Intel, it's time to step away from the i's

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Atari2600

Golden Member
Nov 22, 2016
How about Intel Core2016-iX-YYYY

So 2016 will change with the year of release, X will denote 3/5/7 and YYYY is the model number.

For mobile parts, instead of i3/i5/i7, use i2/i4/i6.

For all ranges, the model numbers start at 1000 and increment in intervals of 1000 to the top end.
This leaves copious amounts of room for backfilling the range later on with use of 100s and 10s (assuming later on involves the same architecture on the same process).

Simples.

Of course, probably far too simple and logical for some PR "gurus". :rolleyes:

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
Worked well enough from Pentium up to Core 2.
Uhm... Pentium was the top-of-the-line series for 4 (numbered) generations plus various sub-divisions, and still exists as a brand today. The Core/Core 2 branding morphed into Core iX. Brands have been replaced/superceded largely when they've been supplanted by new, superior architectures (P4->Core, Core2->Core iX). Although there have been several major revisions since the launch of Core i, they haven't been revolutionary.

Also, the CPU market is far more crowded and complicated today compared with ten years ago. This is what creates confusion - yet having separate brands for each segment makes no sense whatsoever. That would just create more confusion. Some sort of delineation of the segment in the model name would make sense, but that's it as far as I'm concerned. As for generation, that's clearly shown by the first digit in the model number (except for Pentium and Celeron lines, but those are a total mess any way, and I doubt anyone cares).

Feb 25, 2011
I think Intel should give HEDT its own branding, the Intel Core X.
Or i9. Except it would be nice if there were an easy way to distinguish between 4- and 6-core parts.

Maybe i8 for the quad core HEDT and i9 for the 6?

The mobile parts with their oddball -U, -T, -Q, etc., just muck everything up. Honestly, those should be i2, i4, and i6.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
I think Intel should give HEDT its own branding, the Intel Core X.
I don't think going back to Core naming would work, as that would be confused with the previous Core series. i9 might work, or perhaps a naming scheme like i7x6, i7x8, i7x10 may work too. Or just go with something like i7 7820x6, i7 7920x8, i7 7960x10... (or i9)

Mar 10, 2006
I don't think going back to Core naming would work, as that would be confused with the previous Core series. i9 might work, or perhaps a naming scheme like i7x6, i7x8, i7x10 may work too. Or just go with something like i7 7820x6, i7 7920x8, i7 7960x10... (or i9)

Ew. No, it has to be simple!

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
The x6, x8, x10 is simple enough to know how many cores it has. You could use i9 to denote the HEDT market, although the price automatically says that already. You could probably drop some of the numbers before if you did, but that makes it easier for those who know the current naming.

Shehriazad

Nov 3, 2014
Intel Core Advance Pro Quad Hyperthread Gen 1 seems like an easy name for the next gen.... (hah)

Mar 10, 2006
The x6, x8, x10 is simple enough to know how many cores it has. You could use i9 to denote the HEDT market, although the price automatically says that already. You could probably drop some of the numbers before if you did, but that makes it easier for those who know the current naming.

No, i9 adds to the confusion.

i3, i5, and i7 is simple because it tells you "good, better, best." If you are in the market for a new computer, you know that the i3 is pretty solid, i5 is good, and i7 is what you buy if you want the most performance.

i9 would throw a wrench into that.

x6, x8, and x10 don't work because:

1. eventually HEDT core counts will change
2. consumers actually respond better to odd numbers rather than even numbers, it's just more pleasing even if you don't know why.

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
How about Intel Core2016-iX-YYYY

So 2016 will change with the year of release, X will denote 3/5/7 and YYYY is the model number.

For mobile parts, instead of i3/i5/i7, use i2/i4/i6.

For all ranges, the model numbers start at 1000 and increment in intervals of 1000 to the top end.
This leaves copious amounts of room for backfilling the range later on with use of 100s and 10s (assuming later on involves the same architecture on the same process).

Simples.

Of course, probably far too simple and logical for some PR "gurus". :rolleyes:
With that system, where do 35-45W, quad-core parts fit in? i4/i6 or i5/i7? They're based on the same die as the desktop chips, just binned and power limited. Definitely far superior to 15-28W chips, but inferior to anything with a higher TDP...

Also, why the need for "2016"? The first digit of the model number already indicates the generation, and all it takes to figure out which is the newest is to take a look around at available models.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
No, i9 adds to the confusion.

i3, i5, and i7 is simple because it tells you "good, better, best." If you are in the market for a new computer, you know that the i3 is pretty solid, i5 is good, and i7 is what you buy if you want the most performance.

i9 would throw a wrench into that.

x6, x8, and x10 don't work because:

1. eventually HEDT core counts will change
2. consumers actually respond better to odd numbers rather than even numbers, it's just more pleasing even if you don't know why.

