Intel i5 CPU temp?

Discussion in 'CPUs and Overclocking' started by Kristi2k, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Kristi2k

Kristi2k Golden Member

I have an Intel i5 CPU on an Intel board with stock fan and thermal compound. The board is reporting that the CPU them is 58c - 134f. Is that hot for this CPU?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Intel temp Forum Date
    Intel Tells 7700k Owners to Stop Overclocking to Avoid High Temps CPUs and Overclocking May 5, 2017
    High 7700K Temps with Corsair Hydro H80i and Hyper 212 CPUs and Overclocking Apr 12, 2017
    Good program for monitoring intel temp/fan speed? CPUs and Overclocking Apr 22, 2015
    Expected temps for an Intel Core 2 Duo P9400? (mobile chip) CPUs and Overclocking Mar 27, 2015
    Intel i7 4770k stock temps CPUs and Overclocking May 5, 2014

3. ekoostik

ekoostik Senior member

First, a few questions:

Is that at idle, loaded, or fully loaded? What are you using to measure the temperature? Which measure are you reporting? What type of case do you have? Motherboard? What is your ambient (room) temperature?

It seems likely the heatsink/fan may not be seated all the way. But until we know more about your setup that's just a guess.

You said "the board is reporting" - if you're reading that from the motherboard's BIOS you can get more accurate real-use readings from good software once you're in the OS. (Although 58C from the BIOS would be very high.) Pick a couple programs at first until you're comfortable with one and know you're getting accurate readings. Good choices are: SpeedFan, RealTemp, CoreTemp. I don't have links on hand but I'm sure you can find them elsewhere in these forums/google or perhaps someone else can help provide download links.

4. Kristi2k

Kristi2k Golden Member

Well, I was watching a flash video for a movie trailer and for the first time since I built the computer over about a month ago it restarted on it's own like I hit the reset button.

I wouldn't say it was under high load as I have been converting RAW files to JPG, ran JKdefrag last night with no problems. I am reading the temps from the BIOS bu can try SpeedFan as I have used that before.

The room temp was about 66F and I have the Antec Sonata III and an Intel DP55WG board.

5. ekoostik

ekoostik Senior member

Unless SpeedFan has been updated it is reporting core temperatures on the i5, i7 8xx ~15C too LOW. Try one of the other programs for now, or run two at once. Log into your OS, load up the temperature monitoring programs and let your PC sit and idle for a good 15-20 minutes.

6. Kristi2k

Kristi2k Golden Member

RealTemp has been reporting that my idle temp is anywhere from 20-32C and average use temp is 32-36. The highest I've been able to get it is 49C- burning a D/L DVD and surfing the web while listening to music.

7. aigomorla

aigomorla Cases&Cooling Mod<br>PC Gaming Mod<br>Elite Member
    Super Moderator

http://majorgeeks.com/Prime95_d4363.html

Run that test.

Let it run for about 3 hours.

If you see during that test your cpu goes higher then 80C, turn the test off.
    You have ventilation problems if your overheating on stock settings.

8. Kristi2k

Kristi2k Golden Member

9. Drakcol

Drakcol Member

That's pretty much the temps I get on my i5 with a stock cooler so I'd think it's about right. I believe the cutoff for the i5 core is 99 degrees Celsius so unless your CPU is routinely reaching 80 degrees or hotter I wouldn't worry to much about it. .. But that's me, then again I'm grabbing myself a new heat sink since I don't like th temps above 80 ..

10. plonk420

plonk420 Senior member

undervolted (edit) my 860 to ~1.01v (prime95 stable), i got it down to ~58-60C in distributed computing, ~64-68C prime95 with stock cooler.

also, pls to search next time. i asked this question and answered it days later when i got mine.