Discussion Intel Meteor, Arrow, Lunar & Panther Lakes Discussion Threads

Page 508 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Tigerick

Apr 1, 2022
PPT1.jpg
PPT2.jpg
PPT3.jpg

As Hot Chips 34 starting this week, Intel will unveil technical information of upcoming Meteor Lake (MTL) and Arrow Lake (ARL), new generation platform after Raptor Lake. Both MTL and ARL represent new direction which Intel will move to multiple chiplets and combine as one SoC platform.

MTL also represents new compute tile that based on Intel 4 process which is based on EUV lithography, a first from Intel. Intel expects to ship MTL mobile SoC in 2023.

ARL will come after MTL so Intel should be shipping it in 2024, that is what Intel roadmap is telling us. ARL compute tile will be manufactured by Intel 20A process, a first from Intel to use GAA transistors called RibbonFET.

Comparison of upcoming Intel's U-series CPU: Core Ultra 100U, Lunar Lake and Panther Lake

ModelCode-NameDateTDPNodeTilesMain TileCPULP E-CoreLLCGPUXe-cores
Core Ultra 100UMeteor LakeQ4 202315 - 57 WIntel 4 + N5 + N64tCPU2P + 8E212 MBIntel Graphics4
?Lunar LakeQ4 202417 - 30 WN3B + N62CPU + GPU & IMC4P + 4E012 MBArc8
?Panther LakeQ1 2026 ??Intel 18A + N3E3CPU + MC4P + 8E4?Arc12

Comparison of die size of Each Tile of Meteor Lake, Arrow Lake, Lunar Lake and Panther Lake

Meteor LakeArrow Lake (20A)Arrow Lake (N3B)Lunar LakePanther Lake
PlatformMobile H/U OnlyDesktop OnlyDesktop & Mobile H&HXMobile U OnlyMobile H
Process NodeIntel 4Intel 20ATSMC N3BTSMC N3BIntel 18A
DateQ4 2023Q1 2025 ?Desktop-Q4-2024
H&HX-Q1-2025
Q4 2024Q1 2026 ?
Full Die6P + 8P6P + 8E ?8P + 16E4P + 4E4P + 8E
LLC24 MB24 MB ?36 MB ?12 MB?
tCPU66.48
tGPU44.45
SoC96.77
IOE44.45
Total252.15

LNL-MX.png

Intel Core Ultra 100 - Meteor Lake

INTEL-CORE-100-ULTRA-METEOR-LAKE-OFFCIAL-SLIDE-2.jpg

As mentioned by Tomshardware, TSMC will manufacture the I/O, SoC, and GPU tiles. That means Intel will manufacture only the CPU and Foveros tiles. (Notably, Intel calls the I/O tile an 'I/O Expander,' hence the IOE moniker.)

Clockspeed.png

Attachments

• PantherLake.png
    PantherLake.png
    283.5 KB · Views: 24,001
  • LNL.png
    LNL.png
    881.8 KB · Views: 25,483
Last edited:

Jul 12, 2024
Th Zen 6 32 core variant is the even weaker C cores. I remember reading it somewhere on how they would get 32 onto one CCD with upcoming Zen 6. But maybe things change do not know. But if Zen 6 is coming 2025, hard to imagine they could get 32 into one CCD without making them even weaker C cores/
Zen 6 is not coming before 2026 Typical AMD schedule anyway LNL NDA is 24 days away :)

OneEng2

Sep 19, 2022
It is a updated core on entirely new node with GAA and BSPD so i would call it new otherwise crestmont wouldn't be a new core ?
Agree. The point I was trying to make is 18A is a very high risk node.
Referring to glue? Like how are things glued and how intel does it.

I thought a process node was all an SOC and no glue?

I mean technically didn't Intel glue two Pentium 4 chips into one package to make the Pentium D and thus they were not a true dual core but rather a dual socket Pentium 4s in one package. Also kind of like how AMD currently glues 2 5800X/7700X/5600X/7600X/9700X/9600X CCDs into one paclkage chip to make the current Ryzen 9 parts??
I specifically meant digital glue :). Not actual glue.

Also, seems like AMD have released a new bios update that greatly lowers the CCD to CCD latency many have mentioned.
You expect people to find this position acceptable? That's the core of assessing whether a company is moral, immoral, or simply amoral.
No. I personally find it unacceptable. I am a high level manager and have been in several companies. This is how it is done. Investors don't care about the relative morality of a company, only how it performs financially. It is brutal, but it is true. I do find it amusing that some of the same people that detest company morals are also decrying federal regulation. It's like people expect companies to behave like a loving parent :).

Jul 12, 2024
Agree. The point I was trying to make is 18A is a very high risk node.
Well they derisked BSPDN GAA is the only main risk alongside yields
No. I personally find it unacceptable. I am a high level manager and have been in several companies. This is how it is done. Investors don't care about the relative morality of a company, only how it performs financially. It is brutal, but it is true. I do find it amusing that some of the same people that detest company morals are also decrying federal regulation. It's like people expect companies to behave like a loving parent :).
Exactly lawsuit doesn't matter it's a matter of by doing this or that how much did you gain in profit

SiliconFly

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2023
Last time i9-14900HX same core count. HX is desktop transferred to BGA, this is not a real mobile CPU.
Doesn't matter you feel that way. I have a HX laptop & the gaming perf is pure awesome (and mine is just a Raptor 8+16 with RTX). I'm sure the newer ARL-HX will just kill it, leaving the competition in the dust.

Oh edit that they do with the 13900HX Raptor Lake after research.
The HX series is very power hungry. And for best gaming perf, it needs to plugged in. But it does what it does best... eXtreme Performance. The regular H series won't even come near it.

SiliconFly

Golden Member
Mar 10, 2023
Referring to glue? Like how are things glued and how intel does it.
Zen 5 uses the old Infinity Fabric. Basically an outdated point-to-point interconnect that resides directly on the substrate itself.

Intel Lunar Lake & Arrow Lake both use the cutting-edge Coherent Fabric Interconnect (similar to MTL's NOC Fabric) that sits directly on top the base tile and is connected using Foveros. Basically an IP network-like architecture (where traffic is switched). It's light years ahead of Infinity Fabric.

RWC is much better than most people think because launch microcode was horrible. Perf/mhz increased after several updates.
Maybe so. But RWC didn't bring in any IPC increase, hence it's a lost cause. And worse, at launch, it had regression. I still wish RWC didn't exist.

cebri1

Jun 13, 2019
HUB saying the ARL announcement is expected to happen the 10th of October and the release will follow the 24th. They also said there hasn't been any delay, the 24th date has been more or less known for some time.

DavidC1

Dec 29, 2023
I do find it amusing that some of the same people that detest company morals are also decrying federal regulation. It's like people expect companies to behave like a loving parent :).
Because government is the penultimate monopoly with near zero consequences to it's actions.

Rather than deregulation things would be better solved if certain crimes couldn't be *cough* bribed *cough* lobbied and/or you can pay your way out of jail and/or you fine the company rather than fining/jailing the individuals responsible.

Volkswagen was fined a massive amount and most of the individuals responsible basically got off with a mere slap in the wrist. Let's say instead they were put in prison regardless of position or fined relative to their earnings, meaning a millionaire would be fined 10x compared to someone having 10x less.

Last edited:

jdubs03

Oct 1, 2013
Figured I’d attach too as this is a related 258V posting (Blender CPU).
Closest analogy would be the 155U (14 threads) at 15W.
1726893663626.png
Seems like the 165U is an extreme outlier, considering it should be faster than the 155U, and somewhere between the 155U and 155H.