Discussion Intel layoffs

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
... Ryan too?
"particularly in its sales and marketing departments"
After the traveling medicine show he and TAP did, it's be justifiable if they did can his butt. The whole thing was greasy.

I guess this means all those Intel Retail edge guys that annoy you in Best Buy during the holidays won't be around anymore? One can only hope. :imp:

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Demand isn't that slow, its just intel's product line is garbage as of this moment, with poor management having no clue on what a proper launch is, or when they should launch something.

They held a monopoly for so long, they forgot how to fight, and fight back hard.
Instead they are still trying to pull there name as weight and hope people will buy because it goes "ding ding ding ding - intel melody trademark* and is Intel.

They need fresh blood like how AMD did when they hired Lisa Su.
The old people need to just stand back, and let the fresh people who actually listen to us take control, or actually know what marking Timing means.
(im looking at you Intel Arc.... and your wrecked launch)

Reactions: MangoX and ftt

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
Most of the lay offs are in the R&D department from what I heard. I would think that these engineers should be the last to be layed off in a microelectronics chipmaker company. Every department will be effective however, some as much as 20%.

itsmydamnation

Platinum Member
Feb 6, 2011
Most of the lay offs are in the R&D department from what I heard. I would think that these engineers should be the last to be layed off in a microelectronics chipmaker company. Every department will be effective however, some as much as 20%.
With the lord and saviour at the head i find that hard to believe. Unless they are going to exit specific technologies / markets.

gdansk

Golden Member
Feb 8, 2011
We have stagnation + inflation again. Everyone is lowering forecasts. Many are freezing hiring.

But Intel, who has some less attractive products at the moment, has been hit harder than most its competitors. And Gelsinger removes the parts he thinks are disposable.

Well, I hope he's right. But in some industries a strong sales team can beat competitors with good engineering. Marketing does seem less important now, however, since it can't convince people to suddenly have more disposable income again.

Reactions: Tlh97 and ftt

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
We have stagnation + inflation again. Everyone is lowering forecasts. Many are freezing hiring.

But Intel, who has some less attractive products at the moment, has been hit harder than most its competitors. And Gelsinger removes the parts he thinks are disposable.

Well, I hope he's right. But in some industries a strong sales team can beat competitors with good engineering. Marketing does seem less important now, however, since it can't convince people to suddenly have more disposable income again.
The quote from Gelsinger as of late are laughable. If he went, it would not be hard to replace him with somebody with a brain. Intel lately seems to take one step forward, and 10 back. And having somebody at the top who is delusional does not help them.

moinmoin

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2017
The quote from Gelsinger as of late are laughable. If he went, it would not be hard to replace him with somebody with a brain. Intel lately seems to take one step forward, and 10 back. And having somebody at the top who is delusional does not help them.
While he constantly acts (and gets paid) like a big shot Hollywood actor I do think he's doing plenty long overdue changes at Intel. I guess as long the results of the latter are not there yet we simply have to enjoy his public performances...

Reactions: Tlh97 and Geddagod

CakeMonster

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2012
I've worked in companies where there's similar situation, you have one huge actor, and one or two competitors with a bit smaller market share but much fewer employees and much smaller budgets. Typically they all struggle with the same issues, and layoffs tend to hurt just as much for everyone, even though in theory the big and heavy company should weather it better. Its just a culture issue, I know people in these big companies whose frustrations an inability to make a difference matches myself 100% despite there being a lot more heads.

TLDR; Pat better really be on top of things or Intel will substantially hurt from laying off people despite their ridiculous size.

Panino Manino

Jan 28, 2017
I think someone mentioned future decreased sales as a consequence of murrica's imperialistic war with China.

Please confine your political views and disgust of America to the P&N forums.

Daveybrat
AT Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
I don't like this news at all. Hiring tens of thousands of employees and laying them off(even if it's from another division) leaves a very sour taste in my mouth. This is the behavior of a "typical" company with mediocre management styles.

I know nearly every company does this. But it's idiocy. Then people wonder why there's security issues everywhere? NDAs?!? Who the flipping cares about that?! If you don't like the company, it'll be leaked someday, simple as that.

50-60% of the people said if they get laid off or get fired they'd reveal internal information. That's why it's about people, not about technology, not about products, not about money.

Kocicak

Jan 17, 2019
If the business changes, employees must change too. You may see hiring and layoffs as breathing of the company. Both air intake and exhaust are necessary.

cortexa99

Jul 2, 2018
Not a surprice since recession. Foreseeable consistent act.

Intel CEO Announces Targeted Job Cuts in Wake of Lower Margins

Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger said on Thursday announced that the company would soon undergo a round of "targeted cuts." As reported by Oregon Live, the CEO took to a video conference with company employees where he described the cuts as necessary in the wake of high costs and low margins on the myriad of products Intel develops, manufactures and distributes.

The cutbacks aim to reduce Intel's operational expenses to and unlock a way back to profitability. This is happening just months after Intel and other semiconductor companies were awarded a cool $52 billion in government subsidies in the U.S. alone.

Kaluan

Jan 4, 2022
The more they guzzle taxpayer money the more they seem inclined to cut personnel. I wonder what skeleton crew will run those fancy new government splurged plants in the next years, considering the massive downturn won't be going away anytime soon.

Margins on client are probably much slimmer than 1 year or more ago.