I really don't see how the i9 throws a wrench into anything. The HEDT are higher end, so using a higher number shows the consumer it's a higher end CPU, but it could also stick with the i7, but toss in the xCoreCount to show how many cores are in it by the name. Or you could use some new name, like the Zeus, or what ever. Either way is easy enough to figure out as long as the core count is in the name.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
As you all have pointed out, it is funny: the system Intel created allowed then to go up to 9 levels and still leave the basic format alone. But even that seemed to be too much to ask for.

What's more, at this point, doing something like that would probably make a confusing system even worse. e.g. " I can't afford this new i7, but I can't believe this i6 is any better than my 5-year-old i7, so I just won't buy anything."

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
What's more, at this point, doing something like that would probably make a confusing system even worse. e.g. " I can't afford this new i7, but I can't believe this i6 is any better than my 5-year-old i7, so I just won't buy anything."
I never said to use i6. I said either make all HEDT systems under i7 or i9 with a x6/x8/x10 in the name to let you know how many cores it has. That or just come up with a new unique name, similar to Xeon, and also denote the number of cores in the name. But that should stick to similar numbering as the i7's, so you can tell what generation it is.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I like the idea of a "Consumer Xeon" brand, for HEDT. Plus, Intel really SHOULD do something in that branding dept., if they want to successfully move consumers off of mainstream models to their -X SKUs. They need to make them seem hip and cool to buy HEDT.

Reactions: Arachnotronic
Feb 25, 2011
Th
I like the idea of a "Consumer Xeon" brand, for HEDT. Plus, Intel really SHOULD do something in that branding dept., if they want to successfully move consumers off of mainstream models to their -X SKUs. They need to make them seem hip and cool to buy HEDT.
They do, they put skulls on any server parts they want gamers to buy.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
That's what i7s are, pretty much. Oh, but no ECC because we "know consumers don't care about stability when persuing performance". Of course, now they've created a chipset barrier on the Xeon E3s and the i7s because the cat got out of the bag, so to speak.
mMidVME.png

ninaholic37

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2012

witeken

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2013
Now that AMD will be using SR3, SR5, SR7, It's time for Intel to jump one step ahead and go with i5, i7, i9.

I would certainly buy i9.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I have felt this for a few years. And today while contemplating what to do for the wife looked up the processor in my current machine. I had no idea it was a Broadwell based chip. The naming convention is horrible. And now they are throwing in 2 core i7s to the mix. Why?

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
I have felt this for a few years. And today while contemplating what to do for the wife looked up the processor in my current machine. I had no idea it was a Broadwell based chip. The naming convention is horrible. And now they are throwing in 2 core i7s to the mix. Why?
Mobile has had 2 core i7s for ages. A Q denotes quad core on the mobile lines.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Mobile has had 2 core i7s for ages. A Q denotes quad core on the mobile lines.

Does the sticker on the laptop say Q on it? Does the label next to it list any specs beyond "Core i7" and the max boost clock? Customers shouldn't need a decoder ring to figure out wtf they're buying.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Does the sticker on the laptop say Q on it? Does the label next to it list any specs beyond "Core i7" and the max boost clock? Customers shouldn't need a decoder ring to figure out wtf they're buying.

It won't work. While lot of people are knowledgeable about computers, significantly more don't and more importantly, don't care. Marketing guys are likely smart enough to realize that you can't get everyone but it's better to get the bigger group.

The current weird(at least we think so) way of de-emphasizing tech specs in favor of marketing numbers designed to guide the consumers in a way they want theme to buy is because it's a mature market with little room to grow. They never needed to do so because everyone HAD to upgrade 25 years ago. Now it's an option.

Server naming is quite straightforward because they still buy based on need for better performance and most buyers are IT guys who care about cores and benchmarks and caches. Consumers don't. We know the tactic of Good/Better/Best works because in 2010 when they introduced it they increased sales 25% or more. Previous 5 years the revenue was stagnant. No coincidence.

For most folks we know since Core 2 it's fast enough and computers slow down only because enough useful and non useful software along with other trash pile up over time. So for them it makes no difference whether it's an 4 core H series i7 chip or a 2 core i7. Even a 4.5W Core M. Heck even large amount of gamers don't need more than 2 cores with HT.

Apple is the most profitable company in the world and Paul Otellini knew Steve Jobs well. They have this way of captivating people in a manner no other managed to have done. But they have extremely small amount of SKUs. Intel can't do the same because they sell chips but introducing another level would make it worse for them.

Last edited:

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Most customers wouldn't know what the missing link is needed to determine actual core speed and how that is measured, and looking at those measurements from all of those websites anyway. Their ignorance is Intel's gain.

It's like spec fudging for leaf blowers. People won't research the numbers; they'll buy based on bigger numbers and maybe brand right there.