had a chance to be in the hands of testers.

This does not bring confidence with Arrowlake, where it'll use the same many tile approach. Lunarlake on the other hand, cuts it down.

Whether Foveros has an advantage over AMD's approach or not, implementation trumps theory like it always has been.
That's pretty objective view of points, unlike someone who keeps praising something irrelevant to the SoC like LPE & Feveros.

4-tile SoC reminds me of old time with four separate ICs; namely CPU, north bridge, GPU and display output. We are back in times, it is all due to IFS incapable of making monolithic SoC. That's why memory latency is real, that's why there is LPE try to cut down power consumption. I have given up hope on ARL due to four tiles solution.

LNL is departure from 4 tiles but too bad it is one time thing and they are available for 4P+4E only.

Reactions: lightmanek

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Intel 4 was supposed to be 20% more power efficient? Does that mean MTL has pretty leaky compute dies?

That s about right, if you look at MTL at 35W then RPL use about 20% more power for the same throughput.
20% better efficency at same throughput amount to about 8% better perf at same power, that is, you trade the better efficency at isoperfs for better perfs at isopower.

Reactions: lightmanek

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
MLID has had many very high confidence or 100% sure "leaks" be wrong. Problem is that he deletes those videos when they get proven wrong so unless someone is archiving all his stuff (why would you?), you can't go back to show how wrong he's been. Even people on Reddit have figured out not to give him any legitimacy.

I will say that he's actually had some good guests on in the past but I realized pretty quickly that he was clueless in what he was trying to talk about and stopped watching his videos so I don't know if he's been able to keep up the interesting guest segments or not.
Yes, many people have a hard time understanding when someone says there is not high confidence of something that it might not be true--Even those on Reddit. I've seen lists like that plenty of times here. He isn't perfect. But it is ignorant to ignore everything he posts because some things haven't come true. There are saved images of his leaks, no need to store videos. Feel free to give those saved images a proper review if you want (which if you want to exclude someone you should do a proper tally). A lot of his leaks do come true. A lot do not. Below are some of his Meteor Lake images.

Is he correct in everything? Heck no. But 2 and 3 years before the Meteor Lake launch, he actually got some important details right, even in his speculation white font.
Nov 2020:
1707784940670.png
June 2021:
1707785751294.png
June 2022:
1707784735385.png
Nov 2022:
1707785652533.png
Dec 2022:
1707784822617.png
May 2023: 1707785435417.png
June 2023: